BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 3, 2012 9:40 pm  #61

Re: National Stereotypes

Irene Adler wrote:

My friend in Finland says that Finnish boys are really shy...

Well that depends on who you compare. But yeah, I'd say that's true. I know I'm shy as hell. I feel really uncomfortable around girls I don't know.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My blog: 3sidestoeverystory.tumblr.com

July 3, 2012 10:24 pm  #62

Dramagod wrote:

Irene Adler wrote:

My friend in Finland says that Finnish boys are really shy...

Well that depends on who you compare. But yeah, I'd say that's true. I know I'm shy as hell. I feel really uncomfortable around girls I don't know.

If you compare with most of the Spanish guys, I think almost everyone could be considered shy

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Waiting for a crazy man in a blue box to fall from the sky...

But the thing is, we've taken away all the things that can possibly have happened, so I suppose the only thing that's left, even though it seems really weird, must be the thing that did happen, in fact. (Miss Marple)

July 4, 2012 1:29 am  #63

KeepersPrice is about to attempt a very sneaky caper.  I just made sure that both John and Sherlock are not at home at 221B tonight.  (I think they might have gone for Chinese - but John said it's not a date). Luckily Mrs. Hudson is busy in her kitchen baking a meat pie with Yorkshire pudding and won't be able to hear me.  So now I'm sneaking up the stairs very quietly (have to be careful of the 5th one because it creaks). Sshh.  Now I'm at the door with my trusty Swiss Army knife with the built in all-purpose lock picker.  This is delicate work but luckily it opens on the first try.  (Gee, you'd think a brilliant detective and his partner, err friend, err colleague, would have better security!)  Luckily they've left a small light on in the kitchen so I can see what I'm doing.  I make my way over carefully to the comfy arm chair on the left near the fireplace. There it is! - a small pillow with the Union Jack emblem.  Tsk, tsk  Quickly I remove this offending object and pull from under my jumper it's rightful and proper replacement - a pillow bearing the stars and stripes

HAPPY INDEPENDENCE DAY AMERICA!!!!!!   

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And I said "dangerous" and here you are.

You. It's always you. John Watson, you keep me right.

July 4, 2012 3:48 am  #64

So - you've been restroring balance to the universe, KP?
Fair enough - it's the 4th of July...
But make sure to replace the pillow again next night!

John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

July 4, 2012 3:53 am  #65

Has anyone else noticed that for some arbitrary reason, the "4th of July" is the only American holiday that is consistently styled in the British fashion? I noticed this yesterday. Strange.

Good job, KP. Can I have the old pillow? Perhaps, in honor of the War of 1812 we ought to set fire to it. They razed the White House. It's only fair.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Initials SH and proud owner of a viola named Watson.

Potential flatmates should know the worst about each other.

It's a three patch problem.

I didn't know; I saw.

July 4, 2012 11:22 am  #66

Nice work, KP! Hope you remembered to wipe your shoeprints off the stairs, or Sherlock will track you down.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sherlock: "It's this or Cluedo."
John: "Ah, no. We are never playing that again."
Sherlock: "Why not?"
John: "Because it's not actually possible for the victim to have done it, Sherlock!"

July 4, 2012 2:02 pm  #67

Another stereotype, probably influenced by the movies...
Over here we think the 4th of July every American goes to the nearest mount (or gets into their yacht) to watch the fireworks with the whole family

That said... Happy 4th of July, fellow Americans!!

But the thing is, we've taken away all the things that can possibly have happened, so I suppose the only thing that's left, even though it seems really weird, must be the thing that did happen, in fact. (Miss Marple)

July 4, 2012 2:10 pm  #68

Irene Adler wrote:

(or gets into their yacht) to watch the fireworks with the whole family

It's not true? But that's what Rachel Greene said they always did. It seems you can't trust any fictional sitcom characters these days. Happy 4th to you americanos.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

July 4, 2012 2:22 pm  #69

So everyone - I now have procession of the sacred Union Jack pillow, heh, heh, heh.  Now what shall I do with it?  Well, I could do as Irene Adler says and use it to sit on in my yacht tonight while I watch the fireworks.   That would be fitting.  Or I could hold it for ransom.  However, I think it would be more fun to hide it and let people find it. 3 puzzles to get to the final destination.

