BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 24, 2012 1:41 pm  #1

The gospel according to John Watson

As a companion piece to the wonderful thread Keeper's Price started regarding the relationship between Sherlock and Watson, I'd like to step back and take a philosophical view from a longer distance. I'd like to offer up a brazen, controversial and heretical notion for consideration and hopefully for further exploration by our brilliant group of Baker Street Irregulars.

People have argued for centuries about The Bible and what the written words represent. So many translations, so many books excluded from the final text, so many archaic judgments based on the governing forces, prejudices and knowledge of science and the rest of the world at that primitive time in history. Some people think religion, the notion of God, and the words are meaningless hogwash. Some are strict literalists believing that the text represents the literal immovable words of God. Some like me believe they are the word of God as witnessed by man, and written with all the prejudices and ignorances and in context views that those men possessed. This view forces me and others to pick and choose and interpret Bible teachings with those prejudices in mind.

What about the books of Sherlock Holmes? Are they not the gospel according to John Watson? To me the most telling scene in any of the episodes in Season 1 or 2 is the scene in SiB where John says Sherlock is incapable of normal feeling and Mycroft subtlely suggests that John might want to take another look at the would be pirate. What are Moftiss suggesting? Could this not be their way of saying, look beyond John's words? What if the narrator of The Strand Magazine exploits and the John Watson blog has it wrong? One could even argue that Sherlock makes a more dashing figure and compelling read as the emotionless warrior, impervious to all human failings.

If Sherlock has no emotional attachment to Watson, if Sherlock detests John's writings about him and if John offers no real tangible intellectual benefit to Sherlock's investigations, why does Sherlock seek him out after the Reichenbach fall and remain his close acquaintance and companion for decades?

When we read books of fiction should we take the narrator's words as gospel or should we evaluate the narrator's point of view and let our imaginations take us where emotionaly and intellectually we must go? I believe we must follow the latter course of action.

I hope this topic makes some sense. If not I just wasted a lot of typing.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Disguise is always a self portrait

June 24, 2012 2:08 pm  #2

Re: The gospel according to John Watson

Great topic!

I, for one, have always allowed myself to extrapolate further from the few hints that the writer(s) provide.  Intellectually, it seems foolish to veer off into fantasy land, but I do think that most fiction would be very flat and unsatisfying if the reader were only to accept the written words.

The reader (and John Watson) wait a very long time for the moment in my signature line, but it says so much about their relationship.  John has his own reasons for staying and working with Sherlock, but demonstrative affection is not one of them.  Nevertheless, he is genuinely touched when the moment comes.  And it doesn't change a thing.

Just after the scene with Mycroft that you mention, John is carefully feeling his way around Sherlock's emotions.  He's being intuitive and practical, but fiercely protective at the same time.  He's about to tell him that Irene is, if fact, dead when Sherlock asks for the phone and John instantly picks up on something inviolate.

It will be interesting to follow this thread!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It was worth a wound–it was worth many wounds–to know the depth of loyalty and love which lay behind that cold mask. The clear, hard eyes were dimmed for a moment, and the firm lips were shaking. For the one and only time I caught a glimpse of a great heart as well as of a great brain. All my years of humble but single-minded service culminated in that moment of revelation.

June 24, 2012 7:31 pm  #3

No, never take the narrator's word as gospel! Although Watson is a fairly reliable narrator, he is still impacted by his own emotions and unlike his companion Mr Holmes, finds it pretty difficult to remain detached and aloof from a situation. This is particularly true on John's blog, but even if you go back to the canon, you have to remember practically everything is told from Watson's POV and might not be exactly how it happened.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

June 26, 2012 11:29 am  #4

I have had arguments with people (well, my sister) about things that we have both been involved in but interpret differently. So, every one has a different point of view. In the books, Watson's is the only point of view we have, so I feel we have to trust him unless there are clear indications that he is wrong, whereas with the TV show, events can be shown that John is not present at. In The Reichenbach Falls (book) Watson believes,and we believe, that Holmes is dead. But in Sherlock, John believes that Sherlock is dead but we know that he is alive. So, different points of view.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FREE PUSSY RIOT

I wish the real world would just stop hassling me - Rob Thomas

Did I mention that I have a Kindle?

#destroythejoint

June 26, 2012 1:30 pm  #5

hepzibah wrote:

I have had arguments with people (well, my sister) about things that we have both been involved in but interpret differently. So, every one has a different point of view. In the books, Watson's is the only point of view we have, so I feel we have to trust him unless there are clear indications that he is wrong, whereas with the TV show, events can be shown that John is not present at. In The Reichenbach Falls (book) Watson believes,and we believe, that Holmes is dead. But in Sherlock, John believes that Sherlock is dead but we know that he is alive. So, different points of view.

