BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 29, 2012 6:43 am  #1

Creation

Please excuse me if there is an existing thread for this movie, I searched and couldn't fine one. I'm very interested in English science in the 19th century and discovered that Ben played the biologist Joseph Hooker in this film about Darwin. Does anyone know it?

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

July 1, 2012 8:35 pm  #2

Re: Creation

Yes, I've watched it...
It was alright, I guess?
Well, it had some really good parts and it showed Darwin's emotional struggles quite good, but I sort of expected more... on his actual studies.
I enjoyed the parts where he told his daughter about his travels but everything about his sickness was kinda... boring?
Well, but that's just my opinion.

Oh, and there's not that much of Benedict in it.

July 1, 2012 8:59 pm  #3

Thanks, Sammy, for your opinion. I've got quite a lot of films waiting on my shelf so I'll first watch those with a bit more of Benedict in them  .

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

July 2, 2012 5:11 am  #4

When you say 'a bit more of Benedict'...?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

July 2, 2012 6:56 pm  #5

There's more Benedict than in The Whistleblower but less than in, e.g Wreckers. :D

October 7, 2012 4:49 pm  #6

My parents adore this one!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

November 4, 2012 4:52 pm  #7

Yeah, this movie was good, but it could have been better. I liked Darwin's struggle with his theory, especially given his wife's faith. I think having a real husband and wife play out the struggle helped and I thought they handled it well. His illness should have been a bit more defined and I also didn't get a very clear view of his work or how it evolved. (no pun intended  )

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is a cash and carry world. You pay as you go. Sometimes it's a little. Mostly it's a lot. Sometimes it's all you have.

November 4, 2012 4:56 pm  #8

It was from all his observations on the Galapagos Isles.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

December 28, 2012 11:10 pm  #9

Benedict playing a biologist  +++
The movie is nice, also gotta say I was expecting more of science.
Jenny's storie is the best part (my humble opinion).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“The scar had not pained Harry for nineteen years. All was well.” HP and the Deathly Hallows

"Why's it always the hat photograph?"The Reichenbach Fall

January 20, 2013 4:30 pm  #10

the film was quite ok, the story is based mostly on Darwin´s relation to his daughter. Ben has a really small role in it, but you can see him in really cute glasses. and I think he´s really looking good in 19 th century costumes 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
..I've always assumed that love is a dangerous disadvantage. Thank you for the final proof...

February 25, 2013 6:38 pm  #11

I just saw Creation. Finished watching it about 2 hours ago and I have to say that it was brilliant. The struggle with his theories verses his faith is what made Darwin's story so human and gave the viewer a real ability to identify with it. The science is fine, but it's the human story that drew me in so completely. 

This story managed to fulfill both sides of the argument God vs No God. That is the discovery within Darwin's struggle and the acceptance his wife gave him when she had the option to destroy his work. To me it confirmed both sides of the argument.

Darwin's wifes acceptance through love as well as respect supports her belief in God and the fact that everything happens by his design. She could have burned the book, but she chose instead to support her husband and wrapped it for delivery to the publisher.

I think it is wonderful that Charles Darwin was a devout Christian before he developed this theory and the fact that the struggle with his faith or his loss of faith makes him so much more credible. He didn't write his book to spite the church or even to spite God himself. He wrote it to save himself and his faith, albeit a faith in truth and fact over organized religion. It saved his marriage and allowed him to become a father to his other children. How can that not be a part of God's plan? Maybe that is what his wife saw and why she didn't burn the book.

Either way it was an absolutely splendid work that I throughly enjoyed and will share with my children. Oh yes and to keep this on topic, even though Benedict had a small role he played it extremely well. I loved the scene with him and the children going fishing. 

"Children! Now which of the four of you would be the first to like to learn how
to hook a worm?"

Last edited by AliceI (February 25, 2013 11:58 pm)

"I may be on the side of the angels,
but don't think for one second that I am one of them."

February 25, 2013 9:44 pm  #12

Thank you for your review. Sounds interesting, another of his scientific parts. I'll give it a try someday (have to finish watching PE for the third time). 

March 2, 2014 1:48 pm  #13

I'm a bit late to this but I watched this film yesterday and have to say I was a little disappointed - there was much more about Darwin that I'd have liked to know but the film focussed on one - albeit tragic - event in his life and his reaction to that, and to do that, left out, or took poetic license with, other areas.
Another very small role for Benedict - he's certainly paid his dues as far as Movie making goes; no one could resent him if he starts getting bigger parts now - he's earned them, imo.
As always you don't see him as an actor but as the person he's playing - and it was very telling to me that in one small scene he has with Toby Jones (who is another Actor that I actually really admire), Jones does something to pull the scene back towards himself, as though he's aware that Benedict has the charisma to dominate a scene....just an observation I made.
Overall though, I found it a little disappointing.

"And in the end,
The Love you take
Is equal to the Love you make"
                                             The Beatles

April 24, 2014 8:46 am  #14

I've just seen this movie and really enjoyed it. Bettany was great as Darwin and I thought they portrayed his struggles really well.  It was a movie that made you 'think' about things.

It was a shame Ben's part was so small but I still enjoyed his brief appearances.

Last edited by SpiralStaircase (April 24, 2014 8:52 am)

April 24, 2014 8:56 am  #15

Yes, he was very good. And I like it how they show this one crucial point in his career where he has to decide between religion (represented by his wife) and science. 

Last edited by SusiGo (April 24, 2014 8:56 am)

April 24, 2014 1:37 pm  #16

SusiGo wrote:

Yes, he was very good. And I like it how they show this one crucial point in his career where he has to decide between religion (represented by his wife) and science. 

Yes, and it was lovely to see that his wife was just as devoted to him as she was to religion, by not burning his book. Though I thought it was rather cruel of her to be standing by the fire before she gave him the book. You could see the panic on poor Darwin's face.

March 27, 2015 3:55 am  #17

I watched Creation this week and enjoyed the story, although I agree that it could have shown more of Darwin's work. It was more about Darwin's personal life, the state of his marriage and his grief. Paul Bettany and Jennifer Connelly are both actors I admire, and played their troubled husband and wife relationship perfectly (I had forgotten they are married in real life. Love them in Master and Commander and Labyrinth respectively). The girl who played Annie Darwin was well cast too. The family interactions on the beach and in the fields and woods were lovely. The horrible parts were the medical treatments, and the scenes of Darwin's madness. The story of Jenny was very poignant, and the tragedy of Annie's death had me in tears.

Benedict's scenes were brief, but he was very good as usual. I just wish he didn't sport such icky, whispy facial hair in this one 

Last edited by ukaunz (March 27, 2015 3:56 am)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Board footera