BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 2, 2012 3:15 am  #1

Smoggy's Personal Rec Thread

Inspired by the same kind of thread by Hepzibah. I read a lot, too, so if anyone's looking for good books I'll update this thread about every two or three days.

Rating system is based on Sherlock quotes, of course.
Wrong!: Do not read if you value your brain cells.
Dull: Lower than average. Way lower. Exercise caution.
Less than a seven: Worth getting on an E-reader or from the library. Not worth a trip to the bookstore for a $20/£12 hardback.
Something seven percent stronger: Good. Could be better.
This book, Henry!: Worth reading, definitely.
Four serial suicides and now a note!: GO GET IT NOW.

First victim: The Future of Us by Carolyn Mackler and Jay Asher.
This book left me unpleasantly surprised. While it was by no means a bad book, it failed to meet the high standards set by Mr. Asher in his book Thirteen Reasons Why. I was expecting a tour de force. This was not a tour de force. In my opinion this book will become very dated, very quickly. Recommended for the fellow under-twenties on this thread. Anyone else will probably be either bored silly, or left rolling in the aisles, because the main plot revolves around Facebook.

Recommendation: Less than a seven.

Second victim: Pigeon English by Steven Kelman
This book, unlike the predecessor in this thread, left me pleasantly surprised. I did not expect much, I have to say, but it blew me away with the stark reality of the whole book and the painfully accurate narration of the eleven-year-old boy who is the main character. The plot meanders slightly but is by no means too slow, and the middle and end are so brutal and harsh that I wanted to make a pot of tea and sit think about what I'd just read for hours on end. Amazing, amazing book.

Recommendation: Four serial suicides and now a note!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Initials SH and proud owner of a viola named Watson.

Potential flatmates should know the worst about each other.

It's a three patch problem.

I didn't know; I saw.

July 3, 2012 7:12 pm  #2

Re: Smoggy's Personal Rec Thread

Third victim: True Grit by Charles Portis
I enjoyed this book, although not to the degree that I liked Pigeon English. It's excellently written in very careful prose that makes the entire story very believable. I saw the movie before I read the book (bad Smoggy!) and I was surprised by the degree to which the movie followed the book. It's quintessentially American, and by those lines definitely requires a solid appreciation of the major facts of American history, particularly Native relations with the government and the civil war, but could probably be enjoyed by most people on this forum regardless.

Recommendation: This book, Henry!

Last edited by Smoggy_London_Air (July 3, 2012 7:13 pm)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I didn't know; I saw.

July 9, 2012 4:32 am  #3

Fourth Victim: The Last Sherlock Holmes Story by Michael Dibdin
Beware, ye who enter here. A fantastic "pastiche" of the canon stories, with truly brilliant writing and a brilliant initial characterization of Holmes that will ring closer to our favourite television series than it does to the canon. Watson, who remains the narrator, is lovable, tenacious, and intelligent, as as a reader I found myself growing closer to him as a character than Holmes (easy to see why if you read it). Although this review comes with a definite caveat. The ending borders on horrifying.

**MAJOR SPOILERS**
The plot twist is something that perhaps, if we didn't watch the series, we would never have seen coming, and sheds new light on Holmes's response of "now and then, yes," to Watson's inquiry over whether he is normally accused of murder. It is a heartbreaking story to Holmes-lovers, and in a way a triumph to Watson-lovers.
**END SPOILERS**

All in all, I can't say I really "recommend" this book. It was excellent, truly, but only a certain kind of Holmesian will enjoy it.

I didn't know; I saw.

July 9, 2012 4:52 pm  #4

Fifth Victim: The Prestige by Christopher Priest
Excellent, excellent book, unfortunately made less excellent by the fact that I saw the movie before I read it. Great, nonetheless, but if you haven't seen the movie, wait and read the book first. The way that the author sashays between different points of view while keeping the story easy (ish) to follow and making it entertaining and invigorating is nothing short of masterful. I'm looking forward to reading other books by this author. It takes place during the Victorian era in both England and the USA over the course of many years. For the two main narrators, both competing magicians in the international stage magic scene, the story begins at their childhoods in the 1850s and 60s and runs through the early 1900s. The book does plod in some places, but not intolerably. It deserves more than one read, for sure.

I didn't know; I saw.

July 9, 2012 5:43 pm  #5

Hi, Smoggy, I started reading Dibdin's book although I knew about the solution. I was curious. However, when I came to the scene where Watson discovers you know what I couldn't go on reading. For me it was just too much, too far away from the Holmes I like. He may have his darker sides but for me this definitely went against … well, some inner conviction. Can't express  it any better. But the writing was good. Did you read "Dust and shadow" by Lyndsey Faye? I really liked that one.