Very common-sense answer.
ALL any of us knows about the character of Holmes has been given to us by Watson. Yes, 4 stories were written from another narrators's perspective but by that time, the character was well established and nothing in those 4 stories wavered from what we knew. We need to remember however that even the perspective of Watson came from one source only ACD.
People can play psychologist & psychoanalyse Holmes or Watson as much as they like, the fact remains he is a fictitious character with set parameters.
All this amateur character extrapolation is mere fantasy which doesn't sit with the whole premise of the Sherlock Holmes canon, which is based on scientific analysis and deduction.
I think in this thread canon matters have been mistakenly identified with the Moffatt/Gatiss interpretation.The lines are blurring, or maybe they were never defined for some to start with.
I'd also be careful using the word "Gospel", that term belongs to subjects surrounding Christianity & last time I looked, Holmes has nothing to do with Christianity.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

June 26, 2012 2:14 pm  #6

kazza474 wrote:

[Very common-sense answer.
ALL any of us knows about the character of Holmes has been given to us by Watson. Yes, 4 stories were written from another narrators's perspective but by that time, the character was well established and nothing in those 4 stories wavered from what we knew. We need to remember however that even the perspective of Watson came from one source only ACD.
People can play psychologist & psychoanalyse Holmes or Watson as much as they like, the fact remains he is a fictitious character with set parameters.
All this amateur character extrapolation is mere fantasy which doesn't sit with the whole premise of the Sherlock Holmes canon, which is based on scientific analysis and deduction.
I think in this thread canon matters have been mistakenly identified with the Moffatt/Gatiss interpretation.The lines are blurring, or maybe they were never defined for some to start with.
I'd also be careful using the word "Gospel", that term belongs to subjects surrounding Christianity & last time I looked, Holmes has nothing to do with Christianity.

I knew this was going to be a controversial thread and one that would invite some heated opinions and I say bully for that. That is what makes this intelligent community great. Thanks for participating, kazza. A few points/comments/questions in rebuttal to your statements:

kazza474 wrote:

gos·pel (gspl)
n.
1. often Gospel The proclamation of the redemption preached by Jesus and the Apostles, which is the central content of Christian revelation.
a. Gospel Bible One of the first four New Testament books, describing the life, death, and resurrection of Jesus and recording his teaching.
b. A similar narrative.
3. often Gospel A lection from any of the first four New Testament books included as part of a religious service.
4. A teaching or doctrine of a religious teacher.
5. Music Gospel music.
6. Something, such as an idea or principle, accepted as unquestionably true: My parents' rules were gospel.
adj.
1. often Gospel Of or in accordance with the Gospel; evangelical.
2. Of or relating to gospel music.

kazza474 wrote:

To me the idea of a "fictitious character with set parameters" is a bit of problematic concept. How does one define and limit human behavior? Are you saying that if all of us read Catcher in The Rye or Slaughterhouse 5 or Little Women or David Copperfield, that we will all interpret and define Holden Cauflield, Billy Pilgrim, Jo or Mr. Micawber the same way? I think not, nor do I believe that is the author's intent. Written fiction is not a tech manual or an owner's manual of defned instructions. It invites and challenges us to imagination. If that had not been ACD's intent he could have opted instead to write Sunday Brain Teaser puzzles to keep the damn humanistic element out of it

kazza474 wrote:

I think in this thread canon matters have been mistakenly identified with the Moffatt/Gatiss interpretation.The lines are blurring, or maybe they were never defined for some to start with. ].

Perhaps. But it was never my intent to put a strict construct or definition on an abstract idea. My premise is that Moftiss are suggesting to us that perhaps Watson's view may be a tad skewed because he does not yet fully understand Holmes. That was my intended focus. I did not start this thread on a Baker Street Irregular forum. I posted it on the Sherlock forum because we are fans of this television interpretation and portrayal.

Last edited by Sentimental Pulse (June 26, 2012 2:23 pm)

June 26, 2012 6:15 pm  #7

Wow, I must say this has turned out to be the most philosophical thread I have come across in a long time...amazing!

Both  areas of discussion identified here go way beyond Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson...

1. The question of the relativity of fact.
As hepzibah correctly noted, we often cannot even agree on facts in our on lives, how can we judge the perception of others? There is a well known quote from Hans Christian von Baeyer's "Taming the Atom", which sums up beautifully how personal interpretation and fact can blur:
The physicist Leo Szilard once announced to his friend Hans Bethethat he was thinking of keeping a diary:
“I don’t intend to publish. I am merely going to record the facts for the information of God.â€
“Don’t you think God knows the facts?† Bethe asked.
“Yes,† said Szilard.†He knows the facts, but He does not know this version of the facts.†
(if you haven't read the book and it looks familiar, that's because it is written on the inside cover of Bill Bryson's Short History of Nearly Everything)

I don't think we will be able to solve this issue right here, and therefore have to accept that although Watson's view (whether in the books or any other interpretation) is biased and limited, it is the closest we will ever get to knowing Sherlock Holmes. Everything else is just interpretation...

