BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 3, 2012 3:02 pm  #181

Re: National Stereotypes

Ooo! CHIPS!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

September 3, 2012 4:16 pm  #182

German: Chips.
So I'll simply keep that in mind and just forget the crisps. 
Very interesting are those pictures 4 and 5. Those are Sweeties (in general, not for me, though) and Pommes Frites. 

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

September 3, 2012 4:24 pm  #183

Potatoes + oil + heat = Deliciousness. Doesn't matter what you name it.

The *real* potato discussion involves what you put with your fries/chips. Ketchup? Mayo? Both (like me)? Vinegar? Mustard? Sriracha??

Last edited by Banbha (September 3, 2012 4:26 pm)

***********************************************************************************************************************
In a world of locked rooms, the man with the key is king. And honey...you should see me in a crown...

September 3, 2012 4:45 pm  #184

Fish and chips and vinegaaar, vinegaaar, vinegaaar...
Fish and chips and vinegaaar, pepper, pepper, pepper, pot.

(Just came to my mind, think we learned that in school a hundred years ago.)

September 3, 2012 5:07 pm  #185

YES. Now I'm hungry. 

***********************************************************************************************************************
In a world of locked rooms, the man with the key is king. And honey...you should see me in a crown...

September 3, 2012 5:49 pm  #186

Salt, mayonnaise sometimes vinegar. Here we use malt vinegar which is dark but in other parts of the UK, like Scotland, they use white (clear) vinegar. Fish and chips, pie and chips, saveloy and chips, sausage in batter and chips. In Scotland, deep fried Mars bar and chips, in the Midlands scraps and chips (scraps are the bits of batter left over after cooking the fish). Many people have ketchup with their chips. We encountered mayo with chips for the first time ever when we visited Germany. Also people will have pickled eggs, pickled onions and gerkins with their fish and chips. Bread roll and butter so you can have a chip butty.

I'm feeling peckish now!

Last edited by Davina (September 3, 2012 5:50 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

September 3, 2012 5:52 pm  #187

I love malt vinegar with fries. YUM! And I miss Mars bars. They were discontinued in the US quite a while ago. I *think* I can still get them in Canada. Mmmm, Aero bars, Smarties... mmmm. I prefer chocolate not made in America. Tastes much better for some reason.

Last edited by Banbha (September 3, 2012 5:53 pm)

September 3, 2012 5:54 pm  #188

Toblerone! Ask Arthur. 

September 3, 2012 5:55 pm  #189

Davina wrote:

We encountered mayo with chips for the first time ever when we visited Germany.

In Germany we call chips "Pommes". Chips with mayo and ketchup are called "Pommes Schranke" ("Chips Barrier" because of the red/white) - at least in my region here.
Crisps are "Chips".

John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

September 3, 2012 5:58 pm  #190

Pommes Schranke found it's way to our area meanwhile, too.

Wonder why I just have to think of Herbert Grönemeyer? 

September 3, 2012 6:00 pm  #191

Ah, Herbie - nice guy! Met him once and had an apple juice with him.

John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

September 3, 2012 6:06 pm  #192

Banbha wrote:

I love malt vinegar with fries. YUM! And I miss Mars bars. They were discontinued in the US quite a while ago. I *think* I can still get them in Canada. Mmmm, Aero bars, Smarties... mmmm. I prefer chocolate not made in America. Tastes much better for some reason.

NO MARS BARS????? I couldn't live in a country that didn't have Mars Bars (or Vegemite, for that matter)

Chips need salt, then dip them in gravy. Yum yum.

Last edited by hepzibah (September 3, 2012 6:08 pm)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FREE PUSSY RIOT

I wish the real world would just stop hassling me - Rob Thomas

Did I mention that I have a Kindle?

#destroythejoint

September 3, 2012 6:06 pm  #193

Oh lucky you!
I'm complaining since years that all "my stars" live so far away in foreign countries - but I didn't even manage to meet some German ones so far... 

Well, one or two maybe, but they aren't even really famous.

September 3, 2012 6:12 pm  #194

I've tried Vegemite. I'm sorry to say that I didn't care for it. I've never tried fries in gravy, but I've heard it's good. But if I have gravy around, I'm more likely to have my potatoes mashed!

September 3, 2012 6:19 pm  #195

Banbha wrote:

I've tried Vegemite. I'm sorry to say that I didn't care for it. I've never tried fries in gravy, but I've heard it's good. But if I have gravy around, I'm more likely to have my potatoes mashed!

I really think that Vegemite is something you need to eat from childhood to appreciate it. I have it on toast just about every morning, it's as necessary as coffee to kickstart my day.

Most takeaway places here that sell chips also sell containers of gravy, so when you buy your chips, you can also buy the gravy to dip them in. Mm, now I'm getting peckish.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FREE PUSSY RIOT

I wish the real world would just stop hassling me - Rob Thomas

Did I mention that I have a Kindle?

#destroythejoint

September 3, 2012 6:32 pm  #196

Chips with curry sauce from the Chinese takeaway. You can still definitely get Mars Bars in Canada, thank the Lord! Pommes Schranke... I must remember that. Poutine...I have mentioned it before and the gravy mention reminded me. Marmite...mmmmm!

Oh and Toblerone...in honour of Arthur. Actually I found a recipe for Toblerone cookies the other day. I will try to findit and post it somewhere on here.

Last edited by Davina (September 3, 2012 6:34 pm)

September 3, 2012 6:32 pm  #197

Takeaway! I was trying to think of what fast food places are called not-in-America.

I get it; I have peanut butter on toast and coffee when I wake up. My "morning" is about 1500 or 1600.

P.S. Yes, I'm American and I use military time. Hospitals here treat time and measurement like the rest of the world so, after 11 years, that's what I've adjusted to.

September 3, 2012 6:36 pm  #198

Davina wrote:

Chips with curry sauce from the Chinese takeaway. You can still definitely get Mars Bars in Canada, thank the Lord! Pommes Schranke... I must remember that. Poutine...I have mentioned it before and the gravy mention reminded me. Marmite...mmmmm!

I need to get to Canada soon. I love Toronto. Most Michiganders go to Windsor as it is right across the river from Detroit, but they only go to gamble and drink under the (US) drinking age. Toronto is wonderful.

Are you familiar with Smarties? Not the sour candies we have in the US, the chocolate candies.

September 3, 2012 6:36 pm  #199

At fast food places, we use the phrase too, you can eat in or have a takeaway. Do you say take-out at all?

September 3, 2012 6:45 pm  #200

Yes. But at fast food places, most people use the drive-through window. The rare time I go to somewhere like McDonald's (and it's always for coffee on the way to work) I always drive through.

Board footera