BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 28, 2012 8:52 pm  #21

Re: National Stereotypes

Sammy wrote:

We think that the British are all very polite!

What on earth ever gave you that idea? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsM0CwqGrBs

Last edited by Dramagod (June 28, 2012 9:01 pm)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My blog: 3sidestoeverystory.tumblr.com

June 30, 2012 6:18 pm  #22

Look, what I've found today on a postcard:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

June 30, 2012 8:38 pm  #23

Oh, there's still some work for me to do. First I'll have to buy a new car  .

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

June 30, 2012 9:48 pm  #24

Lots of British men wear sandals with socks too. German's are good ballroom dancers. I have seen them. The speedy driving is correct, especially on the Autobahn. As for a sense of humour: I have been told that the German sense of humour is no laughing matter!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

July 1, 2012 12:18 am  #25

SusiGo wrote:

Sammy wrote:

We think that other people think that Germans always or at least occasionally wear lederhosen!

Don't tell me you don't own a Lederhose, Sammy 

Now funny that you mention that... I actually recently found a Lederhose in my wardrobe, although kids size. I don't really know what's it doing there and why....

Germans can't dance? I don't think so.
The rest is quite true for the majority, I'm afraid. Although... if I check the list on myself none of it applies. 
Apparently I'm a crappy German?

July 1, 2012 12:51 am  #26

Yes, you're all doing it correctly!

Okay, German. My stereotype is that the language is nothing but yelling and you all live in gingerbread houses.

My next American stereotype is that no one can make a decent cup of tea or coffee.

Last edited by Smoggy_London_Air (July 1, 2012 12:52 am)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Initials SH and proud owner of a viola named Watson.

Potential flatmates should know the worst about each other.

It's a three patch problem.

I didn't know; I saw.

July 1, 2012 9:37 am  #27

I don't know about coffee or tea and Americans, but here an stereotype for you is that you only eat burgers and drink Coke and can't really say where Spain is (I mean, many Americans place us beside Mexico).

And an stereotype for us Spanish I think is that we all make "siesta" after lunch, dance flamenco and like bullfighting

Waiting for a crazy man in a blue box to fall from the sky...

But the thing is, we've taken away all the things that can possibly have happened, so I suppose the only thing that's left, even though it seems really weird, must be the thing that did happen, in fact. (Miss Marple)

July 1, 2012 9:56 am  #28

Irene Adler wrote:

And an stereotype for us Spanish I think is that we all make "siesta" after lunch, dance flamenco and like bullfighting

Please don't tell me it actually isn't so. And I know you all wear huge nacho hats and like salsa.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

July 1, 2012 9:57 am  #29

I think Spanish people;
Wear floaty dresses,
play castanets,
have dark hair,
smile a lot ,
Have loads of fans, (Paper ones, not people ones!)
I also read somewhere that Spanish people are very loving and friendly 

I was wondering if you'd like to have coffee...
Hmm. I really don't know. Oh, I'm sorry, did I say 'know'? I meant 'care'. I don't really care. 
Douglas Richardson, Cremona

July 1, 2012 11:17 am  #30

Dramagod wrote:

Irene Adler wrote:

Please don't tell me it actually isn't so. And I know you all wear huge nacho hats and like salsa.

Well, it is definitely not my case 
I work in the afternoons, so I never have time for siesta; I can't dance anything but watlz; and I really don't like bullfighting
Nacho hats... well, that I have never seen here and salsa is probably one of the favourite dances of a lot of Spanish people (not mine, as I say I can't dance )

Molly Hooper wrote:

I think Spanish people;
Wear floaty dresses,
play castanets,
have dark hair,
smile a lot  ,
Have loads of fans, (Paper ones, not people ones!)
I also read somewhere that Spanish people are very loving and friendly 

