BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 2, 2012 3:47 am  #21

Re: What would you say if you met your favorite Sherlock actor?

Well, we've been wanting to get bees, so maybe in his retirement, Sherlock could look us up...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Perfectly sound analysis. I was hoping you would go a little deeper."

July 2, 2012 11:58 am  #22

I've actually done it a few times before, depending on the situation. If they are 'waiting for coffee' then it's a pretty relaxed atmosphere obviously (well it is if it happens that way Down Under anyway). Mainly it's been 'stars' in our own country; the closest mega-star type would have been Hugh Jackman but being an Aussie, he's a lovely guy anyway!
I also have 'age' on my side I guess.

So you're standing there waiting, or going to sit down & you come up to them & say something like "Well you either look too laid back that no-one's thinking it's you or your fans have a lot of respect for you. Is it good not to be running the gauntlet of fans all the time?" Or something to that effect.
Basically I mention how good it is to see they are happy enough to wander around; ask them have they had a busy time, or something else 'motherly' about chilling out. I never ask for autographs (I mean in reality why get them?) and I never ever ask them 'what's happening next?' or similar because they get that all the time  & you KNOW they won't tell you so why bother?

So if it were Ben, I'd probably say " Are you sure you have time for that coffee in between jobs? I'm amazed at your schedule; do you actually get a lot of 'down time' when you can enjoy a quiet coffee like this?"

Of course when it's all over, THEN I usually think of 20 witty things to say, but I think I get a better reaction when it's spontaneous. And the concern I have for them having some 'quiet time' is genuine. Mind you, I'm just a 'fan' who is taking up some of that time, but I'm not pushy so I don't see it as a problem.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

July 2, 2012 4:54 pm  #23

If it was Benedict I would probably say really quietly, "Hi, can I just shake your hand?" Because I wouldn't appreciate it if I was moderately famous and someone just screamed my name in a public place.

If it was Martin I would probably offer to buy his coffee. It's just the roles they play I'm sure, but Martin definitely seems more approachable. Plus Martin is only an inch taller than me. Definitely more approachable. He's also not quite as famous to non-Sherlockians, and his name is nowhere near as memorable. Ditto for Andrew Scott.

I know that if I ever met any of them although I call them by their first names here and on tumblr I'd refer to them as "Mr. Freeman, Mr. Cumberbatch, Mr. Scott."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Initials SH and proud owner of a viola named Watson.

Potential flatmates should know the worst about each other.

It's a three patch problem.

I didn't know; I saw.

July 2, 2012 5:12 pm  #24

I probably just stand there like an idiot for a minute or two then go, Hey, are you that guy from... Oh, Okay...
Then I'd probably walk off but realise I'd forgotten my purse or something dumb and have to go back to fetch it

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I was wondering if you'd like to have coffee...
Hmm. I really don't know. Oh, I'm sorry, did I say 'know'? I meant 'care'. I don't really care. 
Douglas Richardson, Cremona

July 2, 2012 5:53 pm  #25

I'd keep it short and sweet... just "Sorry to disturb you, but I just have to tell you how much I enjoy your portrayal of (whatever character). Thank you, and I wish you the best in your career."

And *then* I'd go somewhere out of sight and pass out.

July 2, 2012 6:42 pm  #26

Mattlocked wrote:

If I ever have the opportunity to write something to a more or less famous person or a person I like and want to impress (which happend here and there), it takes me weeks to find out what might be the best text.
So you can imagine what I would say: probably nothing - or something totally uninteresting or even stupid.... (I experienced this, too...)
I'm the kind of person who knows exactly the right words  - 5 minutes too late!

haha ooooh yes! it's always the same game: bad in confrontation and then - after a while of awkward thinking - knowing about 20 ways to beat every other argument! ;)

If I had the chance to stand behind/before Benedict at Starbucks or something like that I really would not know what to say in the very first moment. But then, I think I would turn around and just ask if he's in a hurry or if he wants to join me drinking a coffee at a near table or something. AND IF HE REALLY ANSWERS POSITIVE i would dance and jump around - in my head.

And in this stressless situation small talk would be the best of all. Just asking about how the filming goes on and how the chemistry on the set is etc. Just nothing special. and of course ask for a photo to remember this GORGEOUS of all days of my entire life! *faint*

I succeded if he tells just one person that he met a nice girl, who he had coffee with today...
haha

July 2, 2012 7:36 pm  #27

Smoggy - I'm with you. I might approach Martin Freeman differently because he does seem more approachable - but probably only because of the character he plays.  In real life he might actually be more difficult because he has more privacy to protect, i.e. Amanda and the children. 

