BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 1, 2012 10:50 pm  #41

Re: National Stereotypes

Irene Adler wrote:

And Dramagod, believe me, the Mexican and the Spanish culture have nothing to do with one another

I'm sure it's so. But I think the more different some culture is to your own the more two might feel similar. For instance to me Mexican and Spanish cultures seem more similar than North American and Russian.

Also Chinese and Japanese cultures seem similar to me as well, even though I know many differences between them. For one, samurais and ninjas.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My blog: 3sidestoeverystory.tumblr.com

July 1, 2012 10:51 pm  #42

Dramagod wrote:

Irene Adler wrote:

And Dramagod, believe me, the Mexican and the Spanish culture have nothing to do with one another

I'm sure it's so. But I think the more different some culture is to your own the more two might feel similar. For instance to me Mexican and Spanish cultures seem more similar than North American and Russian.

Also Chinese and Japanese cultures seem similar to me as well, even though I know many differences between them. For one, samurais and ninjas.

Yes, I understand what you say. For me it's the same with Chinese and Japanese 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Waiting for a crazy man in a blue box to fall from the sky...

But the thing is, we've taken away all the things that can possibly have happened, so I suppose the only thing that's left, even though it seems really weird, must be the thing that did happen, in fact. (Miss Marple)

July 2, 2012 3:21 am  #43

Hey Drama
regarding national sterotypes, all I know about Finnish people is that they watch a lot of movies and keep lists of them 

Also, doesn't Santa Claus come from up your way? So you must all have herds of reindeer, just like all Aussies have pet kangaroos 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FREE PUSSY RIOT

I wish the real world would just stop hassling me - Rob Thomas

Did I mention that I have a Kindle?

#destroythejoint

July 2, 2012 6:36 am  #44

Dramagod, I seem to remember that Finnish people drink a lot of alcohol and that it is always dark in your country  .

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

July 2, 2012 8:49 am  #45

It's true that Finnish drink quite a bit of alchohol. But it's not always dark in our country. It's Finland, not Mordor. Wintertime it does start getting dark at 5PM but in summer the sun doesn't set until around midnight and it starts to get lighter at 4AM so there's only a few hours of darkness. I took a photo for you guys the last time I went jogging. This is what it looks like here around 1AM when it's cloudy and it's rained all day. As you can see, it's not totally dark.

Santa is indeed originally from Finland. Then americans and others tried to take the credit of his origins so they U-hauled his ass to North Pole. But that's a lie. Lapland is full of reindeer and elks, yes.

When it comes to the listmaking, I'd say I'm in the minority, hah.

Last edited by Dramagod (July 2, 2012 8:55 am)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

July 2, 2012 11:01 am  #46

'It's Finland, not Mordor.' Classic stuff DramaGod. That really made me laugh! I liked Finland when I visited although it was cold enough to freeze a brass monkey. Serious cold, frost-bite cold especially with the wind chill. I found the Lappish music and culture very interesting.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

July 2, 2012 11:08 am  #47

I have a friend who lives in Finland that told me once (around February I think it was) they had -24º and five hours of sunlight.
I think I would die there

But the thing is, we've taken away all the things that can possibly have happened, so I suppose the only thing that's left, even though it seems really weird, must be the thing that did happen, in fact. (Miss Marple)

July 2, 2012 11:24 am  #48

Davina wrote:

it was cold enough to freeze a brass monkey. Serious cold, frost-bite cold especially with the wind chil

So tell me, what was Finland like 10 000 years ago?

Irene Adler wrote:

I have a friend who lives in Finland that told me once (around February I think it was) they had -24º and five hours of sunlight.

Yeah it was a pretty long and cold winter here this year. We had many winters like that when I was a kid but nowadays it's so random. There might be a winter that we have snow for a couple of weeks in total and the average temperature is around zero. I think it's because Mother Nature is having her menopause. The weather is weird all over the globe and that sucks. But now to the important issue here. This friend of yours... is she a she? She hot?

July 2, 2012 11:44 am  #49

Dramagod wrote:

Davina wrote:

it was cold enough to freeze a brass monkey. Serious cold, frost-bite cold especially with the wind chil

Irene Adler wrote:

Yeah it was a pretty long and cold winter here this year. We had many winters like that when I was a kid but nowadays it's so random. There might be a winter that we have snow for a couple of weeks in total and the average temperature is around zero. I think it's because Mother Nature is having her menopause. The weather is weird all over the globe and that sucks. But now to the important issue here. This friend of yours... is she a she? She hot?

Lol   

She is a she, yes, and she is hot, but I think she is not the exotic Spanish stereotype; she is blonde, blue eyes

July 2, 2012 11:46 am  #50

Irene Adler wrote:

Dramagod wrote:

Davina wrote:

Irene Adler wrote:

Lol   

She is a she, yes, and she is hot, but I think she is not the exotic Spanish stereotype; she is blonde, blue eyes

I thought you've got a Finnish friend here. But a Spanish hottie with blonde hair and blue eyes? Well that's the best of both worlds (Spain and Finland). I'm intrigued, hah. So, where does she live here?

