BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 20, 2012 9:44 am  #21

Re: Molly Hooper Fan Club

Sammy wrote:

I love Molly.

I hope that in the next season Sherlock treats her better. And that the whole you-do-count thing hasn't made her crush even worse but has rather settled the things between them.

I am very curious how this will continue...Molly is not a figure from the canon, so the writers can take her any direction they want. From my experience in real life, I'd say in real life it could go both ways.
She could take his "I need you" as encouragement to pursue him further, which would be quite unfortunate. But I have noticed that for some people, once the pattern of "I adore you and you ignore me" is broken, a part of the attraction is lost or at least diminished. Of course, such people rarely change, they just move on to find someone else to admire from a distance. But something along those lines could be fun to watch too... would Sherlock get jealous if Molly starting seriously seeking someone else's attention?

Last edited by hypergreenfrog (July 20, 2012 9:46 am)

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"There is no such word as 'impossible' in my dictionary. In fact, everything between 'herring' and 'marmalade' seems to be missing." Dirk Gently

Finally, I have made it to Cipher Expert :-))))) (8.8.2012)

July 20, 2012 10:24 am  #22

Sherlock Holmes wrote:

Hmm, the only female character in the canon that Holmes has any kind of respect for is Ms Adler, and obviously she's already been used.

Yes, I can't think of one offhand, male or female. It was just a nice thought that there could have been I guess, lol.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

July 20, 2012 11:38 am  #23

Of all the characters in the series I think Molly has the potential to grow and change the most as the series goes forward. She starts out meekly, enamored and impressed with Sherlock, clumsily trying to woo a man totally different from her and frankly out of her league. Her attempt at the Christmas party to look fabulous for Sherlock was clumsy and a little sad. We felt sorry for her. From dress to jewelry to makeup she comes across as crass and overdone, far from the elegance and class she was striving for. Everyone at the party saw it, but only Sherlock, of course, called her out on it.

I expect as we go forward she will slowly grow up and stop taking abuse and acting as Sherlock's doormat. We already have seen signs of it. Sherlock will still be Sherlock but she will react to him differently and I expect he will be surprised at her change and growth. Her development will not ruffle the feathers of the strict canonites because she does not come from the canon. We must remember that there is a difference between a book and a movie/tv show. The book can ignore the depth of lesser characters but the screen shows all. Since Moftiss has added Molly to Sherlock's inner circle, she must grow. If Molly never changes she will become a bad joke, a prop, a piece of furniture. I don't see Moftiss letting that happen.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Disguise is always a self portrait

July 20, 2012 11:45 pm  #24

As my username indicates, I'm a huge fan of Molly's. For several reasons that have already been mentioned in this really interesting thread.

I personally can really relate to her and I think she is a very fascinating character because, as we've seen brilliantly acted by Louise Brealey, she withholds this unconditional deep sort of loyalty and trust for Sherlock although he obviously didn't really earn much of it.

I think this kind of unconditional support is a very rare thing to appear, either in reality or in a series, because to me, it's basically something many people are trying to have for people they love, but somehow fail to maintain it because we all sometimes get caught up in things the other did that hurt us.

Molly, in my opinion, manages to step beyond that, probably being well aware of the fact that she's the only one to be able to help him in any way in his situation.

And beside all the scenes with her and Sherlock in TRF, which definitely belong to my favorite scenes of the show so far, I loved her in all her other appearances as well.

Just a few of my own personal thoughts...and kind of an explanation to my name...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sherlock: If I wasn't everything that you think I am, everything that I think I am, would you still want to help me?
Molly: What do you need?
Sherlock: You.

July 24, 2012 6:06 pm  #25

Hey, really cool comments.

I've been working on a theory about SiB and "Sherlock's women", so to speak. I really need to get a blog going; this is such fun.

But anyway, a little detail I noticed about Molly's character and this whole idea of what kind of people Sherlock actually respects or not is in the way she represents what is best about him and Irene Adler represents what's worst.  Molly is a scientist, geeky (who else would work happily in a morgue's laboratory?) loyal, and generally subordinates her personal life to work.  Adler is smart, narcissistic, a-moral, craves danger and excitement, and hangs out with criminals.

Maybe the reason we as Molly fans are attracted to this passing glance at Holmes' (suggested, but never consumated) love life is that there's a kind of intimated morality-play going on here.  Is Sherlock a real sociopath, as he himself claims?  Should we care if he's "redeemed" or not, if we even wonder?  I feel this little tug of manipulation on the part of the writers and am loving every second of it.

