BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 1, 2012 11:04 am  #1

Other-Introduction-Type-Thing

OK, this is just a crazy idea – Wait, don’t look interested, it’s not that crazy!

I was thinking that we could have a separate thread in the introductions section for already-members to introduce themselves to newbies. I know some people do this already on each introduction but this way you would only do it once. Obviously you could still say Hi to each one but you wouldn’t need to introduce yourself as much.

If everyone just did one post each then it would be easier for new members to read, and as you wish to add more you can just edit that one post. I don’t think it should be anything major, just the trivia about yourselves that you may have already posted in other places but it would be nice and collected!

I thought I’d just post it her as an idea in case it’s a totally awful one, please tell me what you think of it!
I hope I didn't explain this too badly!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I was wondering if you'd like to have coffee...
Hmm. I really don't know. Oh, I'm sorry, did I say 'know'? I meant 'care'. I don't really care. 
Douglas Richardson, Cremona

July 1, 2012 11:08 am  #2

Re: Other-Introduction-Type-Thing

Hi, Molly, don't know if I get your meaning but it sounds like a good idea. You think of a thread where everybody has one post saying I'm … from … and do this and prefer that … and the newbies can look everyone up.

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

July 1, 2012 12:59 pm  #3

It could be titled "Members' self-bios".(pretty self explanatory I think)

I'd say it is a good idea; I won't make it I think Molly should start it as it was her idea. It will also show others exactly what she is suggesting. I understand it, that is why I suggested the title.

Hop to it Molly!
I also ask because we on staff all agree that the forum is for MEMBERS to fully participate. Make as many threads as you like about whatever you want. We're just here to tidy things up at times.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

July 1, 2012 1:15 pm  #4

Self-Bios? Is that like Auto-Biographies?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hmm. I really don't know. Oh, I'm sorry, did I say 'know'? I meant 'care'. I don't really care. 

July 1, 2012 1:28 pm  #5

I really like that idea...and I've been thinking about seperating the Introductions forum out into a different seciton for a while now anyway...I'll think of an appropriate title for the forum and sort it out today!

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

July 1, 2012 1:39 pm  #6

Okay!

July 1, 2012 2:04 pm  #7

What about Meet the Members?!

July 1, 2012 2:27 pm  #8

Good idea, Molly. You do count.

July 1, 2012 2:44 pm  #9

Good idea. But remember m0r's advice to be cautious about the amount and type of personal details you make public knowledge.

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

July 1, 2012 2:46 pm  #10

Yes, you don't want to be stalked!
I'll be sticking to trivia like favourite colour etc.

July 1, 2012 3:58 pm  #11

good idea molly...a self bio  about a member who has just ONE  post  is a good idea.   My  only  problem is,  whenever I update a post  elsewhere of mine,  the topic itself  doesn't go back  to the top of the list. It STAYS where it is, even tho I just updated MY  post in it.   So,  the boss should make it so that that new section for members bios,  can only  have ONE  topic,  and no other topic  on it.  I think your idea is a goood one.  And I never put a thread of my own on the introductions page--I introduced myself in other threads.

Last edited by sherlockskitty (July 1, 2012 3:59 pm)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

July 1, 2012 4:00 pm  #12

Or, couldn't we just pin it or something so it always stayed near the top!

July 1, 2012 4:40 pm  #13

So, should I make the thread or does some-one else want to?

July 1, 2012 5:28 pm  #14

I didn't understand a word of the last 13 posts but a new introductory thread sounds good.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My blog: 3sidestoeverystory.tumblr.com

July 1, 2012 5:32 pm  #15

Is that a language problem or a bad phrasing problem?

July 1, 2012 5:45 pm  #16

I'd like to say it's a three-patch problem but no. It's a chainsaw problem. I woke up this morning 6AM because the police were using a chainsaw to cut a hole on the door of my next door neighbor to get in and a couple of fire alarms went on because of the 'fumes'. I haven't been at my sharpest today because of the incident. Plus we had a two hour football practice under a burning sun so I'm beat. I'm sure all the posts by you people were perfectly fine, I just couldn't really concentrate on the issue. Why am I posting here then? Because of all the ladies. (I don't use smileys but if I did, I'd insert one here).

Last edited by Dramagod (July 1, 2012 5:45 pm)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

July 1, 2012 5:56 pm  #17

A chainsaw? Was it a drugs bust?!

July 1, 2012 6:04 pm  #18

All I heard was one of the cops were slapping the guy in the face to try and get him awake. And he wasn't a resident of the apartment and there was also a puppy. I've no idea what was going on, as I'm no Sherlock.

Board footera