July 3, 2012 7:15 pm  #51

Dramagod wrote:

Smoggy_London_Air wrote:

Irene Adler wrote:

I don't know about coffee or tea and Americans, but here an stereotype for you is that you only eat burgers and drink Coke and can't really say where Spain is (I mean, many Americans place us beside Mexico).

Wait, seriously? That's a little bit scary. Geography, guys. I might mix up the locations of the Netherlands and Denmark, but Spain? Jeez.

I've actually never had a burger in my life. I'm an oddball.

I know the locations of Mexico and Spain, but the culture to me in a nutshellish way seems quite similar.

Never had a burger? I don't know what to say to that except how old were you when you moved from Mars to Earth?

Quite old. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Initials SH and proud owner of a viola named Watson.

Potential flatmates should know the worst about each other.

It's a three patch problem.

I didn't know; I saw.

July 3, 2012 7:17 pm  #52

Davina wrote:

'It's Finland, not Mordor.' Classic stuff DramaGod. That really made me laugh! I liked Finland when I visited although it was cold enough to freeze a brass monkey. Serious cold, frost-bite cold especially with the wind chill. I found the Lappish music and culture very interesting.

Last year where I live it plunged to -5 Fahrenheit and everybody was horrified. So the idea of "brass monkey" weather really does vary.

Initials SH and proud owner of a viola named Watson.

Potential flatmates should know the worst about each other.

It's a three patch problem.

I didn't know; I saw.

July 3, 2012 7:50 pm  #53

There aren't actually that many stereotypes reagarding Finland. Maybe that is one... Finland is enigmatic!
I would say the language is complicated, it's generally rather cold and there are not many people. 

@Smoggy: Seriously, though... try burgers. It will change your life! It's meat in buns. How better can it get? (Well, unless you're a vegetarian.)

July 3, 2012 8:02 pm  #54

Sammy wrote:

There aren't actually that many stereotypes reagarding Finland. Maybe that is one... Finland is enigmatic!
I would say the language is complicated, it's generally rather cold and there are not many people. 

@Smoggy: Seriously, though... try burgers. It will change your life! It's meat in buns. How better can it get? (Well, unless you're a vegetarian.)

What do you mean by enigmatic? Like there's unicorns, rainbows and houses made of candy everywhere? If that's what you meant you are correct. The language IS complicated, I'd say it's one of the hardest languages to learn to speak properly.

For instance in english there is the word cat. And depending on the situation you use other words with it. Like for cat, from cat, inside a cat and so on. But here the word itself includes those. An example. Cat = kissa in english. For cat = kissalle, from cat = kissalta, out of a cat = kissasta, into a cat = kissaan and so on. If there's someone here who's tried to learn Finnish, they could back me up with this.

You are correct, only a little over 5 million people live in Finland. And you speak Finnish only in Finland. So our language isn't spoken by many. I remember one old stereotype I always heard as a kid was that people think we have polar bears here. That's not true. They wouldn't survive here for a day in the wild. It's not THAT cold. I'm sure there's colder in Canada, Russia and places like that.

July 3, 2012 8:40 pm  #55

My stereotype about Finland is that your ladies like to sit on rainbows and trick passing heroes into accidentally chopping themselves with axes.

July 3, 2012 8:41 pm  #56

imane nikko wrote:

your ladies like to sit on rainbows and trick passing heroes into accidentally chopping themselves with axes.

I wish.

July 3, 2012 9:14 pm  #57

LOL, I also know the icebear-story.
Was travelling through Sweden, Finnland and Norway for a while when doing my "saleswoman"-job (NOT in winter!) and when I came back I told hubby several times that we should go there for holiday once.
His answer: "Always snow, dark and all the ice-bears... naaa...." 

By the way: travelling might help against stereotypes. (but I don't like travelling very much...) 

Edit: Working with Scandinavian customers showed me that Finish people can be really stubborn, don't talk a lot, love Jägermeister; they daily go fishing 11 months of the year and every year around winter the Swedes keep telling me they want to quit their job and sell flowers instead!
And Danish people are having a blanket in their mouth when talking.

But nevertheless: If I had to choose between them or German customers - guess who I would prefer?? 

Last edited by Mattlocked (July 3, 2012 9:25 pm)

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

July 3, 2012 9:29 pm  #58

I've gone fishing once in the last 15 years. So I'm not one of those 11-month people. I don't like Jägermeister. You're right that we don't talk much. I understand that in many other cultures people can strike a conversation with total strangers but here that's quite rare. We mind our own business. I'd love that custom to come here as well, though. Would be nice if some nice woman just started talking to me without a reason or wanting something from me.

July 3, 2012 9:36 pm  #59

My friend in Finland says that Finnish boys are really shy...

July 3, 2012 9:37 pm  #60

When we visited Finland it was -20 and blowing a hooley so it was definitely brass monkey weather.

I expect that has just added to the 'colloquial English' list.

Drama...hope springs eternal.

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

Board footera