First one:  "One if by land, two if by sea".  Who supposedly said this and where did it take place?

July 4, 2012 3:35 pm  #70

@KP That's hardly fair to them.

@Irene Funnily enough, I don't actually own a yacht.  We do the whole fireworks thing, although recently I've become sort of bored with the whole procedure. I spent the 4th a few years ago in a small southern town far from where I live, and my uncle bought a bunch of illegal fireworks and set them off. That was exciting, but just watching them? Meh.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I didn't know; I saw.

July 4, 2012 3:48 pm  #71

Really Smoggy?  Well, maybe you're right.  I'm in the Boston area so this stuff is easy to me.  But this isn't just for the Brits on the forum.  Plenty of Americans out there too -some of them must know this reference. And Google has made research a lot easier....

Well, no matter what, the pillow will be returned to it's rightful home later tonight I promise.  I know John would be devastated without it

July 4, 2012 3:56 pm  #72

Well, I know the quote is by Paul Revere... not too sure about where he said it though.
Edit: Was it the Old North Church?

Last edited by The Skull (July 4, 2012 3:59 pm)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sherlock: "It's this or Cluedo."
John: "Ah, no. We are never playing that again."
Sherlock: "Why not?"
John: "Because it's not actually possible for the victim to have done it, Sherlock!"

July 4, 2012 4:05 pm  #73

I know it was in Boston. Definitely in a church. Although I'm not sure on the specifics.

July 4, 2012 5:31 pm  #74

We did spend one Fourth on the water in a yawl near Seattle. It was unusually cool, drizzly, and the person in charge of the food forgot to bring it. So, we were cold, wet, and hungry...but the fireworks were nice.

Near us there are several evenings of outdoor symphony concerts followed by fireworks. We take a picnic meal, and it's fun. One of the favorite numbers is the 1812 Overture, complete with real cannon blasts -- without ammunition, of course. (Not going this year -- it's 100 degrees Fahrenheit. That's 37.8 Celsius.)

KP, does the winner of the puzzle get the pillow?

July 4, 2012 7:56 pm  #75

KeepersPrice wrote:

Really Smoggy?  Well, maybe you're right.  I'm in the Boston area so this stuff is easy to me.  But this isn't just for the Brits on the forum.  Plenty of Americans out there too -some of them must know this reference. And Google has made research a lot easier....

Well, no matter what, the pillow will be returned to it's rightful home later tonight I promise.  I know John would be devastated without it

I'm pretty sure the disappearance of the pillow would be enough to get Sherlock back to 221b straightaway. Forget John being depressed. His pillow's been stolen? Time to return from the dead.

I didn't know; I saw.

July 4, 2012 8:10 pm  #76

Irene Adler wrote:

Over here we think the 4th of July every American goes to the nearest mount (or gets into their yacht) to watch the fireworks with the whole family

I can promise you Irene, that if I had a yacht I would buy airfare for all of you to fly over and have a big party on it! Hell I might do that anyway I love you all so.

Disguise is always a self portrait

July 4, 2012 8:23 pm  #77

Sentimental Pulse wrote:

Irene Adler wrote:

I can promise you Irene, that if I had a yacht I would buy airfare for all of you to fly over and have a big party on it! Hell I might do that anyway I love you all so.

Oh... that would be a great party!!

July 4, 2012 8:58 pm  #78

The Skull - you're got it!   Paul Revere at the Old North Church. 

Next: "The shot heard round the world"  Where did this happen?

July 4, 2012 9:01 pm  #79

That has either to do something with a football goal or JFK's assassination.

July 4, 2012 9:05 pm  #80

Good guesses - but no.  It has to do with where the first shot of the Revolutionary War was fired.

Board footera