BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.


You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?



June 25, 2012 5:41 pm  #1


Mark Gatiss family values interview

This is an old interview from 2010 but is still an interesting read. In it Mark speaks about his older brother (!) , his father 'dad', his dad's mining family, coming out to his dad, having a girlfriend, what he was like as a youngster, his relationship with Ian, how they met and their wedding.

www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2010/oct/23/mark-gatiss-family-values/


---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mdq1pcLCUR1rs9hrro1_500.jpg
 

June 25, 2012 6:37 pm  #2


Re: Mark Gatiss family values interview

Thank you for posting this Davina.  Mark Gatiss is a lovely man and a wonderful actor and I admire his frankness in this interview.  It's amazing how someone so intelligent (and now so successful) revealed how insecure and angst ridden his childhood was.  Pretty much like all of us I guess. It's a wonder children actually grow up and become functioning adults considering all the damage society and adults have the potential to do to them.

I'm very glad Mark had a "Sherlock" vision brought to life on the screen and very glad he has given us the character of Mycroft so brilliantly brought to life by his flawless acting.  I for one adore him!


---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And I said "dangerous" and here you are.

You. It's always you. John Watson, you keep me right.

http://i1159.photobucket.com/albums/p635/lianafuller/qwer_zpsbebc7b3b.png
 

June 26, 2012 1:59 am  #3


Re: Mark Gatiss family values interview

How wonderful that there is gender neutral marriage in London so he could commit fully to his partner. Take a hint America.


---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Disguise is always a self portrait
 

June 26, 2012 10:42 am  #4


Re: Mark Gatiss family values interview

Sentimental Pulse wrote:

How wonderful that there is gender neutral marriage in London so he could commit fully to his partner. Take a hint America.

I know Sentimental!! We're working on it but what a battle. Just wish the anti-gay Fundamentalists and homophobes would open themselves up to reason and reality. I live in the great state of Massachusetts which did pass gay marriage. I'm not a liberal in every area of my thinking (more a political middle of the road moderate) but I am on this topic. Happy to hear about Britain too.


---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And I said "dangerous" and here you are.

You. It's always you. John Watson, you keep me right.

http://i1159.photobucket.com/albums/p635/lianafuller/qwer_zpsbebc7b3b.png
 

June 26, 2012 10:47 am  #5


Re: Mark Gatiss family values interview

Wonderful article. In Germany we have a registered partnership for same-sex partners but no marriage. Any attempts so far have been squashed by the conservative and liberal parties. But I think it will come some day. There has been much progress during the last years.


------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

http://up.picr.de/28609194so.png

 
 

June 26, 2012 11:02 am  #6


Re: Mark Gatiss family values interview

KeepersPrice wrote:

Sentimental Pulse wrote:

How wonderful that there is gender neutral marriage in London so he could commit fully to his partner. Take a hint America.

I know Sentimental!! We're working on it but what a battle. Just wish the anti-gay Fundamentalists and homophobes would open themselves up to reason and reality. I live in the great state of Massachusetts which did pass gay marriage. I'm not a liberal in every area of my thinking (more a political middle of the road moderate) but I am on this topic. Happy to hear about Britain too.

KP, amen! Don't get me started on American Politics. I am so appalled at these right wing extremists' attack on women, minorities, GLBT movement and working people, I could scream!!!!!!


---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Disguise is always a self portrait
 

June 26, 2012 11:13 am  #7


Re: Mark Gatiss family values interview

We don't actually have marriage yet here in the UK between same-sex couples.  We do have 'civil partnerships' so our situation is pretty much the same as in Germany by the sounds of it. That said people here tend to refer to such 'civil partnerships' as 'marriage'. They do not have exactly the same legal standing as marriages. Don't ask me why.


---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mdq1pcLCUR1rs9hrro1_500.jpg
     Thread Starter
 

June 26, 2012 9:24 pm  #8


Re: Mark Gatiss family values interview

Fellow Sherlockians,

Judging from what I've read on the forum recently, I suppose this post will likely put me out of favor with most here. But, I feel an obligation, since others have broached the topic, to defend my Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ.