Her truest sign of a growing self-assurance is when she forces him to say "thank you".  He's forced to do this on other occasions but no one's watching this time.  Great scene.

True, maybe none of this is "canon", but the Sherlock character is by now fully free for the taking by any author who wants to take a stab at him (if you can forgive the metaphor).

PS to MollyHfan:  I had to choose a different name for this forum as it's always been "molly56" (I've aged) based on a person I knew a bit more like Irene than Molly, who taught me by example how to deal with tough office political environments--except I think she never broke any laws.   At least as far as I know...

Last edited by Sumac60 (July 24, 2012 6:53 pm)

July 24, 2012 7:09 pm  #26

kazza474 wrote:

Sumac60 wrote:

I actually don't see her as a damaged character.  Just misguided at first.  At the awful Christmas scene, you would swear she's been reading love advice from some magazine (Cosmo?) and Holmes (Ms Hudson too) reacts with what you'd expect of such a ludicrous picture.  Ms Hudson, though, being socialized, treats her kindly, but Sherlock isn't going to let it pass and calls her out on every last detail.

Hallelujah, yes!
I don't spend a lot of time 'working out' Molly as in real life someone like that would NOT last long around me. She appears to be a total product of too many copies of Cosmopolitan or similar magazine.
"Dress Like This to Catch Your Man"; "Unrequited Love? Here's 5 Fun Things To Do To Get HIM to Notice You", etc.
So "misguided" is a definitely good description.
The outfit at Xmas was WAY over the top for such a gathering that's for sure.

But he's calling everyone else out too, that evening...he's not suffering anybody's stupidity that night, if it's Watson's lack of staying power in love partners or Lestrade's innocent trust of his wife who is obviously cheating again.  Nobody in the room has the courage to knock his block off but Molly, who though quiveringly, does have the guts to tell him what he just did.  Everyone is resoundingly owed an apology, but she's the only one that gets one.

Yes, there is no singling out of Molly when it comes to Sherlock's observations. But to her credit she IS the only one who basically tells him where to go. Lestrade could have told him to mind his own business. John could have told him that his own lack of 'sense of family' meant he had NO right to make remarks on anyone's else's. And that at least he HAD a track record with woman, unlike Sherlock. Yet neither said a word. They have all seen how Sherlock will analyse a situation with uncanny accuracy but only Molly had the gumption to challenge him anyway.

She's growing, actually.

I would love to see her tell Sherlock to "f-off" in series three, and he'd respect her more for it, I'm sure.  We'll see!

Hmm, so as Sherlock matures in his life, so too do those around him.
I know Molly was popped in with no canon reference, but I am now wondering if there IS a character, male or female that in the canon stories Holmes has a respect for? It wouldn't be a planned thing that there was a similar person, but it would be uncanny to see Molly evolve to that sort of person. Unfortunately offhand, I can think of none.

All in all, thank you. You've at least 'plumped out' this character from the cardboard cut-out, typical low esteemed female that I believed she was & would remain. Unfortunately these 'sympathetic' characters are revered by the masses these days. "The underdog" really is the new sexy for so many. I personally cannot see anything to celebrate in a weak willed character.

Here's the really funny thing, Kazza...

At the party, Sherlock makes fun of Molly for that silly thing about making the lipstick match the wrapping on the gift (I kid you not, I have seen similar techniques lauded in silly women's mags) but then, Sherlock mentally uses the very same technique focusing on the gift from Adler that contains the cell phone.  You see a quick flash of her lips and the red package.  I don't know...I just find this kind of hilarious.  Has he "fallen" for this stupid thing or has Molly just given him a clue?

I don't "get" the way the phone present got there, though.

October 5, 2012 6:22 pm  #27

Sherlock just observes things.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

October 5, 2012 7:43 pm  #28

Hey, the forum's still awake!  Cool, because I watched "Scandal" a while ago and noticed a detail I can't figure out.  When Sherlock is examining the phone under the microscope, we assume it's the real phone, because why else would he be viewing it?  Also he has no reason to lie to Molly when he say's "it's a woman's".  But then when she inadvertently gives him an idea about the address as the password, he turns and goes into the cupboard (or something) curiously marked with the sign for radioactivity, then enters the address in that phone as a possible code, which of course is wrong.  Which phone is the real one now, then?  If he's creating a perfect copy to fool Adler, why look at the copy under the microscope?  And if the real one is under the microscope, why enter the code in the fake?

