BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 19, 2012 9:49 am  #1

I feel like an alien - please suggest TV shows

I don't like Sci Fi shows!

Can anyone tell me what Downton Abbey is like?
I need another 'series' of some sort to watch and I am quite addicted to all things British. But good drama tht educates the mind.

I'm also addicted to 'puzzles' I guess you could say. I have watched every HOUSE episode, just finished getting up to date on every NCIS episode, but I don't want just 'cops & robbers'.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

February 19, 2012 11:02 am  #2

Re: I feel like an alien - please suggest TV shows

Can you get BBC iPlayer over there?

Whitechapel is a good British crime drama, you might like it. It's on at the moment in it's second series.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

February 19, 2012 12:24 pm  #3

No sadly I have to rely on sites like Sidereel and Watchseries.
But I see they have Whitechapel listed so I will see what that is like... tomorrow. It's 10:30pm Sunday here and I have to get up early for work, lol.
Thanks for the suggestion.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

April 18, 2012 10:09 am  #4

Sherlock Holmes wrote:

Can you get BBC iPlayer over there?

Whitechapel is a good British crime drama, you might like it. It's on at the moment in it's second series.

I've just finished watching all the Whitechapel shows. (Up to series 3, ep6)
I quite liked it; again I saw some parallels with Ben's Sherlock character. Perhaps just a coincidence although I am not one to be fanatical & seeing 'the latest craze' in everything I do/see.

I must say, I absolutely hated Phil Davis' character (Ray Miles) at the start & it took a long time to warm to him.

One question, DC Emerson Kent (Sam Stockman). Is he gay & has a crush on DI Chandler?

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

April 18, 2012 10:31 am  #5

I'm not sure, I think it's just one of those things where it's implied or left open for suggestion but never really taken further. I always like to try and spot parallels with Sherlock. The character of Chandler is rather socially inept & awkward in a similar way to Sherlock...and his obvious OCD makes me laugh.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

April 18, 2012 10:41 am  #6

Yeah I had to 'warm' to him a bit at the start. Didn't take long & I now quite like him. 

I've got a good idea that we WILL see DC Kent showing his hand soon; he's very jealous & suspicious of any female interaction with Chandler. And he was shattered when he was stood down. And from word go, Miles said that Kent liked to 'go off and have a cry' (not that that is a gay trait, but he is overly sensitive).

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

June 1, 2012 4:14 am  #7

Anyone seen the series Luther? I just read about it in a review of Sherlock, wondered what it was like?

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

June 1, 2012 4:27 am  #8

I haven't Kazza but I can recommend 'The Walking Dead'.

It's a zombie scenario but done in a very good 'human tone' story.

It's not quite 'Neighbours' but then again nothing ever will be.

RIP Daphne.

-m0r

And each separate dying ember wrought its ghost upon the floor.

June 1, 2012 4:33 am  #9

arggghh

I may be an Aussie; but Neighbours? ewwwww
I think I watched it till just after Daphne died; then got a life lol.

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

June 1, 2012 4:42 am  #10

I was incarcerated for a year and a half - Ramsay street became a second home to me.

Mike and a few others have done very well over the years though - goes to show how good Aussie schools are at training actors!

I very much like Summer Heights High's Mr. G if that makes up for any potential embarrassment or awkwardness in Aussie programming.

-m0r

And each separate dying ember wrought its ghost upon the floor.

June 1, 2012 7:08 am  #11

I haven't seen Luther, but I've heard nothing but good things about it. It's one of the next in my list 

Shows I've enjoyed a lot... let's see... Spooks (spies, great spies, I don't really like James Bond but I loved this), Six Feet Under, Life on Mars, the first four seasons of Desperate Housewives (after season five it became just a soap opera, sadly), The Tudors, Mad men, The Good Wife and The Borgias.

And I love Doctor Who, but I've read somewhere else you're not really interested in that kind of shows

Waiting for a crazy man in a blue box to fall from the sky...

But the thing is, we've taken away all the things that can possibly have happened, so I suppose the only thing that's left, even though it seems really weird, must be the thing that did happen, in fact. (Miss Marple)

June 1, 2012 7:21 am  #12

Summer Heights High's Mr. G - omg, never heard of it!
I'm not a 'regular TV viewer' over/down here at all.

