BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 5, 2012 10:25 am  #1

Benedict Cumberbatch to Star in the Simpsons

http://www.femalefirst.co.uk/celebrity/benedict+cumberbatch-246031.html

Benedict Cumberbatch is making a cameo appearance in 'The Simpsons' after a chance meeting in Los Angeles with the show's creators.

Benedict Cumberbatch is making a cameo appearance in 'The Simpsons'.

The British actor landed a voice role in the famous animated sitcom following a chance meeting in Los Angeles.

He explained: "I was at a meeting in the same place 'The Simpsons' is recorded and heard there was a part going in an episode.

I can't stand those shows; good grief Ben what have you done????!!!!!!!!!!!

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

July 5, 2012 10:28 am  #2

Re: Benedict Cumberbatch to Star in the Simpsons

Cumberbatch in the Simpsons? That's great. I love the Simpsons. Now that I think about it, he does have a perfect voice for the show. Sort of Kelsey Grammarish.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My blog: 3sidestoeverystory.tumblr.com

July 5, 2012 10:45 am  #3

Yuck, gag me. Say it ain't so Ben.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Disguise is always a self portrait

July 5, 2012 11:19 am  #4

Now, now folks - cut the poor boy some slack. He's doing what a really good actor should.  He's taking on lots of different roles in various mediums so as not to get stereotyped.   The way Sherlock is filmed allows him to do this.  I haven't watched the Simpsons in a long time and it's been on so long it may be getting a bit tired - but when I did watch it I found it had really amusing social commentary.  It wouldn't have lasted this long if it didn't have some redeeming qualities.  And you know, Ben might have loved this show from his younger days and was thrilled to have the opportunity to work with these iconic characters - kind of like jumping at the chance to be an extra on the set of Sherlock would be for us. He's only human 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And I said "dangerous" and here you are.

You. It's always you. John Watson, you keep me right.

July 5, 2012 12:14 pm  #5

It's not so much 'doing what a good actor should'; many fine actors stick with one medium. He's doing what he has always done. Long before Sherlock he made a decision to work in many different areas because that is what he enjoys.
Unfortunately, I don't particularly think The Simpsons is exactly anywhere near the same level as his other works. Frankly it lost its social commentary status ages ago; now it's just dished out in shovels to the masses.
In short, it's garbage.
Whoever is advising Ben should be sacked.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

July 5, 2012 12:18 pm  #6

But a vast array of iconic figures, actors and others, have 'appeared' on The Simpsons. It's fine...it's all fine.

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

July 5, 2012 12:22 pm  #7

They were already 'superstars'; Ben is still climbing the ladder.
Well it'll air soon & we can all move on.
Gatiss......... ruddy well write faster man!

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

July 5, 2012 12:51 pm  #8

Does this mean there's going to be a Sherlock-themed Simpsons episode? I might actually watch that.

July 5, 2012 12:57 pm  #9

Think about it from Benedict's perspective. I'm sure he knows how big a thing The Simpsons is. So many Hollywood stars and rockstars have gave their voices in the show during the years. Then he accidentally runs into some people who work in the show. They ask him if he'd like to do a small cameo in the show? Why would he say no? I thought it was so great that Ricky Gervais appeared in the show and he was the first guest star to ever be allowed to write his own lines (if I remember correctly). And they had that "24" episode with Jack Bauer lending his vioce. I think it's great that Benedict is doing this, as it'll give him more exposure and he has so recognizable voice, some are bound to recognize him as the Sherlock guy. I think this is great news.

I don't like when actors go to some stupid-ass reality TV shows or something like that, but this is The Simpsons for chrissakes. To quote Joey Tribbiani: "Way to go Ben!"

Last edited by Dramagod (July 5, 2012 12:57 pm)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

July 5, 2012 1:09 pm  #10

Good grief; the bar is set so low on entertainment these days.
It's a slapstick cartoon whose essence is the good old American 'rip off everything' theme.
Sorry, it's no great stepping stone to stardom. It's just a way to kiss ass to the Amercians. Unfortunately he's forgotten, he doesn't need them.