Or am I just blind and don't remember the scene?

October 5, 2012 8:25 pm  #29

Sumac60 wrote:

Hey, the forum's still awake!  Cool, because I watched "Scandal" a while ago and noticed a detail I can't figure out.  When Sherlock is examining the phone under the microscope, we assume it's the real phone, because why else would he be viewing it?  Also he has no reason to lie to Molly when he say's "it's a woman's".  But then when she inadvertently gives him an idea about the address as the password, he turns and goes into the cupboard (or something) curiously marked with the sign for radioactivity, then enters the address in that phone as a possible code, which of course is wrong.  Which phone is the real one now, then?  If he's creating a perfect copy to fool Adler, why look at the copy under the microscope?  And if the real one is under the microscope, why enter the code in the fake?

LOL...wrong topic; I realize now it's already been figured out...Adler has two phones; of course...in the Scandal in Belgravia thread...

October 13, 2012 7:47 am  #30

Even I don't see Molly's character as "damaged" at all. And neither do I find her "weak-willed"! A person working in a morgue, dissecting bodies can't be weak-willed by any means.
But yes, it seems that she has dedicated a big portion of her life to her studies and work and therefore, she doesn't really know the 'science' of dealing with her emotions. Nevertheless, this girl surely has some guts and self respect for sure. After the insult that she received during the Christmas scene, her behaviour towards Sherlock definitely changed. In TRF, she was more interested in having her lunch than helping Sherlock initially. I don't know whether she's over her crush or not, but in TRF, it seemed that she had decided that she would not hesitate in speaking her mind regardless of what Sherlock says. The way Sherlock never stops once he decides to speak, Molly didn't stop either even after he suggested her indirectly to 'shut up' twice by saying that 'making conversation is not her area'...
I think Molly has understood now that Sherlock would probably never return her feelings so she should just not think in that direction and do anything to impress him.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Look at those cheekbones, I could cut myself slapping that face… would you like me to try?

February 14, 2013 5:54 am  #31

Sumac60 wrote:

Hey, the forum's still awake! Cool, because I watched "Scandal" a while ago and noticed a detail I can't figure out. When Sherlock is examining the phone under the microscope, we assume it's the real phone, because why else would he be viewing it? Also he has no reason to lie to Molly when he say's "it's a woman's". But then when she inadvertently gives him an idea about the address as the password, he turns and goes into the cupboard (or something) curiously marked with the sign for radioactivity, then enters the address in that phone as a possible code, which of course is wrong. Which phone is the real one now, then? If he's creating a perfect copy to fool Adler, why look at the copy under the microscope? And if the real one is under the microscope, why enter the code in the fake?

I believe that he is viewing the phone via digital remote x-ray. The phone is in the x-ray machine. The image is being sent to the lense where he is viewing it. When Molly gives him an idea for the password he opens up the x-ray compartment and fishes the phone out to try out the password. The radiation symbol is there to signify that when the unit is active there is gamma radiation within the compartment, the same way you will see the radiation symbol outside x-ray room doors in a hospital. 

I have not personally used one of the remote digital machines. I work for a small rural hospital that does not have that sort of budget. This kind of unit is really for labratory purposes and would for obvious reason not work on live patients which are the bulk of the people I x-ray. It might be useful for other purposes such as still born fetal images, but I'm sure that it is mostly slotted for forensics work that requires x-ray penetration.

"I may be on the side of the angels,
but don't think for one second that I am one of them."

February 14, 2013 6:01 am  #32

No, these are just examples of how Sherlock manipulates people to do his bidding for him. They all come just before he asks her to do something r get something for him. Oldest trick in the book really; find a soft target and aim for it when needed.
He needs Molly to get what he needs done in the lab. He's not on staff at the hospital, so he has to get favours from somewhere. She is the obvious choice and so easily manipulated as he shows time & time again.
The "I need you" scene is just another of those manipulations really.

I disagree. In the scene in TRF when Sherlock tells Molly that she counts and that he has always trusted her, I saw that as very genuine. At that point he knows what he must do to prepare for the end game and he needs her help to do it. There is no subdefuge like when he compliments her hair to get her to pull out some bodies after their paperwork has gone through. He genuinely trusts her, and he wants her help. The fact that she steadfastly offers that help is not, in my iopinion, due to manipulation on his part. He says to her that if it turned out that he was all she thought he was or even all he though he was, would she still want to help him. He is being very up front and honest with her here, and she still asks him what he needs.

