BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 29, 2012 2:51 am  #1

The Other Boleyn Girl

sherlockskitty wrote (in another thread which I'm reposting here):
I've just watched The Other Boleyn Girl.  I rented it from Netflix,  but it had the deleted scenes in a special feautures section, and not inside the movie.  Did the studio ever release a new cut, with all those deleted scenes in it?  Cos I remember that ben's character William Carey died.  OHHH   he looked so handsome in that costume he wore.  I just thought it was a little too big on him.   I've seen this movie several times before Sherlock made its way to us,  and I just did NOT notice him then. 

I just finished watching this movie.  I had a hard time figuring out which character Ben played--at first, I thought he was Mary's husband but then her husband looked different so I wasn't sure.  It wasn't until I watched the deleted scenes feature (I also got the DVD from Netflix) that it all made sense.  Yes, he was her husband, but he died and she remarried!  A few of the deleted scenes really clarify what happened and two of them show Ben off well.  However, his part is pretty small overall.

The movie itself was very interesting.  Then again, I really like historical dramas.  If you have two hours to spare, plus another hour for all the bonus features, I recommend this movie.

Last edited by Sherli Bakerst (June 29, 2012 2:52 am)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.  -- Helen Keller

June 29, 2012 8:14 am  #2

Re: The Other Boleyn Girl

thanks sherli!!  I  too  loved this movie, and I wish those deleted scenes had been kept inside the movie I rented from netflix.  They would have helped the movie.   I too love period dramas such as this kind.  Ben's character william carey had very little screen time, but what I saw I was mesmerized with.  Poor william didn't want to be forced to go to Court...He knew the king wanted his wife as his mistress--did you see the crestfallen look on his face?  He got really into character then.  and then  him riding horses.....oh.   My  eyes were only upon him. 

I am going to look for an updated movie version with all the deleted scenes--  it's usually a director's cut type of thing.  If anyone else finds it before I do,  please let me know here, ok?  I'd rather not watch it online.... I'd rather have the dvd.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

June 29, 2012 9:51 am  #3

I watched the movie because I am fascinated by the Tudor era. I knew that Benny had a small role in it, but he just seemed to disappear! I thought maybe he was sent back to the country, but then Mary was able to remarry, so I rather confused. Am I right in thinking the deleted scenes show his death or at least refer to it? Clarification would be gratefully received.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FREE PUSSY RIOT

I wish the real world would just stop hassling me - Rob Thomas

Did I mention that I have a Kindle?

#destroythejoint

June 29, 2012 10:31 am  #4

I saw that movie twice when it came out and loved it. I had no idea Ben was in that movie. Wow. Wake up Janine!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Disguise is always a self portrait

June 29, 2012 12:52 pm  #5

hepzibah wrote:

Am I right in thinking the deleted scenes show his death or at least refer to it? Clarification would be gratefully received.

Yes, you are correct: one of the deleted scenes shows him ill in bed and another shows a cemetery, the implication being that he died. 

I went to IMDb after watching the movie and a lot of the reviews there said the history, as portrayed in the movie, was pretty inaccurate.  I don't know enough about the period but it was interesting to read that.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.  -- Helen Keller

June 29, 2012 1:48 pm  #6

Try and read the book by Philippa Gregory too if you haven't already done so. Very well written and very well researched. By the way Mary lived just up the road from where I live now, in a lovely moated manor house that is still there.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

July 2, 2012 9:22 am  #7

I only read the book and looking forward to watching it because of Benedict

July 2, 2012 10:33 am  #8

jimella wrote:

I only read the book and looking forward to watching it because of Benedict

Sorry to be a joy-spoiler, but Benedict has a very small role in this film. Anyway, enjoy Mr. Bana

Waiting for a crazy man in a blue box to fall from the sky...

But the thing is, we've taken away all the things that can possibly have happened, so I suppose the only thing that's left, even though it seems really weird, must be the thing that did happen, in fact. (Miss Marple)

July 2, 2012 11:07 am  #9

Yeah, but still, better than no Benedict 

July 10, 2012 5:07 pm  #10

quite true.  Yeah  I  am now reading the original book  by  PG.   Most enjoyable.   I  could not for the life of me,  stop reading this book--didn't  sleep  much last nite!! 
Saw the movie,  read the book. 
Because of Benedict, I'm on the hook!!   
ooohh  that rhymes.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

November 4, 2012 4:00 pm  #11

Davina wrote:

Try and read the book by Philippa Gregory too if you haven't already done so. Very well written and very well researched. By the way Mary lived just up the road from where I live now, in a lovely moated manor house that is still there.

That's so cool that you live down the road from where Mary used to live. Love the Tudors and their rich history. The movie was good, but I prefer the tv series. myself, though I've never read the book.

This is a cash and carry world. You pay as you go. Sometimes it's a little. Mostly it's a lot. Sometimes it's all you have.

March 9, 2015 7:13 am  #12

Another one off my Benedict Bucket List - I watched The Other Boleyn Girl today. It's an okay movie, I have seen it before but was tragically unaware of Benedict's existence at that time and hadn't paid much attention to poor William Carey. I feel sorry for the man as he is depicted in this film. He gets married to a lovely girl (arranged by the families, but he was obviously going to do well out of it), declares that he will love her and keep her happy, and has barely had a chance to consummate the marriage before Mary's conniving uncle and father pack her off to be the King's mistress. Sure he was bad in bed on their wedding night, and was a bit uncouth (using the piss-pot right next to the bed!) but he hadn't really had a chance to improve there. Still, you can't help being attracted to the man  Benedict does a fine performance for the little time he is on screen. He looks so shamefaced and, if not heartbroken, then at least very regretful. I love how Benedict's eyes glistened with unshed tears as he hears his wife admit that the king had "had her" more than once. Unfortunately that's about the last we see of him for the rest of the film (the DVD I found at the library had no extras or deleted scenes  ). I gather the real William Carey profited nicely from his association with Mary and therefore the king. But then, he didn't live long after that, having died of some sort of sweating sickness at the age of 28.

So onto the next one on my list... I'm enjoying my Benedict-binge immensely 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

March 10, 2015 7:20 am  #13

Well, The Other Boleyn Girl is one of the more mediocre Tudors film I have seen and I have seen quite a few of them! I was quite excited when it first came out (know nothing about B. then, of course) and was very disappointed.

However, on youtubehttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m43ju-KqMXQ

there is a segment with all B. bits + 2 deleted scenes.

March 10, 2015 8:39 am  #14

Thank you miriel68, I hadn't thought to look for the deleted scenes online! I expect I would have cried watching those last scenes if they had been included in the movie. Benedict always does good tearjerker performances  I really wish they hadn't deleted those scenes - for the sake of cutting a few minutes, we're left wondering what happened to poor William Carey.

I agree, not a great portrayal of the Tudors, though it was entertaining. The acting was pretty good all round. The sumptuous costumes were worth it for me, I love that sort of thing. Wish I could be an extra in a period drama   

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Board footera