Anyway, I can see myself (again in the older woman role) being a little less formal and trying to say something a little "cute" to him like, "Excuse me, sorry to bother you, but aren't you that wonderful, amazing, brilliant actor who left all our hearts sobbing and bleeding on the floor at the end of "The Reichenbach Fall" in Sherlock.  I can't imagine how you'll ever top that performance Mr. Freeman - but with your remarkable talent, you will, not a doubt in my mind you will. Continued success in all you do and best of luck always!  Bye."

Steve Moffat - He seems so ferociously intelligent and arrogant in interviews I'd be scared out of my wits and wouldn't even dream of approaching him. He'd probably swat me down like a gnat.  Mark Gatiss is another story.  From interviews I know he's had some securities in his life so I might relate to that and not be quite as nervous about approaching him. I'd probably still freeze up though.  That's why this thread......maybe if we read things we can say here, we will all be prepared for that fortuitious day when we run into one of these people.

And I said "dangerous" and here you are.

You. It's always you. John Watson, you keep me right.

July 2, 2012 7:44 pm  #28

Steve Moffat I'd just ask to please write more sheets into Sherlock.

July 2, 2012 10:05 pm  #29

sherlove wrote:

Mattlocked wrote:

If I ever have the opportunity to write something to a more or less famous person or a person I like and want to impress (which happend here and there), it takes me weeks to find out what might be the best text.
So you can imagine what I would say: probably nothing - or something totally uninteresting or even stupid.... (I experienced this, too...)

haha ooooh yes! it's always the same game: bad in confrontation and then - after a while of awkward thinking - knowing about 20 ways to beat every other argument! ;)

That is exactly my case

I think it's quite different if you meet someone you really admire in work environment or out of work. To date, I have met two actors and a wonderful singer, they all were amazingly kind. But, the actors were after a play (Viggo Mortensen) and during the filming of a movie (Liam Neeson), and the singer after a concert (Juan Diego Flórez). I have never met or seen anyone on a Starbucks or any other "relaxing" place. And when you are waiting to see someone you admire, you get nervous and then you can't really say what you wanted to say. At least, that's what happens to me. And I have pictures with all of them, but my face looks so stupid that I have promised myself I would never do that again (I really won't forget I have met them, so I don't need the pictures anyway)

Adding to that my pathological shyness (I don't now if that's the correct expression, forgive me if not).

So, in my case, my favorite Sherlock actors are Benedict and Andrew (and Martin, and Mark, and Rupert, and Loo, and Una...). But well, imagine I was in Starbucks and had Andrew or Ben by my side. I think what I would really want to tell them is "thank you". Just that.
And of course, to Andrew I would say I love his risky take on Moriarty, and I think it really works amazingly well. I would have to congratulate him for Sir Boast-a-lot story and Richard Brook in Kitty's flat.
I would also like to tell Ben that I think he is the most talented actor of his generation, and that I'm dying to see him on stage, something pretty difficult for me to be honest, but that would be amazing. And I would ask him to say "bored".

But in fact, it all would come out like this:

So yes, I think it's better if I never meet them in my life

Waiting for a crazy man in a blue box to fall from the sky...

But the thing is, we've taken away all the things that can possibly have happened, so I suppose the only thing that's left, even though it seems really weird, must be the thing that did happen, in fact. (Miss Marple)

July 2, 2012 10:10 pm  #30

Irene Adler wrote:

Oh, you don't mean that...

Hmm. I really don't know. Oh, I'm sorry, did I say 'know'? I meant 'care'. I don't really care. 

July 2, 2012 10:13 pm  #31

Vigo Mortensen? You lucky, lucky girl! My daughter will be very envious of you if I tell her. I like Liam too, his accent is nice; such a shame about his poor lady wife though.

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

July 2, 2012 10:58 pm  #32

Molly Hooper wrote:

Irene Adler wrote:

Oh, you don't mean that...

Molly, dear... I really mean it. I think if I ever had Benedict close enough to talk to him my ears would turn red, my tongue would be like a block of concrete and my legs would start shaking. Unless I had previously had a couple of beers, and then I would probably start talking a lot and really incoherently. So yes, yes, it's better that I never get close to any of them, it would be too embarrasing.

Davina, you can tell your daughter Viggo is probably the kindest man I have ever met. He is impressing in person (such an attractive man) but he also was really kind to all the people that were waiting to talk to him. He signed autographs, took pictures and asked everyone where were we from, how did we like the play... we got to chat a bit with him. Awesome.
And Liam is even more impressing. Taller than any other man I have ever seen and really elegant. And he was very nice too. When I heard what happened to his wife I felt very sad for him, she looked like a very nice woman. I felt it for Mrs Redgrave too (one of my favourite actresses)

But the thing is, we've taken away all the things that can possibly have happened, so I suppose the only thing that's left, even though it seems really weird, must be the thing that did happen, in fact. (Miss Marple)

July 3, 2012 1:17 am  #33

Tantalus wrote:

"Could you please hand me that hammer? Oh, and watch where you step..."
'cause, I rarely get away from the farm, so they would have to had ended up at my place for some reason.