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

July 10, 2012 4:05 am  #6

**SPOILERS**
YOU READ THE DIBDIN. I've been anguishing over that for the past 24 hours. I kept thinking "Oh God, Watson's got it wrong, there's a solution, there's a rational explanation..." but noooooooo. I thought it was excellent writing despite the ending. I'd been imagining a Cumberbatch-type Holmes up to that point and I just kind of snapped away from that as soon as...that scene...happened. It shows a very strong, resilient side to Watson's character, though, and I liked that even if it meant what it did. (You can always tell when I'm going through a phase of alienation from the character. I always call him "Holmes". He's "Sherlock" when he's been on my good side, if that makes any sense. XD)
**END SPOILERS**

I want to read Dust and Shadow, but I haven't been able to get my hands on it. I checked my library, and I'm headed off to check the Overdrive e-book collection right now because of your recommendation. Now that I've read the premise I might need it to make a full recovery from the Dibdin. *shudder*

Last edited by Smoggy_London_Air (July 10, 2012 4:17 am)

I didn't know; I saw.

July 10, 2012 8:22 am  #7

SPOILERS: Yes, I felt the same way as you did. I knew what was coming but couldn't stop reading until THAT happened … I mean, the cocaine idea is not new, don't know if you read "The seven-percent solution" by Nicholas Meyer which is quite entertaining. But to make Holmes the absolute opposite of all he stands for, no, that's too much for me. END SPOILERS.

"Dust and Shadow" could just be the right thing for you after the Dibdin shock  . Same subject, but treated in a nice and classic way. I liked the characters very much.

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

July 12, 2012 9:18 pm  #8

I think I'll buy it for my eReader. Seems worth it. (Also because I can't get a ride to the bookstore. Sad times.)

Edit: Yay! I bought it. I'm in the middle of it now.

Last edited by Smoggy_London_Air (July 13, 2012 6:12 pm)

I didn't know; I saw.

August 10, 2012 4:05 am  #9

Sixth Victim: Dust and Shadow by Lyndsay Faye
Even better than the Dibdin, as far as Sherlock Holmes vs. Jack the Ripper goes, and that's saying something. Perfect recovery novel for having read the Dibdin. Although it's not written in perfect canonical style, this book comes very close and was simply a joy to read. While some canon stories tend to plod or have details that seem unnecessary, this book keeps the action coming. I was never bored. Highly, highly recommended for any Sherlock Holmes lover, whether you've read 0 canon stories, or all of them. This was a treat to read.

Recommendation: Four serial suicides and now a note!

I didn't know; I saw.

August 10, 2012 8:14 am  #10

Oh, I'm glad you liked Faye.

August 10, 2012 10:29 pm  #11

I  have The Last Sherlock Holmes Story by Michael Dibdin.  I found it long ago in a used book store.   I  could not believe what I read.   I've only read it twice. I don't know if I still have it.  When Sherlock (Ben C)  said that line about him being accused of murder now and then,  that book sprang to my mind.   you're right--it is worth reading.  But only for the not-faint-of-heart.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

August 13, 2012 1:26 am  #12

sherlockskitty wrote:

I  have The Last Sherlock Holmes Story by Michael Dibdin.  I found it long ago in a used book store.   I  could not believe what I read.   I've only read it twice. I don't know if I still have it.  When Sherlock (Ben C)  said that line about him being accused of murder now and then,  that book sprang to my mind.   you're right--it is worth reading.  But only for the not-faint-of-heart.

I tried to make a good photomanip of Sherlock (Benedict Sherlock, that is) superimposed over Victorian Whitechapel with the quote "do people usually assume you're the murderer?", but I'm rubbish at that kind of thing, so I scrapped it.

It was good, but I needed the Faye in order to fully recover from reading it. I still have it, but the library is ready to come after me for it. I've been getting rude emails for weeks.

I didn't know; I saw.

September 23, 2012 8:03 pm  #13

Seventh Victim: The Psychopath Test by Jon Ronson
Excellent, exquisite, hilarious, witty book. Recommended to anyone interested in the industry of madness, psychopaths, sociopaths, etc. Nonfiction, unlike the other books in this thread, but reads like a good novel. I breezed through it in two days between classes. Dark at times but always with an undercurrent of good healthy British dry humor. (Or is that humour?)

I didn't know; I saw.

Board footera