BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 4, 2012 10:16 am  #1

Comedian Eric Sykes dies aged 89

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-18704263

Comedian and actor Eric Sykes has died at the age of 89, his manager has said.

Sykes was best-known for writing and performing in a series of TV sitcoms from the 1950s, including Sykes And A... alongside co-star Hattie Jacques.

He also starred in films including Monte Carlo or Bust, Absolute Beginners, Those Magnificent Men In Their Flying Machines and The Others.

Norma Farnes said: "Eric Sykes, star of TV, stage and films, died peacefully this morning after a short illness."

R.I.P.what a funny man he was.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

July 4, 2012 3:11 pm  #2

Re: Comedian Eric Sykes dies aged 89

I've just read this post and now I am a bit sad.
I liked Eric Sykes.
R.I.P.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

July 4, 2012 9:24 pm  #3

Very sad news. I was fortunate enough to see Eric Sykes quite a few years ago on stage at the Playhouse Theatre in Liverpool. Can't remember the name of the play but remember him very clearly.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

July 9, 2012 8:00 am  #4

I was listening to 'Last Word' BBC Radio 4's obituary programme yesterday and they had a great obituary for Eric Sykes. But also, low and behold, who should be contributing (a great deal) to the obituary but...BERYL VERTUE. Yes the mum of Sue, mother-in-law of Steven and major producer of our beloved Sherlock started her career with the BBC as P.A. to dear Eric, Spike Milligan, Tommy Cooper and Ray Galton. Apparently she used to worry, a bit, about Eric finishing his scripts as he spent so much time on the golf course but that is actually where he worked them all out in his head first. Apparently lunchtimes with the boys were often hysterically funny occasions.

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

July 11, 2012 4:16 pm  #5

At 89, he had a good innings 

This week also saw the deaths of Andy Griffiths and Ernest Borgnine. Why do deaths of famous people always happen in threes.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FREE PUSSY RIOT

I wish the real world would just stop hassling me - Rob Thomas

Did I mention that I have a Kindle?

#destroythejoint

Board footera