It is sad that those of us who still believe that God is the ultimate authority in all matters of rule and practice are condemned as "homophobes" and "right-wing fanatics" when we acknowledge that there are absolutes, and that all forms of sexual deviation from the creation norm dishonor the living God.

I don't hate gay people anymore than I would hate a man who had sexual relations with his sister or with an animal. Nor do I stand in judgement over others regarding their lifestyle choices. But I do believe the Bible is to guide those choices, and thus I cannot support gay marriage, civil unions, or any other societal acceptance of what God has called unholy. That doesn't make me better than anyone else; we're all sinners, and we all displease God in various ways.

I was beginning to feel like my silence might be interpreted as support for things I cannot support. I hope my posting here can be seen in that light, and not as an attack on any of my Sherlockian friends. I don't want this site to become political (I, too, despise politicians, no matter what their affiliation.). I likely won't post further on this topic, but am happy to pm with anyone who would like to discuss what I've said, cuss me, or otherwise respond.

Thank you for listening.

-T


---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Perfectly sound analysis. I was hoping you would go a little deeper."
 

June 26, 2012 10:03 pm  #9


Re: Mark Gatiss family values interview

Tantalus wrote:

Fellow Sherlockians,

Judging from what I've read on the forum recently, I suppose this post will likely put me out of favor with most here. But, I feel an obligation, since others have broached the topic, to defend my Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ.

It is sad that those of us who still believe that God is the ultimate authority in all matters of rule and practice are condemned as "homophobes" and "right-wing fanatics" when we acknowledge that there are absolutes, and that all forms of sexual deviation from the creation norm dishonor the living God.

I don't hate gay people anymore than I would hate a man who had sexual relations with his sister or with an animal. Nor do I stand in judgement over others regarding their lifestyle choices. But I do believe the Bible is to guide those choices, and thus I cannot support gay marriage, civil unions, or any other societal acceptance of what God has called unholy. That doesn't make me better than anyone else; we're all sinners, and we all displease God in various ways.

I was beginning to feel like my silence might be interpreted as support for things I cannot support. I hope my posting here can be seen in that light, and not as an attack on any of my Sherlockian friends. I don't want this site to become political (I, too, despise politicians, no matter what their affiliation.). I likely won't post further on this topic, but am happy to pm with anyone who would like to discuss what I've said, cuss me, or otherwise respond.

Thank you for listening.

-T

Tantalus, you're not in the least out of favour with me - I just couldn't disagree more with you on this topic.
Jesus Christ doesn't need to be defended (He's fine without our help!) - our brothers and sisters do!
No-one and nothing has the right to make anyone feel unhappy in the name of the Gospel - of all things!
(No, I'm not an atheist.)


---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."


I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!
http://up.picr.de/25572077rl.jpg



                                                                                                                  
 

June 26, 2012 11:05 pm  #10


Re: Mark Gatiss family values interview

Tantalus wrote:

Fellow Sherlockians,

Judging from what I've read on the forum recently, I suppose this post will likely put me out of favor with most here. But, I feel an obligation, since others have broached the topic, to defend my Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ.

It is sad that those of us who still believe that God is the ultimate authority in all matters of rule and practice are condemned as "homophobes" and "right-wing fanatics" when we acknowledge that there are absolutes, and that all forms of sexual deviation from the creation norm dishonor the living God.

I don't hate gay people anymore than I would hate a man who had sexual relations with his sister or with an animal. Nor do I stand in judgement over others regarding their lifestyle choices. But I do believe the Bible is to guide those choices, and thus I cannot support gay marriage, civil unions, or any other societal acceptance of what God has called unholy. That doesn't make me better than anyone else; we're all sinners, and we all displease God in various ways.

