BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 2, 2013 12:32 pm  #881

Re: Chit-chat

besleybean wrote:

Some areas of Scotland(like us) still have the tradiional 2 week ' tattie' hols in October, which I don't like.

Tattie?  What is?

My husband's company was bought out by another company headquartered in the UK and Belgium about three years ago. They've just brought their American employees into the (European) fold as far as paid time off goes, so the husband now has SIX weeks of paid leave every year! Unheard of in the States, where most people get no paid vacation time, and the lucky ones get two weeks. Six weeks! He hardly knows what to do with himself, lol. He has about 15 years in with that company, so he is a senior employee, but wow. We are so happy about this.

June 2, 2013 12:37 pm  #882

Sorry, ' tattie' is Scots for potato. They have the 2 weeks for picking potatoes...but nobody does!
Local gov hols are usually 4 paid weeks per year.  You only get more for long service.
I get 12 weeks, working in school, but will only get paid for 5, I think.

Last edited by besleybean (June 2, 2013 12:37 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

June 2, 2013 12:42 pm  #883

besleybean wrote:

Sorry, ' tattie' is Scots for potato. They have the 2 weeks for picking potatoes...but nobody does!  Local gov hols are usually 4 paid weeks per year.  You only get more for long service.
I get 12 weeks, working in school, but will only get paid for 5, I think.

Picking potatoes! Wow. Now there's a throw-back to the old days, huh?  My husband grew up in Idaho, which is a pretty famous potato-growing place, and he remembers when they had certain times off here and there so the farm kids could go pick crops. I don't know if that exists anymore, though.

And what's a bank holiday? I've always wondered.

June 2, 2013 12:44 pm  #884

A day when all the banks and post offices are closed.
Public holidays are when all local government workers are off work.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

June 2, 2013 12:57 pm  #885

besleybean wrote:

A day when all the banks and post offices are closed.
Public holidays are when all local government workers are off work.

Yeah, I get that. But what are they *for*, lol?  Why do the banks and POs have certain days they're closed? What are they doing, resting? Cleaning the floors and washing windows and painting the walls, while the public is barred from their doors, what?

June 2, 2013 1:21 pm  #886

Oh I guess it's just convenient for the business world, if they know there are set days of the year when they can't conduct such financial business.
The bank and P.O workers are just taking hols convenient to the financial world!

Last edited by besleybean (June 2, 2013 1:23 pm)

June 2, 2013 6:56 pm  #887

Here the schools always close for Bank Holidays as well. Lots of other people will also have Bank Holidays off work but will not necessarily get paid for them and they might count towards some of their annual leave.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

June 2, 2013 6:58 pm  #888

I think my bank hols are extra.
Our schools(in Scotland) are not always closed bank hols.

June 3, 2013 8:06 pm  #889

I love bank holidays, that feeling of waking up on a Monday knowing you don't have to even bother getting out of bed...
.... then you realise you have to pee.
[insert expletive here]

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

'Non Solum Ingenii Verum Etiam Virtutis'

June 3, 2013 11:06 pm  #890

Mnemosyne wrote:

I love bank holidays, that feeling of waking up on a Monday knowing you don't have to even bother getting out of bed...
.... then you realise you have to pee.
[insert expletive here]

Oh my god, I know that. So annoying.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Falling is just like flying, except there’s a more permanent destination."

"Sherlock Holmes is a great man, and I think one day—if we’re very very lucky—he might even be a good one."

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

June 11, 2013 7:08 am  #891

And,  they  usually  have an extra bank holiday  when a Royal  gets married.    My  relative lives in Europe,  and she gets a month holiday every year!!!   I  have no idea if she gets paid or not.  If I  was working , I'd rather live in the UK.   

Nitey nite!!   this kitty  needs a nice long quiet nap.  

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

June 14, 2013 10:48 pm  #892

I have just eaten a large bag of spicy sweet chili crisps and I shouldn't have done. I am sharing my guilt here! 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

June 15, 2013 1:01 pm  #893

Ooh, I love sweet chilli crisps!!

I was wondering if you'd like to have coffee...
Hmm. I really don't know. Oh, I'm sorry, did I say 'know'? I meant 'care'. I don't really care. 
Douglas Richardson, Cremona

June 15, 2013 6:07 pm  #894

I was only going to eat a handful and whoosh! Suddenly they had all gone! 

June 15, 2013 9:47 pm  #895

My husband's company picnic was at the local amusement park for the first time in three years (no one was coming to the last two because they sucked)...so it was us and our two kids.  My husband pushed around our 1 year old while I rode some big rides with my 4 year old daughter.  Lots of fun, I love rollercoasters  We rode all three water rides, so now I'm soaked, lol.

__________________________________________________________________Bigby: Will you shut up?
Colin: Well, maybe if my throat wasn’t so parched, I wouldn’t have to keep talking.
Bigby: Wait, that doesn’t make se-
Coline: Just give me a drink, please.

June 16, 2013 1:40 am  #896

sj4iy wrote:

My husband's company picnic was at the local amusement park for the first time in three years (no one was coming to the last two because they sucked)...so it was us and our two kids.  My husband pushed around our 1 year old while I rode some big rides with my 4 year old daughter.  Lots of fun, I love rollercoasters  We rode all three water rides, so now I'm soaked, lol.

Wheee! What fun! I'll bet the kids loved it. Even the little guy probably enjoyed being outside, the bright colors all around, being with Dad, etc.

June 16, 2013 7:13 am  #897

What fun! We all really love roller coasters and other fierce rides. 

June 16, 2013 11:06 pm  #898

Davina wrote:

What fun! We all really love roller coasters and other fierce rides.

Which, when you think about it, is probably why we all enjoy the Sherlock fandom so much. Wheeeeeee! Hang on tight everybody!

June 22, 2013 10:13 pm  #899

Harriet, your inbox is full!
Anyway, good night and sweet dreams everybody!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

June 23, 2013 1:25 am  #900

Go Boston Bruins!

It's 3:20 am over here in Germany. I'm joining my hubby in watching Hockey to support Dennis Seidenberg! (*yawn*)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

Board footera