BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 27, 2012 4:00 pm  #1

Taking the Pulse (Sherlock as well as Watson)

G'Day,

Thoroughly enjoying the writing and fantastic canonical referencing in this show, and finding it very witty and well done. However, there is one small issue that annoys me, the pulse taking at the wrist:

"I took your pulse. Elevated. Pupils dilated. I imagine John Watson thinks love’s a mystery to me, but the chemistry is incredibly simple and very disruptive.." A Scandal in Belgravia

.. and, of course, when Sherlock lies on the pavement.
Possible connection - ball - fall - no pulse..
The magician asks a spectator to feel his pulse and count with it. After a couple of seconds the magician's pulse stops. At the magicians command it slowly begins to start again.
The secret for this tricks is very simple. All you need is a tennis ball. That's right only a tennis ball will create one of the most baffling tricks ever.
What you need to do is simple. Place the tennis ball under your armpit. When you want your pulse to stop (in your wrist) gently squeeze it.

However, I am still not quite clear why both Sherlock and John as an army doc check for pulse rate at the wrist? I am a response medic and it really bugs me. Or did the writers have to set this standard so the final pulse taking on the pavement was consistent, and coming up negative?

Please do share your theories!

June 27, 2012 4:10 pm  #2

Re: Taking the Pulse (Sherlock as well as Watson)

Hello to you, Doctor!

What an appropriate first thread for someone with your name -- a real medical (wo)man!

My thoughts: taking the pulse at the wrist isn't as exact, but it is possible, right? I mean, Sherlock would have been hard-pressed to get his hands on Irene's throat without tipping her off about what he was doing.

As for the Fall, there is another responder next to Sherlock who is taking the pulse at the neck... it seemed to me, from that scene, that John did it from the wrist because the neck was already "occupied."

June 27, 2012 4:13 pm  #3

For Sherlock,  I think the wrist was easiest to check without being obvious. 

For John, the "ER doc" had his hand on the carotid.  And John was being held back.  He grabbed the closest available pulse location.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It was worth a wound–it was worth many wounds–to know the depth of loyalty and love which lay behind that cold mask. The clear, hard eyes were dimmed for a moment, and the firm lips were shaking. For the one and only time I caught a glimpse of a great heart as well as of a great brain. All my years of humble but single-minded service culminated in that moment of revelation.

June 27, 2012 11:30 pm  #4

I like your argument(s). However, after flailing one arms to stablise a rather rapid descent - could a ball really cut off the raised pulse so quickly?

I've been known to 'check out' MacGyver scenes but this one goes too far for any reenactment ;) as indeed did many MacGyver tricks!

June 28, 2012 10:13 am  #5

Notice how Sherlock conveniently allowed his hand to flop in front of John, knowing that his friend would pick it up to take his pulse...also knowing that one of his assistants would be there to remove him seconds later and pull him back...It was all pre-planned.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

June 28, 2012 10:19 am  #6

The Doctor wrote:

I like your argument(s). However, after flailing one arms to stablise a rather rapid descent - could a ball really cut off the raised pulse so quickly?

I've been known to 'check out' MacGyver scenes but this one goes too far for any reenactment ;) as indeed did many MacGyver tricks!

A more apt question would be, where was the ball on the way down?

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

January 24, 2013 3:38 am  #7

I guess he could've used a ball to stop his pulse, but I don't think so. Tho he would've had to use something (if indeed, the body was Sherlock's) cos falling from a height like that, there would be lots of adrenaline running through your system and your heart would be beating a million miles an hour.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
That's the thing about fanfiction, it's always a self-portrait
People want to believe what is easy, rather than what is right.
"One begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts"

June 20, 2013 1:06 am  #8

Was John taking Sherlocks pulse, or just grabbing at whatever part of his friend he could reach the way he was being restrained.

(oddly, I have a large pulsing artery visible on my forearm. I don't have to feel my pulse, just look at it).