I was beginning to feel like my silence might be interpreted as support for things I cannot support. I hope my posting here can be seen in that light, and not as an attack on any of my Sherlockian friends. I don't want this site to become political (I, too, despise politicians, no matter what their affiliation.). I likely won't post further on this topic, but am happy to pm with anyone who would like to discuss what I've said, cuss me, or otherwise respond.

Thank you for listening.

-T

Tantalus, I appreciate the courage it takes to stand up alone against a majority you feel sure opposes your heartfelt beliefs. I respect you for doing that in a venue where you feel you may be in the minority. As I have said elsewhere I am transsexual. I know what it is like to stand up alone against society, family, and friends and yes even religious teachings in some of the stricter christian sects. Fortunately my Lutheran Sect takes a more loving and inclusive view.

I was born a woman. My self identity, my brain, my heart, my emotions have always known that.  Medical science today mostly supports that view. God knows it too because he made me that way. Just as he made gay people the way they are. He does not make mistakes. In the plant kingdom and animal kingdom we marvel at all the varieties and nuances of His wonderful creations. Only in the human species has society continually viewed variety as threatening to the status quo.

I understand why you do not want your religious views to unfairly brand you as a bigoted right winger. I have no reason to assume that you are. I feel the same way when my ultra cynical progressive friends tell me there is no such thing as real Christians. They see religious fundamentalists on TV rail against the sin of two loving albeit gay people being together. Then they see the same fundamentalists support political candidates that strip programs for the poor, oppose fair wages for working families, oppose education, oppose health care for all, support guns and wars.They wonder how any of that jives with the teachings of Christ. They do not see a lot of WWJD? in these people.

Anyway that is my view.


---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Disguise is always a self portrait
 

June 27, 2012 5:04 am  #11


Re: Mark Gatiss family values interview

Hey Tantalus

Thanks for putting your views forward, even though I disagee with them 

I was brought up as a Catholic (now very lapsed) and went to Mass every Sunday and went to Catholic schools. Catholics don't tend to take the bible literally, but more as a collection of parables and stories. In my mid-teens I decided that religion was not for me. I think organised religion does a lot of harm in the world, (as does a lot of political ideology) but I acknowledge that It helps a lot of people make sense of the world.

As for homosexuality, well, I don't care who people sleep with as long as both parties are consenting adults. I don't think people choose their sexuality anymore than people choose to be left-handed or have red hair, it's just the way some people are. Homosexuality has been around since ancient times. It may be frowned on in your belief system, but not in mine. The world is full of enough chaos and disorder, and if a person finds someone to love and be loved by, good luck to them. Live and let live, I say.

And, finally, I think there are more important issues in the world that sex, it bugs me that people get so caught up in it. Think how happy we would be if we didn't take it so seriously.

I DO believe in a lot of religious philosopy, e.g do unto others as you would have them do unto you; let he who is without sin cast the first stone; the parable of the Good Samaritan, so I don't discount every thing about religion.

No offense meant to those of a religious persuasion   

Last edited by hepzibah (June 27, 2012 5:08 am)


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FREE PUSSY RIOT

I wish the real world would just stop hassling me - Rob Thomas

Did I mention that I have a Kindle?

#destroythejoint
 

June 27, 2012 7:17 am  #12


Re: Mark Gatiss family values interview

Hello Tantalus,
my respect for your courage to write so openly about you deep-felt religious views which I do not share but of course accept. There is just one thing that I never understood and do not understand to this very day: If you believe that God created all beings then he created as well gay people. And if God created everyone and everything with a reason being gay can be no sin and it cannot be held against the person. For me rejecting people because of their sexual orientation would be like doubting God's decisions. But that is just the personal opinion of a retired Christian (as Peter O'Toole put it once).


------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

http://up.picr.de/28609194so.png

 
 

June 27, 2012 8:05 am  #13


Re: Mark Gatiss family values interview

How dreadfully bothersome for Mark; the article touches on pieces of his life & soon enough a debate on same sex marriage breaks out!