"I may be on the side of the angels,
but don't think for one second that I am one of them."

May 5, 2013 10:27 am  #33

Molly is actually one of my favourite character, straight after John. I think she's adorable and I really like the way she's talking and behaving.She's one of the most genuine character I've ever known. 

Science has not yet taught us if madness is or is not the sublimity of the intelligence.

May 28, 2013 12:38 pm  #34

I have a slightly different opinion about Molly. At first I thought she is made to be the cute girl next door. Somebody to identify with. A perfectly normal young woman, except for working in a morgue.

Then I wondered why Sherlock treats her the way he does or did. He uses her, treats her badly and she doesn't mind. She does enjoy it. She might be a bit masochistic. Sherlock beats the corpse and she asks him out for a coffee. Maybe she sees something in Sherlock that he is not willing to provide. He knows that he needs her sometimes, so he trys not no react in a way he normally would: Expose her sexuality, humiliate her. Maybe he already did that in the past before we meet them in ASiP.

She chooses Jim Moriarty as boyfriend. In his disguise "Jim from IT" he is genuinely a nice guy, but we know that it is just the surface.
What if we also see just the surface of cute Molly?

In the Cristmas scene Molly arrives and Sherlock obviously can't appreciate her at all. I think he can see through her disguise. She looks like a Christmas present herself with the bow in her hair.

In Scandal when Sherlock does the x-ray in the lab: "We all do silly things ".
She might talk about herself. What kind of silly things does she do?

Finally in TRf she is herself for the first time when she talks about her father and offers help. And we get Sherlock being himself, too. They have both finally stopped playing. 

June 16, 2013 11:03 pm  #35

My question about Molly Hooper is - why doesn't she have a title?  She says herself that she does post mortems, which would make her a doctor. She has free range of the morgue and labs - possibly a pathologist?  I know in England, doctors who advance to surgeons are no longer referred to as Dr. but as Mr.  (why?)
In TBB, the paperwork has already gone through - implying that she's signed off on it. 

It seemed during the Christmas scene, she had spoken to everyone, and knew what their plans were -
Lestrad was meeting up with his wife in Doncaster, Sherlock had complained - er mentioned -  that John was going away.  And yet, no one asks her.  She shows up at the morgue for Sherlock to identify The woman woman by "not her face", in an adorkable Christmas sweater, having no plans for herself for Christmas.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Beware of dragons for you are crunchy and go well with ketchup

Dr. Horribles sing along blog
You people all have to learn
This world is going to burn
Burn
(yeah, it’s two r’s. H, O, R, R, yeah right.)
Burn

June 17, 2013 5:58 am  #36

She possibly does have a title, it's just not used.
I think we may have got to Molly's Xmas plans...but the evening was interrupted.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

June 17, 2013 11:56 am  #37

Well, there's really no need for people to call her by her title since they are all well-acquainted.  She would have to be "Dr." to do what she does.

__________________________________________________________________Bigby: Will you shut up?
Colin: Well, maybe if my throat wasn’t so parched, I wouldn’t have to keep talking.
Bigby: Wait, that doesn’t make se-
Coline: Just give me a drink, please.

June 17, 2013 12:03 pm  #38

In Germany you can be a physician/doctor or pathologist without necessaryly having to have the title "Dr."
Depends on the law. In Austria (I presume) you have to do another exam to get the title "Dr." before you can be a lawyer. In Germany that is not the case.
Don't know about the U.K.
Sherlock would say: " What does it (she) need a title for?"

Last edited by Be (June 17, 2013 12:07 pm)

June 17, 2013 12:28 pm  #39

Be wrote:

In Germany you can be a physician/doctor or pathologist without necessaryly having to have the title "Dr."
Depends on the law. In Austria (I presume) you have to do another exam to get the title "Dr." before you can be a lawyer. In Germany that is not the case.
Don't know about the U.K.
Sherlock would say: " What does it (she) need a title for?"

Forensic pathologist:

http://www.rxpgonline.com/article248.html

"All forensic pathologists in the United Kingdom are doctors, that is to say they are medically qualified."

It's very similar to the US.

__________________________________________________________________Bigby: Will you shut up?
Colin: Well, maybe if my throat wasn’t so parched, I wouldn’t have to keep talking.
Bigby: Wait, that doesn’t make se-
Coline: Just give me a drink, please.

June 17, 2013 4:08 pm  #40

Yes but friends/colleagues wouln't necessarily call them 'dr'.

Board footera