BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 27, 2012 12:29 pm  #1

On Top of the World (Down Under)

G'Day,

Seeing how much I enjoy following this forum I thought it is time to become part of the crew.

I have been instantly hooked by BBC dramatisation due to its conical nods to the original works by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, and revel in its acting, the lights, colours and sounds.

Sherlock clearly lives in my life!

June 27, 2012 12:33 pm  #2

Re: On Top of the World (Down Under)

Oh a cockroach!
Welcome! Enjoy your time here.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

June 27, 2012 12:41 pm  #3

Sorry, don't get the cockroach joke but welcome to the forum! I hope you'll have a great time with us  .

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

June 27, 2012 12:44 pm  #4

It's an Aussie thing; people from the state of New South Wales are called Cockroaches; we here in Queensland are Cane Toads.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

June 27, 2012 1:15 pm  #5

Oh, thanks for enlightening me, Kazza. Maybe one day I will need just this information in one of my translations  . Don't really know which animal I'd prefer…

Last edited by SusiGo (June 27, 2012 1:40 pm)

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

June 27, 2012 1:28 pm  #6

Gosh! What a choice! Let me see...which would I prefer? Cockroach? Cane toad? Cockroach? Cane toad?

Ooo I JUST cannot choose!

Anyway..welcome to the forum The Doctor

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

June 27, 2012 1:42 pm  #7

Welcome Doctor. I love Tommy Emmanuel and Mad Max.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My blog: 3sidestoeverystory.tumblr.com

June 27, 2012 3:49 pm  #8

Em, Kazza, I NEVER heard this joke either?

Anyway, I am with the emergency services thus my name.

And I am looking forward to a meeting of fellow Holmesians or Sherlockians in Australia - anyone heard of upcoming events?

June 27, 2012 5:19 pm  #9

I'd rather be a cane toad, because then I'd be the subject of an absolutely hilarious documentary.

Welcome to the boards, Doctor.

June 27, 2012 5:20 pm  #10

I love the avatar by the way Doc! Hmm. Emergency services...could be dangerous...or useful! I have good friends who are paramedics and another is a doctor and a niece is a doctor too.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

June 28, 2012 10:08 am  #11

Welcome to the forum Doctor...

Are you also a Doctor Who fan or does your name come purely from Dr Watson?

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

June 28, 2012 10:16 am  #12

The Doctor wrote:

Em, Kazza, I NEVER heard this joke either?

Anyway, I am with the emergency services thus my name.

And I am looking forward to a meeting of fellow Holmesians or Sherlockians in Australia - anyone heard of upcoming events?

The terms aren't just used for League, but geez you must be hiding away to never have heard it.

Similarly, South Aussies are Crow Eaters
West Aussies are Sand Gropers.
Queenslanders are also Banana Benders
Tasmanians - Tree Huggers or Apple eaters

oh dear.

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

June 28, 2012 11:01 am  #13

Am thinking of visiting the Sherlock Holmes enthusiasts society in Sydney (www.sherlock.on.net/).

Does anyone know of further Holmes / Sherlock associations down under? E.g., http://www.sherlock.on.net/societies.shtml

Last edited by The Doctor (June 28, 2012 11:04 am)

June 29, 2012 5:57 pm  #14

kazza474 wrote:

oh dear.

I never realized Aussies were so affectionate...

"Perfectly sound analysis. I was hoping you would go a little deeper."

June 29, 2012 5:59 pm  #15

Welcome to the forum, Dr. Doctor! (My children love Richard Scarry, and so I've gotten used to Dr. Doctor and Mrs. Dr. Doctor...)

"Perfectly sound analysis. I was hoping you would go a little deeper."

June 29, 2012 8:13 pm  #16

Tantalus wrote:

kazza474 wrote:

oh dear.

I never realized Aussies were so affectionate...

oh indeed! I'm a classic example of Aussie love & tenderness.

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

June 29, 2012 8:16 pm  #17

I was wondering, is it true that Aussies squash Cane Toads with bricks?!
Just curious...

I was wondering if you'd like to have coffee...
Hmm. I really don't know. Oh, I'm sorry, did I say 'know'? I meant 'care'. I don't really care. 
Douglas Richardson, Cremona

June 29, 2012 8:21 pm  #18

welcome to the forum, doctor!!  I at first thot you were a doctor who fan  but  I read your replies here.   I  love your avatar.  it has a shape of our boy  in BBC Sherlock--Is it the 'I believe in Sherlock'  picture?  Who'e the other shape?  just curious.   after all, curiosity killed the cat--but satisfaction brought it back!!  don't worry,  I've got more lives than 9!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

June 29, 2012 8:27 pm  #19

Molly Hooper wrote:

I was wondering, is it true that Aussies squash Cane Toads with bricks?!
Just curious...

bricks? how bizarre; no most are either run over with a car or our National alternative sport is cane toad golf.
Many a Queensland backyard has the obligatory gof club handy.
We do have an event called "Toad Busting" although it's never been big, where people catch & freeze the toads (more humane way of killing) They are rampant in my state (Qld) as they were an introduced species & they are quite toxic to our wildlife.

I myself prefer the salt method for getting rid of them.

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

June 29, 2012 8:53 pm  #20

Mmm, Toad ice-lollies, nice!

Salt, I guess they react a bit like slugs... 

I was wondering if you'd like to have coffee...
Hmm. I really don't know. Oh, I'm sorry, did I say 'know'? I meant 'care'. I don't really care. 
Douglas Richardson, Cremona

Board footera