Very humourous however, having 2 threads which touch on interpretations of a book and the differing views that result.


____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey
 

June 27, 2012 11:06 am  #14


Re: Mark Gatiss family values interview

kazza474 wrote:

How dreadfully bothersome for Mark; the article touches on pieces of his life & soon enough a debate on same sex marriage breaks out!

Very humourous however, having 2 threads which touch on interpretations of a book and the differing views that result.

Yes bigotry and injustice is very humorous, kazza


---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Disguise is always a self portrait
 

June 27, 2012 11:38 am  #15


Re: Mark Gatiss family values interview

Oh I wouldn't say either book had bigotry and injustice in them. Where'd that come from?
Not from my post, lol.


____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey
 

June 27, 2012 2:00 pm  #16


Re: Mark Gatiss family values interview

Maybe, Kazza, but people use the book to justify bigotry and hatred. People are still killed today for having the 'wrong' religious or political beliefs. In the words of the late Rodney King, "Can we all just get along?"


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FREE PUSSY RIOT

I wish the real world would just stop hassling me - Rob Thomas

Did I mention that I have a Kindle?

#destroythejoint
 

June 27, 2012 2:13 pm  #17


Re: Mark Gatiss family values interview

hepzibah wrote:

Maybe, Kazza, but people use the book to justify bigotry and hatred. People are still killed today for having the 'wrong' religious or political beliefs. In the words of the late Rodney King, "Can we all just get along?"

Hepzibah. I am giving you and all the other intelligent and accepting people here a standing ovation

Last edited by Sentimental Pulse (June 27, 2012 2:14 pm)


---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Disguise is always a self portrait
 

June 27, 2012 2:56 pm  #18


Re: Mark Gatiss family values interview

I've never had a standing ovation before, I feel quite humble (seriously). This is an issue close to my heart, not because of my sexuality, after all I am going to marry either Benny or Martin one day (sorry, Amanda). I have Aspergers Syndrome, which is on the Autism Spectrum scale and so I see the world differently to a lot of people and sometimes act in a way that Sherlock would be familiar with, for example, lack of social skills and trouble reading body language. As such, I have often been treated as an oddball and weirdo, even within my own family, so I identify with 'outsiders' like yourself (hope you don't mind me using that term).  We all are peculiar in our own ways and need to accept each other as such. 


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FREE PUSSY RIOT

I wish the real world would just stop hassling me - Rob Thomas

Did I mention that I have a Kindle?

#destroythejoint
 

June 27, 2012 3:16 pm  #19


Re: Mark Gatiss family values interview

hepzibah wrote:

I've never had a standing ovation before, I feel quite humble (seriously). This is an issue close to my heart, not because of my sexuality, after all I am going to marry either Benny or Martin one day (sorry, Amanda). I have Aspergers Syndrome, which is on the Autism Spectrum scale and so I see the world differently to a lot of people and sometimes act in a way that Sherlock would be familiar with, for example, lack of social skills and trouble reading body language. As such, I have often been treated as an oddball and weirdo, even within my own family, so I identify with 'outsiders' like yourself (hope you don't mind me using that term).  We all are peculiar in our own ways and need to accept each other as such. 

Yes we are all unique with our own peculiarities that others may not identify with or understand. I am sorry for the challenges you face. I can only say that I find you lovely and caring and gracious and witty. To me your social skills are wonderful and you would be someone I'd gladly seek out as a friend.


---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Disguise is always a self portrait
 

June 27, 2012 3:23 pm  #20


Re: Mark Gatiss family values interview

Oh, Janine, you are too sweet! But how did we wander so far away from the original topic of darling Mr Gatiss? Just another day on the Sherlock boards.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FREE PUSSY RIOT

I wish the real world would just stop hassling me - Rob Thomas

Did I mention that I have a Kindle?

#destroythejoint
 

Board footera

 

Powered by Boardhost. Create a Free Forum