BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 13, 2012 10:17 pm  #81

Re: Chit-chat

ohhh  Sammy  thank  you!!   WHY  do  the ppl who dress the characters think that clothes  look better when they are tight?  that shirt, when he's wearing the blazer--it looks too tight on him,  poor man. 

thanks everyone for  answering my kindle questions.  I'm  not computer savvy either,  so  I  gotta ask questions. this board is pretty great with that!!   So,  hepzibah----  you  have the kindle app,  then you transfer the  text  from your computer to your laptop,  is that in place of a kindle?   

Veecee--  try another button on your remote, sorry this didn't work for you.  I  just  put in my dvd  and  I can zap thru the trailers.

OK   has anyone  seen  HAMLET  starring david tennant and patrick  stewart?   I've  just  watched it,  at  first I thought,  WRONG CLOTHING!!!   THE TIME IS WRONG!!!!     you see they  were filming HAMLET  on  location,for a play, and the clothing was modern instead of 1500  attire--and they  were doing the lines as written by shakespeare.   Once I got into it,   I  didn't care abt the clothing.  the actors there really  did an excellent job of bringing the play to life.

I  gotta go--  my  snack is waiting for me!!   bye

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

July 13, 2012 11:43 pm  #82

Hehe

Yes, I love this version of Hamlet! I have it on DVD. Sure, it's kind of a modern adaptation... also with the video cameras and stuff. But that's part of the fun ;)  I guess we've all seen "traditional" adaptations of Hamlet already so that's a nice new kind of interpretation!
I actually loved what they did with the costumes to show how Hamlet changes... that shirt! 

July 14, 2012 12:16 am  #83

I'm so tempted to buy this version.   yeah  that shirt made me flutter.   Just a bit.   Put Ben in it,  and you get the picture?   I  have only seen one adaptation  of Hamlet--  that was at a small town theater here in town,  and they used the right clothing in there. This happened a long time ago when I could hear better.     (I had the book with me,  and So  I could "follow"  the words as they were spoken)  Did you know--  Shakespeares son was named Hamnet,  but then Martha jones and the doctor went  back in time,  and  Martha sort of encouraged shakespeare to  sort of change the lad's name to Hamlet----

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

July 14, 2012 1:29 am  #84

Doctor Who 

Wish they would come out with more Shakespeare stuff in the US. All the Shakespeare movies I know of are old and not very good 

July 14, 2012 1:59 am  #85

Watching Shakespeare done in period clothing just doesn't do much for me any more.  I love the creativity of newer adaptions.  Most recent one I saw was Patrick Stewart in Macbeth on PBS.  Just brilliant! The 3 witches were these really weird and scary infirmary nurses. 

One night hubby and I had a Romeo and Juliet marathon.  First Franco Zeffirelli's version with Len Whiting, then Leo DiCaprio and Clare Dane in the most modern version this side of West Side Story and then "Shakespeare in Love" - a gem of a movie.  What a blast!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And I said "dangerous" and here you are.

You. It's always you. John Watson, you keep me right.

July 14, 2012 7:01 am  #86

Oops, kitty. i made a mistake in my post about my Kindle. I should have said I download ebooks from Amazon to my laptop, then to my Kindle. Wel, it was 1.30 in the morning and I was half asleep  .

And, OMG, the purple shirt of sex and BEN'S HANDS, I love, love, love his hands

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FREE PUSSY RIOT

I wish the real world would just stop hassling me - Rob Thomas

Did I mention that I have a Kindle?

#destroythejoint

July 14, 2012 10:10 pm  #87

well,  keeper,   I'd prefer that the writers fit  the dialogue to the clothes worn...that's what gets me sometimes.

My  hunch was correct,  then,  hepzibah.  I forgive you--I  know  the feeling of being half asleep.   ..

gotta start planning for my vacation with my mum.  Let's see,  I've booked all the hotels,  got our tickets for shows,  etc,  now all i have to do is plan the route to get there.  It'll be easy since I have been there.  We're going this way,  then that  way,  and we want to go over there....I'm  looking fwd to it....here's hoping that everything goes according to plan.   No  I  cannot say  where we are going...just--  we're going and that is the end of that. 

Have a loverly day everyone!!

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

July 14, 2012 10:25 pm  #88

Question that has no relevance whatsoever:
Should I rechristen my viola?
I originally named him Martin after Martin Freeman/Luther (we were studying Luther in history at the time) but now I'm wondering if it's time for a change.

Possible candidates: "Holmes", "Watson", "Mycroft", or "Spock" (after both Spock himself and Sherlock)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Initials SH and proud owner of a viola named Watson.

Potential flatmates should know the worst about each other.

It's a three patch problem.

I didn't know; I saw.

July 14, 2012 10:57 pm  #89

I think Watson would be good!
(Also, do you know any rhymes for the alto clef, I'm really stuck!!)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I was wondering if you'd like to have coffee...
Hmm. I really don't know. Oh, I'm sorry, did I say 'know'? I meant 'care'. I don't really care. 
Douglas Richardson, Cremona

July 14, 2012 11:54 pm  #90

Smoggy - I love the idea of 'Mycoft the Viola'

Kitty - have fun planning your trip!   very exciting to anticipate an adventure.    So, I have used Kindle and Nook-  I currently mostly use my Nook e-reader
(e-reader-  it's not a tablet,  so not meant to be as feature-full as the Kindle Fire or Ipad).    Advantages-  the Nook's form factor (small, ergonomic, intuitive),
battery life - (I don't plug it in or turn it off for weeks, really!),  and the small built-in light - for bedtime or bright sunlight reading.   Love that! I like that I can organize
stuff in 'shelves'.    Can jump around anywhere in a book.  3 methods of page turning, etc.

