BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 25, 2012 1:33 am  #1

Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows

Really?  I kind of wandered away towards the end of it, UN-riveted.

It was pure entertainment (and action) but it didn't stimulate the mind at all. 

I could drone on and on, but suffice it to say I think Sherlock! spoiled me.

Anybody else?

I'm guessing you guys have discussed this, but I couldn't find it, sorry.

June 25, 2012 3:24 pm  #2

Re: Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows

Honestly, I liked the Downey/Law films. I know that they are totally different from Sherlock and therefore I'm not going to compare them. I like RDJ very much, he has played a number of extraordinary and brilliant roles (Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, Chaplin, Less than zero, The singing detective, Fur, etc.). Of course they are pure entertainment, popcorn cinema as we call it in German, but to me that is no sin. They depict a later stage in the friendship of Holmes and Watson and there are some very good, quiet scenes that show how deeply Holmes feels for Watson and how afraid he is of loving him to his future wife. Of course it can be argues that it is not in the canon but this I think applies to other adaptations as well.
I must admit that I have a problem with the Jeremy Brett series. My brother-in-law gave me a DVD set and I was totally disappointed that Watson was such an old man. I guess I've been totally spoilt be Martin and Jude law, but for me it simply didn't work. The special chemistry, the constant sparkle that is between them was missing. But I promise I'll have another go. Maybe I'm simply attracted to the more "modern", audacious adaptations.
That said I wish to add that of course I LOVE Sherlock and that it is a wonderful challenge to the mind … yes, and the heart and the eyes and so on … Why else would I be here?? 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

June 25, 2012 3:43 pm  #3

In the earlier Jeremy Brett adaptations, The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, David Burke's Watson is younger and Jeremy Brett is healthier, take a look at them.  The chemistry is there, in my opinion!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It was worth a wound–it was worth many wounds–to know the depth of loyalty and love which lay behind that cold mask. The clear, hard eyes were dimmed for a moment, and the firm lips were shaking. For the one and only time I caught a glimpse of a great heart as well as of a great brain. All my years of humble but single-minded service culminated in that moment of revelation.

June 25, 2012 3:50 pm  #4

Thank you, I shall have at look at those as well. In my DVD set there is only Edward Hardwicke.

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

June 26, 2012 7:51 pm  #5

SusiGo --  You're right, I shouldn't have compared them.  I should really watch it again with a non-jaundiced eye.  I DID really like Jude Law, though.  I think that I was meh about Downey's Sherlock because he seemed like he wasn't serious enough?  I don't know.  *shrugs*.

Haven't seen the Jeremy Britt series, but I'm sure I'll get to it.  The only other Sherlocks I've seen are The Hounds with Basil Rathbone, and Without a Clue with Michael Caine and Ben Kingsley.  I'm such a Novice!

June 27, 2012 1:15 am  #6

Yeah I really enjoyed Game Of Shadows although it is more like a James Bond movie or seeing as it's RDJ, Iron Man, lol...lots of action and not much intelligent deduction BUT still enjoyable and there were definitely still canon moments...I mean obviously it's kind of based on the Final Problem...and I like the way they swapped the Reichenbach Falls for a hotel balcony, neat.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

June 27, 2012 2:59 am  #7

Maren: I think I get what you mean when you say RDJ's not serious enough. It was OK at first, but it does get tiring as the movie progressed. However, I did like the scenes where he thinks of what will happen in a particuar scenario, then it happens exactly a few seconds later (like when he was fighting Irene's thugs at the beginning, and when he was saving the gypsy lady from the guy who wanted to kill her.)

Plus, I think I remember that in the canon, Sherlock is portrayed as a person who is always very neat with his appearance. (I think I read this in the Hound of the Baskervilles). But RDJ isn't always so. Oh well. I still love the movie

June 30, 2012 10:17 am  #8

I must admit, I love the outfits although they are quite unlike the Holmes in the canon. And there are some scenes I really like because they are quiet and intense: when Holmes delivers a dishevelled Watson on his wedding day and nudges him silently to go to his bride; his conversation with Moriarty when he learns that Irene has been killed and Watson and his wife are in danger; at the restaurant when Holmes says: Right, so you'll get married tomorrow, settle down with Mary and I'll... die alone. They mostly play it for comedy but I think the chemistry between them is very nice.

July 1, 2012 7:39 pm  #9

I don't get the same intensely intellectual feel from RDJ as I do from Benedict. The sphere of prowess seems to be mostly physical for many of RDJ's roles, and that's alright. He's still capable of making deductions, although most of them are boxing-related, and to me that makes it fine.

Watson didn't react quite how I wanted him to, though. It was just kind of like "Oh, he's alive that's cool," instead of "OH MY GOD HE'S ALIVE!" -faint-. The way they did the credits was beautiful, I thought.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Initials SH and proud owner of a viola named Watson.

Potential flatmates should know the worst about each other.

It's a three patch problem.

I didn't know; I saw.

July 1, 2012 7:47 pm  #10

I'm not quite sure if he realised at once what the breathing device in the parcel meant. But it remains to see what he's going to do when he meets Holmes in person. However, I think there is a fundamental difference to the situation as a whole because he is a newly married man whereas Martin/John is "so alone" without Holmes.
And you're right, RDJ plays Holmes more physical and less intellectual. I think the approaches are totally different and you can choose which one you prefer. As I wrote, I like both, but "our" Sherlock gives much more food for thought and has a deeper personality. Nevertheless, I like RSJ very much and he has done brilliant things in many films.

July 3, 2012 8:14 am  #11

I'm still really looking forward to the third movie!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

July 3, 2012 10:59 am  #12

So do I  . But then I really have a soft spot for RDJ.

Board footera