Last edited by butterfly grl (June 20, 2013 1:28 am)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Beware of dragons for you are crunchy and go well with ketchup

Dr. Horribles sing along blog
You people all have to learn
This world is going to burn
Burn
(yeah, it’s two r’s. H, O, R, R, yeah right.)
Burn

June 20, 2013 1:24 am  #9

butterfly grl wrote:

Was John taking Sherlocks pulse, or just grabbing at whatever part of his friend he could reach the way he was being restrained.

Exactly.  The other "doctor" had his fingers on Sherlock's carotid artery, preventing John (who would have checked there first) from being able to do so.  The people gave him a couple of seconds to "check" the radial pulse, the pulled him away.  After that, the shock of what happened pretty much takes John over (it would most people).

__________________________________________________________________Bigby: Will you shut up?
Colin: Well, maybe if my throat wasn’t so parched, I wouldn’t have to keep talking.
Bigby: Wait, that doesn’t make se-
Coline: Just give me a drink, please.

June 20, 2013 10:58 am  #10

I just wonder: If you are upset yourself (John), is it even possible for you to check someone else's (Sherlock's) pulse properly? Hm.....

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

June 20, 2013 4:50 pm  #11

Mattlocked wrote:

I just wonder: If you are upset yourself (John), is it even possible for you to check someone else's (Sherlock's) pulse properly? Hm.....

I doubt it, You have to feel gently for a pulse.  He was hanging on for dear life. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Beware of dragons for you are crunchy and go well with ketchup

Dr. Horribles sing along blog
You people all have to learn
This world is going to burn
Burn
(yeah, it’s two r’s. H, O, R, R, yeah right.)
Burn

June 24, 2013 6:52 am  #12

I don't particularly like the ball-stopping-the-pulse theory. For one, where would the ball be when Sherlock is falling? Becuase if you have the ball-stopping-the-pulse theory, then the body falling is definitely Sherlock's. The ball most likely would not stay in place while he was falling, and we don't see him put it into place when he is lying on the ground. Also, that theory (to me) just doesn't seem very Sherlock? I don't know, it could be right, but I don't know...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
That's the thing about fanfiction, it's always a self-portrait
People want to believe what is easy, rather than what is right.
"One begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts"

June 24, 2013 11:01 am  #13

The ball could be anywhere - in his pocket, in the hands of his helpers on the ground.

June 24, 2013 12:11 pm  #14

If he used a look-alike body on the ground, Sherlock would have a few seconds to get ready and switch out before John could get over to him.  Put the ball under the arm that is easiest for John to grab, and have someone else with his fingers already on Sherlock's carotid artery so that John can't check it.  Easy

But you can see as Sherlock leaves the lab, he pockets the ball in his suit jacket (super slo-mo on a Blu-ray will show it).

Last edited by sj4iy (June 24, 2013 12:14 pm)

__________________________________________________________________Bigby: Will you shut up?
Colin: Well, maybe if my throat wasn’t so parched, I wouldn’t have to keep talking.

June 24, 2013 2:52 pm  #15

For me, feeling a pulse is not easy on the wrist. You have to have your fingers in just the right place to feel anything, and I don't think John did. Plus, he was in shock. He could only think about what he'd just seen and probably couldn't focus.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dean - "I'm not happy about it. But I got to move on. So I'm gonna keep doing what we do...while I still can. And I'd like you to be there with me."

Sam - "I'm your brother, Dean, if you ever need to talk about anything with anybody, you got someone right here next to you."

June 25, 2013 1:53 am  #16

To me, John felt the body in order to tell the audience that it couldn't be a dummy that fell. John would have been able to tell the difference between flesh and prosthetic.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Is the foil of a detective a thief or a magician?

My Theory on the Fall: http://sherlock.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?pid=21539#p21539

June 25, 2013 2:46 am  #17

kittykat wrote:

For me, feeling a pulse is not easy on the wrist. You have to have your fingers in just the right place to feel anything, and I don't think John did. Plus, he was in shock. He could only think about what he'd just seen and probably couldn't focus.

John has it on roughly the right spot, but people are yanking his hand back.  It's mostly psychological anyway, though.  He thinks his friend is dead, which is what Sherlock was going for.

Board footera