Both formats can do instant dictionary word lookup..  can choose your fonts, make notes..  I love checking out digital library books.    Can also load your own pdf's
and photos.  (Nook has external 32gb SD micro memory slot if you want to load more too.)   

Advantage of Kindle - the Amazon/Kindle selection!   Though Nook still has thousands of possibilities - enough for me,  but it's not quite as extensive.
Kindle uses Amazon's 'Kindle' proprietary format.  Nook uses 'Epub' format - an open standard, and is the format available on the biggest variety of e-readers.
(Of course, Kindle has the biggest market share, so that doesn't matter to most people.   It's like the monolithic ITunes of reading..)

You can't go wrong with either.   Try out both and see what you like.  If there's something available only on one format and not the other, that can help you decide.
If you want more than just reading  (like audio,web browsing, etc) , then Kindle has the edge.
I just love love love my little Nook.

July 15, 2012 1:12 am  #91

smoggy--Isn't it too late to change an instrument's name?   Ok  well if you insist,  how about SPLOCK?   (sherlock + Spock = Splock)   

Jenosborn--So  you've used BOTH  the kindle and the nook,  I'm  guessing, in the same place,  right?  (at a hot spot  or in your house which is set up for wi-fi via a router)  I   am more inclined to get a kindle fire.   My  step mom has that and she adores it.  I  want it so  that when I travel,  I can take  the web  (for i711relay  deaf phone service via the web---I can't hear on cell phones)  and check my email.  plus  I can load the books.   I  have another question--  Can you delete books  when you don't want them anymore?   Thank you SOOOO  much for chatting with me abt this.

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

July 15, 2012 2:24 am  #92

SKItty-  yes I've used them both, in wifi hotspots or at home.   My fondness for the small nook is its simplicity as just an e-reader-  (and the LED screen of
Kindle was harder on my eyes,  but that may just be me.)   If you also want web browsing, video watching,  and ability to check your email on same device,
Kindle Fire sounds like a great choice,  probably ideal for your needs.  (I think they have an app for reading email).    And yes, you can delete books when you don't
want them (And because many of them you likely actually purchased, they remain available usually at no charge to download again later to your device).   And digital
Library books are a godsend-   if you don't remember to check them back in before their due dates,  they just disappear!

July 15, 2012 2:55 pm  #93

Molly Hooper wrote:

I think Watson would be good!
(Also, do you know any rhymes for the alto clef, I'm really stuck!!)

That's a hard one. I can't think of anything that rhymes with 'celf', even.

I didn't know; I saw.

July 15, 2012 3:11 pm  #94

Oh, no, sorry, smoggy, I didn't mean like that!
I meant like All Cows Eat Grass and Every Good Boy Deserves Football.
Do you know any for the notes on the alto clef?

Hmm. I really don't know. Oh, I'm sorry, did I say 'know'? I meant 'care'. I don't really care. 

July 15, 2012 3:17 pm  #95

Hey Molly
I just goggled 'what rhymes with alto clef' so I could give you a smart arse answer and this site came up ! Maybe it will be useful.

http://www.abrsm.org/forum/lofiversion/index.php/t8144.html

Last edited by hepzibah (July 15, 2012 3:18 pm)

FREE PUSSY RIOT

#destroythejoint

July 15, 2012 8:31 pm  #96

Molly  I'm guessing that  those capped letters are notes on the instrument?  I  play Piano, so  Cunning Dog Eats Fruit Gelatin Ace    My  music teacher had a  better phrase but I've forgotten  what it is. 

Have a nice day  everyone,  remember to eat all your vegetables  and stay cool.

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

July 16, 2012 4:04 pm  #97

Molly Hooper wrote:

Oh, no, sorry, smoggy, I didn't mean like that!
I meant like All Cows Eat Grass and Every Good Boy Deserves Football.
Do you know any for the notes on the alto clef?

I never heard those! I could make one up. For the spaces, (going up) Good Boys Don't Fall, for the lines (also going up) For All Children Eat Goo. These aren't very good, but the first one at least has a mild Sherlock association.

I didn't know; I saw.

July 16, 2012 4:14 pm  #98

Thanks, Smoggy!
You see, I've got my grade 5 theory in November (I know, but I like to be prepared) and I can just  never remember...

July 17, 2012 5:23 pm  #99

Ah, I feel like I haven't posted here for too long...

Hm, Smoggy, I also like Mycroft!
It's just a cool name in general. Imagine having a dog called Mycroft... I think you could call his name pretty good. "Come here, Mycroft!"

So it's GBDF and FACEG?
Well, "Good boys don't fall" is pretty good. And the other one - you can read it like "Faceg". Like an actual word. That helps me remember stuff.

July 18, 2012 12:06 pm  #100

Changing the subject slightly, I have just watched an old episode of Doctor Who, a local tv station is showing repeats ever night and I dip in an out. This ep is the one where Rose and a version of 10 (Tennant) end up living happily ever after, which was nice 

Of course, you could change the saying to eight words "I'm a doctor and he's a consulting detective"

Last edited by hepzibah (July 18, 2012 12:10 pm)

FREE PUSSY RIOT

#destroythejoint

Board footera