BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 21, 2012 4:12 pm  #601

Re: Chit-chat

Davina wrote:

You lucky thing. It's dull, overcast and raining here and forecast to be all day.

Davina, what's that little creature the hand is holding in your icon pic?

October 21, 2012 4:19 pm  #602

Isn't it an otter?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

October 21, 2012 4:33 pm  #603

besleybean wrote:

Isn't it an otter?

Oh! *takes another look*  A teeny baby otter? The pic is so small, I couldn't make out any features much, just a rolled up little ball of something with fur, lol. OK, I get it.

October 21, 2012 5:27 pm  #604

Oh no, I thought it was a baby coala - that's why I mentioned Australia, Davina 

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

October 21, 2012 5:58 pm  #605

It's little paws have little fingers...sooo cute. I loved reading Ring of Bright Water when I was a child.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

October 21, 2012 6:01 pm  #606

I read it recently.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

October 30, 2012 4:46 pm  #607

It's effing cold outside.

October 30, 2012 4:55 pm  #608

Wintry, I'd say. Bit early. But I heard it's going to be warmer again. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

October 30, 2012 6:04 pm  #609

It has been a bit warmer here but then it is getting colder again. It got down to near freezing the other night, this is early for us!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

October 30, 2012 8:47 pm  #610

I hope it's going to be a bit warmer! There is only so much layers one can wear. 

October 30, 2012 9:07 pm  #611

I live in New England, on the US east coast, and we just went through the Hurricane Sandy mess.  During a 75 MPH gust of wind yesterday evening, a big pine tree fell on *both of* our cars. They got hauled away on a big flatbed tow truck this morning, and it's possible one or both of them won't be coming home if they're deemed unrepairable. We also got a small amount of damage to our house where the tree grazed it on the way down. We're fully insured, so hopefully the financial fallout on both vehicles and the house will "only" be about 1000 bucks, but...  I do wonder why these things happen.

October 30, 2012 9:12 pm  #612

You were just unfortunate that the hurricane took a very Easterly route.

October 30, 2012 9:13 pm  #613

Had our first real acoustic duo real rehearsal with microphones and stuff with my cousin today. I had forgotten how good it feels to sing to a mic when you hear your own voice so well. Especially one that has little of that nice echo. We're rehearsing these songs at the moment:

Beautiful World (Coldplay)
Fields of Gold (Sting)
We All Need Some Light (Transatlantic)
The Blower's Daughter (Damien Rice)
Polly (Nirvana)
Wonderwall (Oasis)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My blog: 3sidestoeverystory.tumblr.com

October 30, 2012 9:54 pm  #614

AG reminds me of the 'hurricane' we had here in 1987. Trees down on cars, through roofs, boats up on roads. It even stopped the tide coming in up the Thames Estuary. We had no warning. The classic weather forecast on the TV has a chap called Michael Fish reassuring a lady who had called in worried that this major storm was going to hit  that it wasn't. It did! We had gusts over 100 m.p.h. Whole forested areas were wiped out, just like a great big foot had stepped down on them.

Drama...sounding good I hope. Makes a massive difference to be able to hear yourself. Good playlist so far.

Last edited by Davina (October 30, 2012 9:57 pm)

October 30, 2012 11:35 pm  #615

Davina wrote:

We had gusts over 100 m.p.h. Whole forested areas were wiped out, just like a great big foot had stepped down on them.

Yes, this mess we just got through was "only" a category 1 hurricane.  Katrina, for instance, that wiped out New Orleans and three states in that coastal area a few years ago, was a category 4. I cannot imagine it.... very scary, with the wind howling and sheets of sideways rain.

We had a "Big Foot" kind of storm in December '08 here, except the problem was snow and rain, followed by extremely low temps. All the trees were coated with a half inch of ice, and down they came, everywhere, on and around everything. That time, we had no electric power for a whole week, due to falling trees and branches snapping the power lines, and we ended up in a hotel in a nearby town. Are the storms getting worse, or is it just that I'm getting older and can't tolerate this stuff anymore?

October 31, 2012 7:06 am  #616

Personally I think the storms are getting worse. Even our general weather has been pants! A 'proper' hurricane/typhoon is unimaginable really...to me. Wishing you well.

October 31, 2012 7:12 am  #617

Davina wrote:

Personally I think the storms are getting worse. Even our general weather has been pants! A 'proper' hurricane/typhoon is unimaginable really...to me. Wishing you well.

Agree. Even here, in the "secure" part of the world it becomes more. Very small cyclones here and there - becoming bigger slowly. More and more fallen trees and damaged roofs.... I wonder what will be in about 50 years.

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

October 31, 2012 7:25 am  #618

Abrupt temperature changes. Twenty degrees down in just a few days. Extremely strong rainfalls. It's quite disturbing.

All the best for those living on the East Coast. I hope you're safe.

Last edited by SusiGo (October 31, 2012 7:26 am)

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

October 31, 2012 12:26 pm  #619

ancientsgate wrote:

I live in New England, on the US east coast, and we just went through the Hurricane Sandy mess.  During a 75 MPH gust of wind yesterday evening, a big pine tree fell on *both of* our cars. They got hauled away on a big flatbed tow truck this morning, and it's possible one or both of them won't be coming home if they're deemed unrepairable. We also got a small amount of damage to our house where the tree grazed it on the way down. We're fully insured, so hopefully the financial fallout on both vehicles and the house will "only" be about 1000 bucks, but...  I do wonder why these things happen.

Sorry about your cars, AG, but glad you and yours are okay.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
What do 'real' people have, then, in their 'real' lives?

So we go round the sun; if we went round the moon, or round and round the garden like a teddy bear, it wouldn't make any difference.

The consolation of imaginary things is not imaginary consolation. -- Roger Scruton

October 31, 2012 5:52 pm  #620

AG, sounds like you suffered enough, but at least you weren't injured.
We even got high winds and rain all the way here in Michigan, and some people are without power. We're fine, though. Nothing compared with what you all went through.

Board footera