You made my day!

Actually, if I meet Ben one day, I'll give no sign of recognizing him. If we are in Starbucks I think I'll try to say something funny and start a conversation just as with a stranger whom I liked and wanted to get acquainted with . Especially taking into account that he is tired from fans' attention and publicity, I'm sure he will enjoy simple chat.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Sherlock: "I need to get some air, we're going out tonight."
John: "Actually, I've uh, got a date."
Sherlock: "What?"
John: "It's where two people who like each other go out and have fun."
Sherlock: "That's what I was suggesting."

July 3, 2012 2:45 am  #34

Irene Adler wrote:

sherlove wrote:

Mattlocked wrote:

That is exactly my case

I think it's quite different if you meet someone you really admire in work environment or out of work. To date, I have met two actors and a wonderful singer, they all were amazingly kind. But, the actors were after a play (Viggo Mortensen) and during the filming of a movie (Liam Neeson), and the singer after a concert (Juan Diego Flórez). I have never met or seen anyone on a Starbucks or any other "relaxing" place. And when you are waiting to see someone you admire, you get nervous and then you can't really say what you wanted to say. At least, that's what happens to me. And I have pictures with all of them, but my face looks so stupid that I have promised myself I would never do that again (I really won't forget I have met them, so I don't need the pictures anyway)

Adding to that my pathological shyness (I don't now if that's the correct expression, forgive me if not).

So, in my case, my favorite Sherlock actors are Benedict and Andrew (and Martin, and Mark, and Rupert, and Loo, and Una...). But well, imagine I was in Starbucks and had Andrew or Ben by my side. I think what I would really want to tell them is "thank you". Just that.
And of course, to Andrew I would say I love his risky take on Moriarty, and I think it really works amazingly well. I would have to congratulate him for Sir Boast-a-lot story and Richard Brook in Kitty's flat.
I would also like to tell Ben that I think he is the most talented actor of his generation, and that I'm dying to see him on stage, something pretty difficult for me to be honest, but that would be amazing. And I would ask him to say "bored".

But in fact, it all would come out like this:

That's pretty much what I meant with my response to the question (i.e. "Brllbtthbrlmm "). Anyway, I'm glad you brought up this episode of Friends. I never watched that show, but somehow I happened upon this episode one day. It was hilarious. I'm laughing out loud just thinking about it. I'm going to watch the video so I can laugh some more. Gracias.

July 3, 2012 7:32 am  #35

This is a good thread!

I always imagine that if this ever happened I would be completely freaked out and not know what to say, but I have met a couple of famous people in the past and surprisingly it's always gone really great. The most famous being Paul McCartney...this was pretty easy because I'd already rehearsed what I was going to say and his response was exactly as I'd predicted so I was able to get my second sentence and everything went fine from there.

So, if I were to meet Benedict or Martin or one of the cast, I would try to just say something casual that was related to the situation. A lot of people have quoted coffee shops and so on, so I would maybe recommend something off the menu to him (even if I wasn't actually recommending it I'd just make it up just to get a conversation starter). If I was just walking past him in the street, then I would just hold out my hand for a handshake and say their name, I wouldn't stop them to try and talk if they were on their way somewhere. I'd also try to avoid any cliches like "I love your work..." or "I'm a big fan..."

If I met Steven Moffat or Mark Gatiss I would basically just try to sell them my latest script.

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

July 3, 2012 9:38 pm  #36

veecee wrote:

That's pretty much what I meant with my response to the question (i.e. "Brllbtthbrlmm "). Anyway, I'm glad you brought up this episode of Friends. I never watched that show, but somehow I happened upon this episode one day. It was hilarious. I'm laughing out loud just thinking about it. I'm going to watch the video so I can laugh some more. Gracias.

Yes, I think we both would sound quite similar
You should give Friends a try. It's the best sit-com I have ever seen

By the way, I think the only way I could speak to any of the Sherlock cast and make some kind of sense would be if I was dreaming or something

July 3, 2012 9:41 pm  #37

Well, you'd better get practising, Irene, Ben's going to save your life, remember?!

July 3, 2012 10:23 pm  #38

Molly Hooper wrote:

Well, you'd better get practising, Irene, Ben's going to save your life, remember?!

Oh, yes... I forgot about that, Molly.

I'll be in London the next week so... who knows? Maybe he will save me from falling into the Thames or something

July 3, 2012 10:28 pm  #39

Oh! How romantic!! 

July 3, 2012 10:34 pm  #40

Molly Hooper wrote:

Oh! How romantic!! 

Yes, it would be 
Anyway, him or anyone please save me... I suck swimming

Board footera