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

July 5, 2012 1:18 pm  #11

It's not a slapstick cartoon whose essence is the good old American 'rip off everything' theme. It's THE slapstick cartoon whose essence is the good old American 'rip off everything' theme. It's the longest running prime-time cartoon show ever and if it still wouldn't be above average and have a lot of viewers, it wouldn't be in the air. It was the first cartoon show on TV to do it the way it did. It has great value in television history. I didn't say it's a stepping stone to stardom. It's not. Because the people that lend their voices for the show are already well known people. But it's a cool platform to expand into. Who the hell wouldn't want to voice a yellow skinned cartoon character in the town of Springfield? It's like with Woody Allen. If you are asked to appear in his movie, you do it, even though you get the same pay that every other actor in the movie, no matter how big or small.

July 5, 2012 3:26 pm  #12

Simpsons, ey?
The first nine or so seasons of Simpsons are iconic and very smart  and irreverent ( at least in my opinion. As All- American as they are, they are also oh- so- critical of Anywhere USA). Nowadays they are dumbed down, but legendary as the show is, I don't think it'll demean Benedict. Neither it would make him a star ( he is already a star, and always will be a whip- smart sophisticated person, i don't think for a second he is in danger of selling out). Perhaps he wanted to do it becasue it's fun to voice a character alongside Homer and Lisa.

July 5, 2012 8:06 pm  #13

Wow, I really hope they do a Sherlock themed one. That would be SOOOO awesome. Love the Simpsons...although I kind of prefer Family Guy now I'm a little older.

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

July 5, 2012 9:05 pm  #14

Sherlock Holmes wrote:

Wow, I really hope they do a Sherlock themed one. That would be SOOOO awesome. Love the Simpsons...although I kind of prefer Family Guy now I'm a little older.

That would indeed be awesome. Sherlock would try to solve some crime in Springfield, like who stole the huge plastic donut from the roof of the donut place or something. I do think it would need Freeman as well, unless they worked it in the story why he isn't there.

July 5, 2012 9:11 pm  #15

Davina wrote:

But a vast array of iconic figures, actors and others, have 'appeared' on The Simpsons. It's fine...it's all fine.

Then he should wait until he is asked to host Saturday Night Live. Won't be much longer I should think.

Disguise is always a self portrait

July 5, 2012 9:15 pm  #16

Neil Gaiman recently did a voice acting stint on the Simpsons too... I think stars usually appear as themselves or as a character they're famous for. It's not a stepping-stone, it's a badge of honor... kind of hokey, maybe, but like getting your star on the walk of fame.

Anyway, if something both Neil Gaiman and Benedict do is wrong, I don't want to be right.

Last edited by imane nikko (July 5, 2012 9:16 pm)

July 6, 2012 3:32 am  #17

Dramagod wrote:

Sherlock Holmes wrote:

That would indeed be awesome. Sherlock would try to solve some crime in Springfield, like who stole the huge plastic donut from the roof of the donut place or something. I do think it would need Freeman as well, unless they worked it in the story why he isn't there.

Great idea! I wonder how his cartoon self will look. They will probably exaggerate his cheekbones

July 6, 2012 4:52 am  #18

Sounds like it's something Benedict wants to do.  Well that's fine.  I'm sure he thinks it could be fun, and that he'll have a great time doing it.

Good for him.   

I'm not really a fan of the show, except for its history,  but it could be very funny, so I'll watch his episode.  Same goes for Saturday Night Live.   If he really wants to do it,  fine,  although that's not something I'm particularly interested in seeing.   Most actors hosting that show prove pretty cringe-worthy.

Given that The Hobbit will be coming up over the holidays,  we may very possibly see Martin hosting SNL first.   He's appeared over the past years on American late night talk shows already, and is known to be a comedic talent.  I'd definitely watch for that.   And for a BC cameo during his episode.

July 9, 2012 7:51 pm  #19

Benedict in The Simpsons! Come on, that's awesome . Definitely gonna watch that..
Though it seems he will just be "some bloke"; since he appears to have joined the cast quite late.

Anyway, I found a drawing of our beloved Sherlock stars in Simpsons style...

fun :D

July 9, 2012 8:49 pm  #20

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

Board footera