BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 3, 2012 9:39 pm  #141

Re: National Stereotypes

Thanks for the link, haven't seen it before.
Well, this is quite interesting:

In this series, we see Holmes’s bedroom for the first time – I note it has an en suite bathroom, and is very tidy. (“Holmes is the kind of flatmate who would keep his room tidy by throwing all his mess out into the front room,† Moffat notes.)

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

August 3, 2012 9:52 pm  #142

Mattlocked wrote:

In this series, we see Holmes’s bedroom for the first time – I note it has an en suite bathroom, and is very tidy. (“Holmes is the kind of flatmate who would keep his room tidy by throwing all his mess out into the front room,�  Moffat notes.)

bwahahahahaha! OMG, too funny. And true. Poor John, echoing Mrs. Hudson,  "I'm not your housekeeper, Sherlock!"  What a great idea for a fan fic.

August 3, 2012 9:59 pm  #143

hepzibah wrote:

I read somewhere on the interweb, maybe on Tumblr (don't judge me) the blog of a girl who went to the BAFTAs this year and stood outside all night.She met Ben when he came outside several times for smoke breaks. There was also an article, possibly by Caitlin Moran, where she interviewed him on location and he was smoking and drinking coffee. Oh well, he has to have a flaw, doesn't he, to make him human. We couldn't cope if he was totally perfect. ....

He'd bust a gut laughing, if he got wind of the idea that anyone thought he was perfect. *smile*

Poor babe, he's addicted to the cancer sticks. He's still young enough that he thinks he's going to live forever, alas.

I hate to think of that gorgeous coat of his reeking of cigarette stink. Yucko. I will hang onto my fantasy that Ben never has a ciggie before suiting up for a scene-- no pollution on that coat!

August 8, 2012 7:58 am  #144

*goes back a few pages*

uh, that smoking.. it annoyed me for a while and I just came across the interview where Benedict says he doesn't smoke -

[video]www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=bvcG5Z7VgYA[/video]

12:30 minutes in 'I do not smoke'

That mus be where I got it from.. then again, Martin's reaction kinda gives him away, doesn't it?

Last edited by The Doctor (October 11, 2012 4:32 am)

August 8, 2012 9:06 am  #145

Good lord, haven't looked in this thread for ages & seems it's no longer about stereotypes! lol

For my 2 cents worth, Benedict does smoke. There have been heaps of pics in social media with him enjoying a smoke break on film sets & at functions.
When being interviewed (and indeed on the DVD Commentary) he will of course do the 'proper' thing & either ignore the habit or openly discourage it, as is how one should act in such a circumstance.
I must say the scene in the morgue looks extremely over acted in the smoking department. But it's pretty much a trifiling matter really.

Ok outta here again.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

August 8, 2012 9:14 am  #146

I'm so sorry, it's all my fault.
I even tried to lead it back to another subject, but...... 

Sometimes a thread goes strange ways.... like the eating-popcorn-sounds one.

August 8, 2012 5:41 pm  #147

Mattlocked wrote:

I'm so sorry, it's all my fault.
I even tried to lead it back to another subject, but...... 

Sometimes a thread goes strange ways.... like the eating-popcorn-sounds one.

Which one was that again??

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I was wondering if you'd like to have coffee...
Hmm. I really don't know. Oh, I'm sorry, did I say 'know'? I meant 'care'. I don't really care. 
Douglas Richardson, Cremona

August 8, 2012 6:53 pm  #148

Nom nom, I don't know.

August 9, 2012 12:33 am  #149

So Ben's been smoking on the sly? Well, that's it, I'm going to have to break it off with him, no matter how badly it hurts him.

Actually, in my world, Ben doesn't smoke and Sherlock is kicking the habit bit by bit. Or at least trying.

So back to the stereotypes...

August 9, 2012 6:17 am  #150

Stereotypes...

We went to the Olympics yesterday and as we had arrived, walked through security checks and along to the arena the following conversation took place...

My daughter: I don't like it!
Me: What? What don't you like?
My daughter: Everyone's being too nice and friendly. It's giving a completely false impression of what people in London are really like.

At this point we started laughing and saying about how normally people are just so grumpy and rude.

We met up with some friends a bit later during the interval and related the conversation above and they burst out laughing and agreed entirely that everyone was just so...well...nice...that it was a bit like slipping into an alternate Universe.

Last edited by Davina (August 9, 2012 6:20 am)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

August 9, 2012 11:10 am  #151

"Everyone's being too nice and friendly. It's giving a completely false impression of what people ... are really like."