2. The value and purpose of literary (character) studies.
Endless amounts of time and paper have been spent on analyzing characters such as Hamlet or Dr. Faustus, of whom we will ever only know one thing for certain - that they are fictional. They have no life, no intent, no memory.
Yet, why are we so keen on interpreting the characteristics and fates of these fictional personae, that it has lead to these characters not only being used as inspiration for new works of art (paintings, songs etc.), but that they are even used to describe psychological phenomena (e.g. Oedipus complex)? Why have generations of students written essays on every member of the Buddenbrooks family?
Why, in short, do we care about them?
I cannot give you a scientific answer, but I strongly believe that the mystery behind fiction, the "blanks" left by the authors, is what draws us towards it, makes us want to find answers,"play psychologist" if you like.
Because Sherlock Holmes never WAS, he can be everything, be anything. His personality may be set by the description ACD gave of the man, but it is not limited to it.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"There is no such word as 'impossible' in my dictionary. In fact, everything between 'herring' and 'marmalade' seems to be missing." Dirk Gently

Finally, I have made it to Cipher Expert :-))))) (8.8.2012)

June 26, 2012 6:50 pm  #8

hypergreenfrog wrote:

Yet, why are we so keen on interpreting the characteristics and fates of these fictional personae, that it has lead to these characters not only being used as inspiration for new works of art (paintings, songs etc.), but that they are even used to describe psychological phenomena (e.g. Oedipus complex)? Why have generations of students written essays on every member of the Buddenbrooks family?
Why, in short, do we care about them?
I cannot give you a scientific answer, but I strongly believe that the mystery behind fiction, the "blanks" left by the authors, is what draws us towards it, makes us want to find answers,"play psychologist" if you like.
Because Sherlock Holmes never WAS, he can be everything, be anything. His personality may be set by the description ACD gave of the man, but it is not limited to it.

Indeed, very perceptive HGF. In my opinion there has never been a great novel/story/play written that did not contain both depth and complexity of characters and also major conflict that those characters needed to deal with and navigate. For all the wonderful puzzles and displays of investigative genius in Sherlock Holmes, these stories are chiefly remembered for SH's eccentricities and complexities. These complexities were made even harder to decipher and untangle because of that which was left open to interpretation and never really addressed.

Last edited by Sentimental Pulse (June 26, 2012 6:52 pm)

June 27, 2012 2:51 am  #9

Sentimental Pulse wrote:

I knew this was going to be a controversial thread and one that would invite some heated opinions and I say bully for that. That is what makes this intelligent community great. .......

Ah, no. This is far from controversial. It's just fandom overboard.
I'll step away thanks.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

June 27, 2012 3:53 am  #10

Hurray, Kazza approves of somehting I posted! I feel overcome 

Anyway, youze guys are using too many big words and are making my brain hurt 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FREE PUSSY RIOT

I wish the real world would just stop hassling me - Rob Thomas

Did I mention that I have a Kindle?

#destroythejoint

June 27, 2012 7:13 am  #11

I agree with the points made above regarding the unreliabilty of the narrator- in this case John Watson. Unlike some authors I do not think that ACD was deliberately making Watson  unreliable, as a literary device.

I have run out of time to post any more on this just now...but...I shall return!

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

June 27, 2012 9:46 am  #12

To project this onto the Sherlock series....I think Moftiss are showing us their interpretation of Sherlock and John BASED ON Watson's interpretation of himself and Holmes from the canon, so there is bound to be some influence of Watson's opnion there, whether that is correct or not. Forgive me for talking like the canon is real but for the purposes of this discussion it's easier to imagine it so!

June 27, 2012 10:47 am  #13

Yes but the canon IS real because it has a direct influence upon the writers. It's a bit like they are semi-possessed by it (is that even possible?)

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

June 27, 2012 10:50 am  #14

Well it is the blueprint isn't it? You can't change the foundations without the house coming down; especially an Empty House.

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

June 28, 2012 10:17 am  #15

I hate it when people try to insist Sherlock Holmes is a fictional character. Dull.

June 28, 2012 10:57 am  #16

Sherlock Holmes wrote:

I hate it when people try to insist Sherlock Holmes is a fictional character. Dull.

No...BORRRRRING

Board footera