BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 27, 2012 3:33 pm  #21

Re: Mark Gatiss family values interview

My mother's a happily married lesbian, so I'm sure you can all understand which side of the "gay marriage" issue I come down on.

But I read a book by Karen Armstrong about fundamentalism which totally changed my perspective on the people who get upset about things like homosexuality, the lack of religion in schools, etc. Tantalus didn't choose the word "defend" accidentally when she spoke about Jesus. To some people, the rise of secular culture and the displacement of religion from its central place in society truly feels like an attack.

The book's a bit of a thick read, but I recommend it highly. It helped me become a bit more tolerant of intolerance. Here's an interview with the author, along with a few other experts, which covers some of the main points; the title of Armstrong's book is The Battle for God.

http://sojo.net/magazine/2002/03/fundamentalism-and-modern-world

Anyway... thank you, Tantalus, for making the effort to be polite while standing up for your beliefs. No matter how much I disagree, I respect the courage it took to say what you did.

June 27, 2012 4:03 pm  #22

Imane, thanks for the recommendation! Hepzibah, I feel sure Mr. Gatiss would salute you as well. Now back to Sherlock anyone?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Disguise is always a self portrait

June 27, 2012 4:09 pm  #23

Sentimental Pulse wrote:

Imane, thanks for the recommendation! Hepzibah, I feel sure Mr. Gatiss would salute you as well. Now back to Sherlock anyone?

For me, anytime  .

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

June 27, 2012 4:36 pm  #24

I wonder how much Gatiss draws on his experience as a gay man to inform Sherlock's character?

I don't mean that I think Sherlock's character is being written as gay (although I suppose he could be, or bi, or straight, or asexual for all I know), but that he is different and has to deal with people not understanding or accepting that difference. Some of the character's eccentricities seem almost protective... acting out to drive away the untrustworthy. He clearly understands enough about 'normal' social interaction to fake it if he wanted to.

Kind of reminds me of gay friends of mine who seem to 'turn up' stereotypical gay behavior in social situations -- it always seemed to me like a (possibly unconscious) strategy to make sure that the people who are likely to be upset by their sexuality know about it right up front.

June 27, 2012 4:49 pm  #25

imane nikko wrote:

I wonder how much Gatiss draws on his experience as a gay man to inform Sherlock's character?

I don't mean that I think Sherlock's character is being written as gay (although I suppose he could be, or bi, or straight, or asexual for all I know), but that he is different and has to deal with people not understanding or accepting that difference. Some of the character's eccentricities seem almost protective... acting out to drive away the untrustworthy. He clearly understands enough about 'normal' social interaction to fake it if he wanted to.

Kind of reminds me of gay friends of mine who seem to 'turn up' stereotypical gay behavior in social situations -- it always seemed to me like a (possibly unconscious) strategy to make sure that the people who are likely to be upset by their sexuality know about it right up front.

At the risk of drawing ire for playing psychologist again , I will assume that Gatiss grew up in an environment where he was different from others in one special yet important way. This difference probably ostracized him and made him pull back from those around him. I would think this would give him great empathy to Sherlock and allow Gatiss to write from first hand experience about daring to live as a unique individual, one that is defiantly proud of being unique.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

June 28, 2012 4:49 am  #26

hepzibah wrote:

Maybe, Kazza, but people use the book to justify bigotry and hatred. People are still killed today for having the 'wrong' religious or political beliefs. In the words of the late Rodney King, "Can we all just get along?"

The books don't contain bigotry & hatred, only people have that. How people use any book is completely up to them. My comment was merely something I noticed; the differences in how one person (no-one in particular I assure you all) can have 2 different views on how much one should extrapolate on a book's contents.
As for the 'getting along' comment; at no time was there any attack on any person or people. If my words have been taken to mean that, then I have no control over how people take my words.
I have my reasons, both professionally & personally for refraining on commenting on the subject this thread has changed into, but I will say this (& I will  leave it there) the inference that I am in anyway 'not accepting' of other people & their lives in a huge insult, hurtful & quite unwarranted to say the least.
Rest assured this situation won't happen again.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

June 28, 2012 5:18 am  #27

Reading this thread made me appreciate the Forum even more.
Back on topic:
I have such a crush on Mark Gatiss ( atrtistic crush, sure, but infatuation is infatuation... ). I want to live in his brain for a day. Brilliant writing, brilliant acting.
Great interview.

June 28, 2012 11:12 am  #28

kazza474 wrote:

I have my reasons, both professionally & personally for refraining on commenting on the subject this thread has changed into, but I will say this (& I will  leave it there) the inference that I am in anyway 'not accepting' of other people & their lives in a huge insult, hurtful & quite unwarranted to say the least.
Rest assured this situation won't happen again.

My only intent was to suggest your post was a tad flippant for the subject matter and could be viewed as dismissive. I sincerely and humbly apologize if you read more into my comment than was intended. It never once crossed my mind that you were unaccepting of other people.

Board footera