BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 1, 2012 6:09 pm  #1

What would you say if you met your favorite Sherlock actor?

So, I had this dream last night (which I posted on the dream thread) about being with some of the cast and crew at a restaurant but being completely tongue tied and not knowing what to say to anyone.  That got me thinking - what if you had a chance encounter with Ben or Martin, or any one of the people associated with this show, and you had less than 1 minute to say something to them before they rushed off.  What would it be? What would you say or do to make a memorable impression? 

Since I couldn't think of anything in my dream last night, I still can't think of anything right now - but I'm working on it.   
Of course the ultimate goal would be to say something so good that he or she would stop, take a second look, and then say "I'd like to hear more.  Why don't you come by the set and watch us film.  Maybe I can get you a part as an extra." 

Okay - so there he is!  Standing one foot away at the Starbuck's counter!  OMG!!!  Breathe deeply and say something. Go!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And I said "dangerous" and here you are.

You. It's always you. John Watson, you keep me right.

July 1, 2012 6:15 pm  #2

Re: What would you say if you met your favorite Sherlock actor?

Position of the car!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I was wondering if you'd like to have coffee...
Hmm. I really don't know. Oh, I'm sorry, did I say 'know'? I meant 'care'. I don't really care. 
Douglas Richardson, Cremona

July 1, 2012 6:15 pm  #3

I'd like to say something that indicated I was interested in the person and not just starstruck.  Maybe "How is Amanda?" 

I'm not the best at impromptu conversation.   

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It was worth a wound–it was worth many wounds–to know the depth of loyalty and love which lay behind that cold mask. The clear, hard eyes were dimmed for a moment, and the firm lips were shaking. For the one and only time I caught a glimpse of a great heart as well as of a great brain. All my years of humble but single-minded service culminated in that moment of revelation.

July 1, 2012 6:22 pm  #4

"I carried a watermelon!" 

John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

July 1, 2012 6:30 pm  #5

I guess I'm a coward but I'd tell my daughter to come up with something. When she goes to a concert she just walks backstage, has her photo taken with the musicians and so on. She's really good at that.

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

July 1, 2012 6:32 pm  #6

tobeornot221b wrote:

Sorry? I don't get it...

Hmm. I really don't know. Oh, I'm sorry, did I say 'know'? I meant 'care'. I don't really care. 

July 1, 2012 6:37 pm  #7

Molly Hooper wrote:

tobeornot221b wrote:

Sorry? I don't get it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O38URvsTjjM

John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

July 1, 2012 6:38 pm  #8

I had to look it up as well, Molly. It's a quote from "Dirty Dancing" and describes an embarrassing situation in which you want so say the right thing and end up saying something totally silly.

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

July 1, 2012 6:48 pm  #9

And I think we can all relate to that!

July 1, 2012 7:01 pm  #10

I'd say to Martin that I really like his brother Jamie's music. To Benedict I would say that I used to watch his mother in UFO and she is/was stunning.

Please don't ask me to choose between them because I cannot and will not.

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

July 1, 2012 7:05 pm  #11

"Hi Benedict, or should I call you Timothy? That IS your real name, isn't it?" 

Yeah,  but I'd still be so tongue-tied--I  have only met ONE  actor  in my lifetime,  and that came about when I was actually AT  the site they were filming at!!   No  it wasn't a sherlock actor,  sorry!!  I  still have fond memories of that day.  The actor I met was very kind,  signed a script for me,  and allowed me to watch some filming. I just praised his work, and said how much I loved the site he was filming at.   So--that was a special day for me.

Last edited by sherlockskitty (July 1, 2012 7:09 pm)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

July 1, 2012 7:05 pm  #12

I 'm usually pretty pushy and bold when I am out, I'd be tempted to go over and try and say something glib. But when push comes to shove I'd probably just tell them I was a huge fan and thank them for entertaining us. And i would definitely try to get a photo with them so I could post it here to make you all feel jealous

Disguise is always a self portrait

July 1, 2012 7:19 pm  #13

Molly, if it was at a Starbucks I'd go for your signature  .

July 1, 2012 7:22 pm  #14

Oh, yes!
That would be brilliant!

July 1, 2012 7:27 pm  #15

If I ever have the opportunity to write something to a more or less famous person or a person I like and want to impress (which happend here and there), it takes me weeks to find out what might be the best text.
So you can imagine what I would say: probably nothing - or something totally uninteresting or even stupid.... (I experienced this, too...)
I'm the kind of person who knows exactly the right words  - 5 minutes too late!

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

July 1, 2012 10:35 pm  #16

I think I'd just ask Ben a question. Any question really. Because we've all seen how he answers in essay form ;)
Perhaps I'd offer to buy his coffee as a thank you.

But I think, instead, I'd say something clever like Oh hey, I know you. You're that guy that was in MI-5 that one time.

Although I'm sure it'd come out something akin to ksdhfauhquwtenfndscghsd

Last edited by BrightBlueEyes (July 1, 2012 10:36 pm)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Fantastic."
Sherlock: "Meretricious."
Lestrade: "And happy new year."

"Oh, but we both know that's not quite true"

July 1, 2012 10:48 pm  #17

Oh yes, this is really tough isn't it.  So far, I'm afraid none of us would impress Sherlock with our cleverness.(happy. I know there's a fine line here. Actors and other creative people love to be validated - they live for accolades and applause - but they also don't like their privacy violated. 

Maybe in this situation (if I could think fast enough without dying on the spot) I might say, "Excuse me Mr. Cumberbatch, I don't mean to bother you, but it would be an honor if you would allow me to pay for your coffee". 

At which point he would refuse and I would then say, "Oh it's the least I can do to repay you for the hours of marvelous entertainment I've had watching you perform. I think you're one of the finest actors I've ever seen.  I wish you success in all your roles - and I hope to see you in everything - but I hope you will never stop being our Sherlock. We love you for bringing him to life so brilliantly. In my opinion it's never been done better. Best of luck to you always!"

Then, being an older woman, I might attempt a handshake hoping he would be too polite to refuse (giving me a chance to actually touch him ) then I would turn and exit stage left as quickly as I could before falling apart.  Yeah, it's pretty fangirly, but I don't think there's any way around it because it's really everything I would want to say.

After that, the best I could hope for would be for him to go home, have a little chuckle with his friends saying, "Hey this cougar wanted to buy me coffee today." 

July 2, 2012 3:12 am  #18

Brllbtthbrlmm. 

July 2, 2012 3:14 am  #19

"Could you please hand me that hammer? Oh, and watch where you step..."

'cause, I rarely get away from the farm, so they would have to had ended up at my place for some reason.

"Perfectly sound analysis. I was hoping you would go a little deeper."

July 2, 2012 3:27 am  #20

Tantalus wrote:

"Could you please hand me that hammer? Oh, and watch where you step..."

'cause, I rarely get away from the farm, so they would have to had ended up at my place for some reason.

Hey Tantalus, you never know.  They may need to film something at a farm.  Maybe "The Adventure of the Speckled Egg" or  "The Adventure of the Three Silos" of "The Corn Field Bazaar".  Why not choose yours?  It could happen 

Board footera