BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 20, 2013 4:15 pm  #661

Re: Chit-chat

Definitely don't ride a bike at night without lights- law or not. You cannot be seen by drivers and pedestrians and it is dangerous.

DramaGod I have heard of Revolver.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

January 20, 2013 8:14 pm  #662

Dramagod wrote:

Spent the whole weekend at this local 4th annual The Beatles Happening event. There was bands from several countries.....all I bought was a poster of Sgt.Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band that'll look nice on the wall of my new apartment.

Sounds like great fun! Beautiful, classic, fun rock music-- how can you miss? I'm old enough to have been a huge (young) teenage fan of the Beatles, back when they were a new idea, just arrived from Britain to make us US girls scream, lol. I Watched them on the Ed Sullivan Show on TV on those Sunday nights when they made appearances (those appearances are up on you tube, if anyone wants to see the old black and white footage). I went with a friend to see them live in Boston in the fall of 1964 (I've never forgotten this-- the tickets were $4.50 each for seats in the nosebleed section-- can you imagine?) I couldn't hear a thing, because of the screaming, but it was cool, just breathing the same air as John, Paul, George and Ringo. *grin*

January 20, 2013 8:21 pm  #663

ancientsgate wrote:

Dramagod wrote:

Spent the whole weekend at this local 4th annual The Beatles Happening event. There was bands from several countries.....all I bought was a poster of Sgt.Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band that'll look nice on the wall of my new apartment.

Sounds like great fun! Beautiful, classic, fun rock music-- how can you miss? I'm old enough to have been a huge (young) teenage fan of the Beatles, back when they were a new idea, just arrived from Britain to make us US girls scream, lol. I Watched them on the Ed Sullivan Show on TV on those Sunday nights when they made appearances (those appearances are up on you tube, if anyone wants to see the old black and white footage). I went with a friend to see them live in Boston in the fall of 1964 (I've never forgotten this-- the tickets were $4.50 each for seats in the nosebleed section-- can you imagine?) I couldn't hear a thing, because of the screaming, but it was cool, just breathing the same air as John, Paul, George and Ringo. *grin*

That was a nice story, thanks for sharing. Sadly I'm a tad too young to have seen The Beatles but I did see Ringo here in mid-90s. Seeing the band must've been an experience one remembers for life. You're among the lucky ones, you know. I sincerely think they'll never be such a popular band that's as huge a phenomenon as Beatles were. At least the kind that 50 years from now millions of people still listen to them and thousands of musicians play their songs. To me Beatles's influence on musicians and amateur songwriters (like myself) will last pretty much forever.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My blog: 3sidestoeverystory.tumblr.com

January 20, 2013 9:06 pm  #664

Dramagod wrote:

That was a nice story, thanks for sharing. Sadly I'm a tad too young to have seen The Beatles but I did see Ringo here in mid-90s. Seeing the band must've been an experience one remembers for life. You're among the lucky ones, you know. I sincerely think they'll never be such a popular band that's as huge a phenomenon as Beatles were. At least the kind that 50 years from now millions of people still listen to them and thousands of musicians play their songs. To me Beatles's influence on musicians and amateur songwriters (like myself) will last pretty much forever.

They were (and IMO, still are) a phenomenon. Once in a lifetime. They had the look, the winning personalities, the showmanship and the songwriting talent-- it was a great combo. Other bands have tried, but there hasn't ever been anyone like them since. Seeing them on TV and in person are some of my fondest memories, yes, ones I surely will never forget. Back in those days, there were no VCRs, so you saw something once on TV, and that was it. No internet. Except for listening to our records and the radio and buying fan magazines with all the latest pictures and gossip, we had no ongoing source of information or contact. It made us very hungry indeed-- starving, in fact!--  to find out more about our idols, hear them, see them, etc. It was great fun, but also a time of more than a little unfulfilled longing! *grin*

Last edited by ancientsgate (January 20, 2013 9:07 pm)

January 20, 2013 11:53 pm  #665

Hey, I've been doing some Beatles related stuff for work: I recently did some interviews with Angie McCartney and Julia Baird.
Here are the raw interviews:
http://a-w-riter.livejournal.com/
Also been doing some audio blogs for my current employers. And wouldn't you know it mentions a certain fan-famous hospital (and I even managed to slip the word 'deduct' in there without anyone noticing )
http://clinicaladmin.tumblr.com/
God I love my job(s)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

'Non Solum Ingenii Verum Etiam Virtutis'

January 21, 2013 7:23 am  #666

Very interesting stuff. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 21, 2013 9:12 am  #667

Thank you... currently snowed in (sometimes my Monday morning prayers are heard.) Anyone else?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

January 21, 2013 9:19 am  #668

We have snow but my children had to go to school anyway. They weren't too happy about it. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 21, 2013 2:15 pm  #669

SusiGo wrote:

We have snow but my children had to go to school anyway. They weren't too happy about it. 

D'aww, bless 'em.

I still have to go to work. But today my travel arrangements involve going a whole three feet from bed to PC (*gasp*)... honestly I could work in nothing but a sheet today and no one would ever know!

Best not though... it's a bit nippy.

January 21, 2013 2:38 pm  #670

Mnemosyne wrote:

I still have to go to work. But today my travel arrangements involve going a whole three feet from bed to PC (*gasp*)... honestly I could work in nothing but a sheet today and no one would ever know!

Oh, you have the same at-home wear as Sherlock then? Turn up the heat, it'll be comfy, even in a sheet. Might be a bit hard to answer the door, though, dressed like that, although it never stopped Sherlock. *grin*

January 21, 2013 4:46 pm  #671

ancientsgate wrote:

Mnemosyne wrote:

Oh, you have the same at-home wear as Sherlock then? Turn up the heat, it'll be comfy, even in a sheet. Might be a bit hard to answer the door, though, dressed like that, although it never stopped Sherlock. *grin*

*Grin* No door answering then... not unless the clients want a real eyeful. 
It's entirely their prerogative.

January 23, 2013 8:31 am  #672

I'm very proud of my daughter. She passed the driving test today in spite of snow and ice and drove me home afterwards. 

January 23, 2013 8:50 am  #673

That's wonderful, Susi - congrats to your daughter! When I look out of my window I can confirm the tricky conditions that driving test must have been passed under.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

January 23, 2013 9:14 am  #674

My congrats to Lena! When she managed the test right now, there won't be any problems in the future! ;-)

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

January 23, 2013 9:15 am  #675

Lena says thank you. She was lucky. The examiner told her she wouldn't have to drive on the motorway and let her drive through town all the time. Great feeling to sit beside her on the passenger seat. 

January 23, 2013 9:32 am  #676

Great news, best wishes for her driving future! 

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

January 23, 2013 10:20 am  #677

Congratulations to your daughter. Well deserved! I was so scared when I took my driving test.

January 23, 2013 10:31 am  #678

She was quite nervous and, what was worse, had to get up five hours earlier than without the test.  The start such things insanely early here in Germany.

January 23, 2013 8:21 pm  #679

All Hobbits are gone AGAIN! Why didn't we buy more??

http://www.brandt-kekse.de/hobbits_kernig.php

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

January 23, 2013 9:58 pm  #680

Good to hear your daughter passed the test. I didn't pass the driving test until my second try. On my first try I was so nervious I almost drove under a truck and over an old lady. Second time went better though and I passed.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My blog: 3sidestoeverystory.tumblr.com

Board footera