Well Irene, Luther will be on my watch list this weekend.
I love the Tudors, just finished watching all eps of The Good Wife and I have watched most of the first ep of The Borgias but I can't quite get to like it yet. I will give it more time though.

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

June 2, 2012 6:32 am  #13

"Revenge" - 2 seasons so far?  22 episodes  (but I fast forwarded with a summary episode) - a well written long drawn
out revenge story,   a rich young woman now grown up,  new identity,  bringing down her late dad's powerful former enemies with
single-minded purpose-   he was wrongly incarcerated,  and lives have been wrecked. ..   a bit reminiscent of Count of Monte Cristo..   and quite a guilty pleasure!   http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1837642/episodes

June 2, 2012 10:31 am  #14

Rome was excellent, two series, but definitely not for the faint hearted. You might enjoy Rumpole of the Bailey, if you can get it. Morse is always an intellectually challenging programme.

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

June 2, 2012 11:12 am  #15

jenosborn wrote:

"Revenge" - 2 seasons so far?  22 episodes  (but I fast forwarded with a summary episode) - a well written long drawn
out revenge story,   a rich young woman now grown up,  new identity,  bringing down her late dad's powerful former enemies with
single-minded purpose-   he was wrongly incarcerated,  and lives have been wrecked. ..   a bit reminiscent of Count of Monte Cristo..   and quite a guilty pleasure!   http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1837642/episodes

Yeah, I am already up to date with this one.

Thanks. At least you are on the right track.

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

June 2, 2012 11:14 am  #16

Irene_Adler wrote:

I haven't seen Luther, but I've heard nothing but good things about it. It's one of the next in my list 

Shows I've enjoyed a lot... let's see... Spooks (spies, great spies, I don't really like James Bond but I loved this), Six Feet Under, Life on Mars, the first four seasons of Desperate Housewives (after season five it became just a soap opera, sadly), The Tudors, Mad men, The Good Wife and The Borgias.

And I love Doctor Who, but I've read somewhere else you're not really interested in that kind of shows

Just watched the first ep of Luther.
Definitely 'dark' but that doesn't bother me; picked up a few ideas though & had a hunch on others so well worth the viewing.

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

June 4, 2012 4:55 am  #17

Oh wow, I've watched eps 1, 2 & 3 of Luther now.
Definitely a psychological thriller type cop show. The psychological profiling he does of the criminals is a treat. Some thing sI picked up on, some thing he surprised me with. I'll be watching all these episodes rather quickly, I love this one.
The 'villain' in these first few is a very dark version of Irene Adler.
Hmm

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

June 5, 2012 5:39 am  #18

downtown Abbey  is   a soap opera  of sorts,  with the upstairs/downstairs  hierachy thrown in there for good measure.   It's about some noble family.   Dame Maggie Smith (minerva in harry Potter)  is in it.   that's all I know.   I  might rent it from netflix soon.   

Hoiw  about the brit coms?   Keeping up appearances is the funniest  and one of my favorites.  I  also loved AS time goes by,  with Judy Dench  and Geoffrey Palmer.   

Goodness me,  I  LOVE  doctor who!!   and Merlin.  And the Tudors.   they'll  hold me over till the 3rd series of Sherlock.

Gotta tell you something.   Whitechapel has some connections with Sherlock Holmes,  but I shan't tell you how.

Last edited by sherlockskitty (June 5, 2012 5:41 am)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

June 5, 2012 6:18 am  #19

I'm completely up to date with Downton. As soon as it comes out, I've seen it. Can't wait for Series 3.
Whitechapel - I've seen them all too a while back now & yes I know about the connections.
Tudors I saw ages ago.
Dr Who & Merlin - I don't watch Sci -Fi & fantasy.

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

June 27, 2012 8:35 am  #20

If you like puzzles, you might like the American show Monk. It's a detective show, not as good as Sherlock of course, but still pretty good.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sherlock: "It's this or Cluedo."
John: "Ah, no. We are never playing that again."
Sherlock: "Why not?"
John: "Because it's not actually possible for the victim to have done it, Sherlock!"

Board footera