That is funny Molly 
Of all that I can say I wear jeans most of the time, I can't play castanets (it's pretty difficult to play them correctly), I have black hair (darker than Miss Pulver) and dark eyes, I smile a lot, and I don't have a paper fan. And well, lovely people you can find almost anywhere, and here there is a lot of nice people and also a lot of jerks 

But the thing is, we've taken away all the things that can possibly have happened, so I suppose the only thing that's left, even though it seems really weird, must be the thing that did happen, in fact. (Miss Marple)

July 1, 2012 2:45 pm  #31

Dramagod, you said about the Spanish, "Please don't tell me it actually isn't so. And I know you all wear huge nacho hats and like salsa."
Did you mean Mexican? I don't think we have any Mexican members, do we? We need to get some.
And what is a nacho hat? Not a hat with a pile of tortilla chips and melted cheese on top, I hope.

July 1, 2012 2:57 pm  #32

And do you mean salsa the dance or salsa the tomatoey dippy thingy?

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

July 1, 2012 2:59 pm  #33

Davina wrote:

And do you mean salsa the dance or salsa the tomatoey dippy thingy?

Or a dance done with a tomato-y dippy thing?

July 1, 2012 5:23 pm  #34

veecee wrote:

Dramagod, you said about the Spanish, "Please don't tell me it actually isn't so. And I know you all wear huge nacho hats and like salsa."
Did you mean Mexican? I don't think we have any Mexican members, do we? We need to get some.
And what is a nacho hat? Not a hat with a pile of tortilla chips and melted cheese on top, I hope.

Another stereotype is that I always confuse mexicans and spanish. But it doesn't matter as long as I have Salma Hayek to adore.

@Irene Adler - You don't know about the nacho hat? In the words of Stevie Wonder "do yourself a favor, educate your mind". I'm here to help you with this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nttfzwiwtV8

Last edited by Dramagod (July 1, 2012 5:24 pm)

July 1, 2012 5:34 pm  #35

Educational...?
That's not a word I would use...

I was wondering if you'd like to have coffee...
Hmm. I really don't know. Oh, I'm sorry, did I say 'know'? I meant 'care'. I don't really care. 
Douglas Richardson, Cremona

July 1, 2012 5:41 pm  #36

Come on. We all know everything one always wanted to learn about life but were afraid to ask, one can learn from THE SIMPSONS.

July 1, 2012 9:00 pm  #37

Irene Adler wrote:

I don't know about coffee or tea and Americans, but here an stereotype for you is that you only eat burgers and drink Coke and can't really say where Spain is (I mean, many Americans place us beside Mexico).

Wait, seriously? That's a little bit scary. Geography, guys. I might mix up the locations of the Netherlands and Denmark, but Spain? Jeez.

I've actually never had a burger in my life. I'm an oddball.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Initials SH and proud owner of a viola named Watson.

Potential flatmates should know the worst about each other.

It's a three patch problem.

I didn't know; I saw.

July 1, 2012 9:10 pm  #38

Smoggy_London_Air wrote:

Irene Adler wrote:

Wait, seriously? That's a little bit scary. Geography, guys. I might mix up the locations of the Netherlands and Denmark, but Spain? Jeez.

I know the locations of Mexico and Spain, but the culture to me in a nutshellish way seems quite similar.

Never had a burger? I don't know what to say to that except how old were you when you moved from Mars to Earth?

July 1, 2012 9:38 pm  #39

Smoggy_London_Air wrote:

I've actually never had a burger in my life.

July 1, 2012 10:34 pm  #40

Dramagod wrote:

Smoggy_London_Air wrote:

Irene Adler wrote:

I know the locations of Mexico and Spain, but the culture to me in a nutshellish way seems quite similar.

Never had a burger? I don't know what to say to that except how old were you when you moved from Mars to Earth?

Well, that's a stereotype, so I guess it's not everyone who thinks like that, but I saw once some Americans saying Spain was beside Mexico
And Dramagod, believe me, the Mexican and the Spanish culture have nothing to do with one another

Board footera