I remember Australians stating exactly the same during the Sydney Olympics in 2000 (best Olympic Games ever, of course).

lol

August 9, 2012 5:12 pm  #152

We're so physically isolated from most of the rest of the world here in the States, most of us don't get that much opportunity to interact with foreigners/tourists, so I have no idea how we're perceived down at street level. Exception to that would be in downtown NYC or LA or San Francisco or DC or Chicago, I suppose. People who live or work there have a more per capita possibility of running into someone from another country.

Where I live, we have loads of Canadian tourists every summer, lots of license plates from Quebec, Ontario, New Brunswick and Nova Scotia. I hope they find us friendly enough. I haven't heard otherwise. It helps to speak the language, of course.

I've visited NYC (Manhattan) a few times and have been treated very well by people on the streets there. Granted, I'm an American, just like then, but lost is lost, and when someone's lost in NYC, they're l-o-s-t. Asking for directions or help, I've never gotten an iota of attitude from the natives. Which I think is very nice.

August 9, 2012 7:05 pm  #153

After several years living on the East Coast, we moved to the Midwest, and at first we were completely taken aback by how nice people were. One thing in particular we noticed was that if the traffic light turned green and you didn't immediately take off, no one honked at you to get going. Also, clerks in stores tend to be helpful and friendly. In contrast, here's a New York moment I experienced in the City (Manhattan)  recently:

Me (buying a tiny trinket and watching clerk put it in a giant shopping bag): Would you happen to have a smaller bag?
Clerk (with loads of attitude): Lady, if we had a smaller bag, I'd have put it in a smaller bag.

We laughed all the way back to the hotel.

But, not everyone is not nice in NYC. As for London,  I'm not an expert, but I've not found people in London to be not nice for the most part, either. Although one policeman (bobbie?) did seem offended when I asked where to locate a certain pub. I thought if anyone would know, he would.

Last edited by veecee (August 9, 2012 7:20 pm)

August 9, 2012 7:12 pm  #154

The Doctor wrote:

"Everyone's being too nice and friendly. It's giving a completely false impression of what people ... are really like."

I remember Australians stating exactly the same during the Sydney Olympics in 2000 (best Olympic Games ever, of course).

lol

Ha ha. Yes well we 'up here' had rather the opposite feelings when Expo 88 was on. We do have a far more relaxed lifestyle here than down South. So  I think we tried hard to be more 'prim & proper' at the start; by the end we dropped all facades & everyone partied with everyone else, lol.
But it did last for 6 months so there's no keeping up appearances for that long.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

August 9, 2012 7:38 pm  #155

veecee wrote:

After several years living on the East Coast, we moved to the Midwest, and at first we were completely taken aback by how nice people were. One thing in particular we noticed was that if the traffic light turned green and you didn't immediately take off, no one honked at you to get going......

I have a friend who lives in Texas (Dallas), and she says everywhere she goes, strangers want to have conversations with her. Complete strangers want to "have church" with her in the grocery store. Everyone smiles at everyone else, says hello to people they pass in the grocery store aisles, etc. I confess, as a New Englander, I wouldn't know how to act if everyone wanted to make eye contact and speak to me in stores.  I'd wonder if there was something in the water. lololololol

August 9, 2012 7:39 pm  #156

veecee wrote:

.....As for London,  I'm not an expert, but I've not found people in London to be not nice for the most part, either. Although one policeman (bobbie?) did seem offended when I asked where to locate a certain pub. I thought if anyone would know, he would. 

He may not have been offended. He might simply have been taking a few extra moments to try to figure out what foreign language you were speaking.  ha

August 9, 2012 7:42 pm  #157

Roit! 

(my attempt to represent a certain British accent)

August 9, 2012 7:46 pm  #158

ancientsgate wrote:

veecee wrote:

After several years living on the East Coast, we moved to the Midwest, and at first we were completely taken aback by how nice people were. One thing in particular we noticed was that if the traffic light turned green and you didn't immediately take off, no one honked at you to get going......

I have a friend who lives in Texas (Dallas), and she says everywhere she goes, strangers want to have conversations with her. Complete strangers want to "have church" with her in the grocery store. Everyone smiles at everyone else, says hello to people they pass in the grocery store aisles, etc. I confess, as a New Englander, I wouldn't know how to act if everyone wanted to make eye contact and speak to me in stores.  I'd wonder if there was something in the water. lololololol

Oh, yes, I know a funny joke about how Southerners communicate, but it's (the joke) not family-friendly.

August 9, 2012 7:55 pm  #159

veecee wrote:

Oh, yes, I know a funny joke about how Southerners communicate, but it's (the joke) not family-friendly.

But I bet it would fit right into this thread about stereotypes, right?

August 9, 2012 8:04 pm  #160

ancientsgate wrote:

veecee wrote:

But I bet it would fit right into this thread about stereotypes, right?

Well, yes...

Board footera