BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 22, 2012 9:56 pm  #1

Molly Hooper Fan Club

(I mean the character, although the member here is also pretty neat.)

The character of Molly Hooper is the only regular character created by Moftiss for this series. I think she's great and deserves some love.

I think the moment I started to really adore her was during the scene in the lab in TRF, when she asks Sherlock what's wrong. Loved seeing someone surprise Sherlock -- I think it's the most puzzled I've seen him look in either series.

I also pity her for how tongue-tied she gets around someone she's attracted to. I can totally relate, and wish that just once we could see her comfortable and in her element. (Cutting someone open, perhaps?)

What are your favorite Molly moments? What are her strengths and weaknesses, and why do they make you like her? What's her purpose to the stories?

June 22, 2012 10:13 pm  #2

Re: Molly Hooper Fan Club

My favourite bit is the 'you're a bit like my dad, he's dead...' bit.
I think everyone can relate to trying to express an opinion to someone, getting it utterly wrong and probably insulting them in the process.
Think Molly is a very real person, she shows many people's weaknesses in the most lovely of ways. I mean, if I tried speaking to someone I fancied (haven't reached that stage quite yet!) I'd end up a total wreck aswell!
P.S I think you're pretty neat too, imane!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I was wondering if you'd like to have coffee...
Hmm. I really don't know. Oh, I'm sorry, did I say 'know'? I meant 'care'. I don't really care. 
Douglas Richardson, Cremona

June 22, 2012 10:21 pm  #3

My favorite Molly moment was  the scene with her telling Sherlock how she saw sadness in her dying dad when he thought no one was watching and she saw the same thing in Sherlock.when John was not watching. Then she asked him if he wanted anything and she answered for him "no" out of habit. I think this whole scene showed Sherlock that she had more on the ball than he had ever given her credit for and maybe, just maybe he felt bad for treating her shabbily.

I don't have a lot of favorite Molly moments because mostly she has been grossly underused and we have only seen the meek insecure Molly so far. I hope they expand her going forward and she displays a little more gumption.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Disguise is always a self portrait

June 22, 2012 10:29 pm  #4

It's not a favorite moment, exactly, because I think it's a bit sad. But the way she delivers her "....ok!" lines in SiP is hilarious. The actress is very good.

I also like her unshaken loyalty in TRF: when she repeats "What do you need?" for the second time it says a lot about her strength of character.

I seem to recall that she was originally put in to establish Sherlock's lack of responsiveness to women, but that they liked her performance so much she became a regular. Why? What do you think her character adds that would otherwise be lacking?

June 22, 2012 11:17 pm  #5

I think in the commentary on the DVD they said they had brought her in because they wanted to do the Moriarty playing a gay boyfriend thing. Then she worked out so well that they kept her on. (I could have gotten that all wrong.) Anyway, I'm glad they did. She's adorable. (And so is our Molly Hooper.) I'm also sort of glad they don't overuse her. It leaves us wanting more.

I love those touching scenes as well. Also, her reaction after Sherlock pecks her on the cheek (!) and just then Irene's ringtone sounds. Molly:"That wasn't me!"

June 22, 2012 11:24 pm  #6

imane nikko wrote:

I seem to recall that she was originally put in to establish Sherlock's lack of responsiveness to women, but that they liked her performance so much she became a regular. Why? What do you think her character adds that would otherwise be lacking?

Well, by having an on-going female character, we get to see what is likely Sherlock's common reaction to women.  I mean, if there were just female guest stars, like John's girlfriends, the audience wouldn't know for sure if Sherlock's reactions to them are to the characters themselves or not.  He doesn't care for Sarah and he forgets Jeanette's name (which I find unusual in and of itself but I suppose it's because he deemed it unimportant info).  Is that because of something in those women's personalities?  We don't know if his dislike is specific to them or is a more general dislike or uncomfortable feeling of being around women.  But with Molly, we see over a period of time how he interacts with her and so we get a better, fuller picture of how he treats women.  Molly serves as a mirror of Sherlock's behavior as regards women, I think.  And because we have gotten to know Molly over time, since she is a recurring character, it also gives us greater insight into Sherlock's personality.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.  -- Helen Keller

June 22, 2012 11:36 pm  #7

Sherli Bakerst wrote:

imane nikko wrote:

Well, by having an on-going female character, we get to see what is likely Sherlock's common reaction to women.  I mean, if there were just female guest stars, like John's girlfriends, the audience wouldn't know for sure if Sherlock's reactions to them are to the characters themselves or not.  He doesn't care for Sarah and he forgets Jeanette's name (which I find unusual in and of itself but I suppose it's because he deemed it unimportant info).  Is that because of something in those women's personalities?  We don't know if his dislike is specific to them or is a more general dislike or uncomfortable feeling of being around women.  But with Molly, we see over a period of time how he interacts with her and so we get a better, fuller picture of how he treats women.  Molly serves as a mirror of Sherlock's behavior as regards women, I think.  And because we have gotten to know Molly over time, since she is a recurring character, it also gives us greater insight into Sherlock's personality.

Great observation!

Disguise is always a self portrait

June 23, 2012 12:09 pm  #8

imane nikko wrote:

Good question, great thread!
I somehow think that - at least to begin with - she simply added a female character to a largely male cast. While I personally would not mind such an imbalance  , I know other people who do, and I guess it could have been interpreted as slightly sexist to have the old fashioned "mother figure" of Mrs. Hudson as the only regular woman on the show.

She also offers a clever way for the writers to establish that Sherlock is attractive and fascinating. I realize that most viewers would gather as much from simply looking at him - I definitely would - but it still helps to use an in-universe character to show that not everybody thinks of him as "the freak".

Something I am not quite sure about, though, is the "Jim from IT" thing. Do you think that she actually liked him and wanted to go out with him, or was it just to make Sherlock jealous? When I first watched it, I was sure it was the former, but after watching it again it occurred to me that she really shoves the fact that it is "an office romance" in Sherlock's face, which seems a little out of character.

What do you think?

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"There is no such word as 'impossible' in my dictionary. In fact, everything between 'herring' and 'marmalade' seems to be missing." Dirk Gently

Finally, I have made it to Cipher Expert :-))))) (8.8.2012)

June 23, 2012 1:45 pm  #9

Hi Hypergreenfrog. I felt that she was using Jim from IT, which is ironic really because he is most certainly using her.

June 23, 2012 2:00 pm  #10

Of course, she was trying to use Jim, although she probably liked him well enough. Anyway, it didn't work.

June 28, 2012 9:00 pm  #11

I'm watching season 1 for the second time now and only now I realised how adorable Molly actually is. I love mouths shaped like hers, where the upper lip does that "V" shape if you know what I mean. She just seems so innocent and cuddly. Every time Sherlock neglets her or doesn't pay attention to her like I would, I feel sorry for her. I hope she'll find someone in the course of the series. If she was a real person (easy there girls), I'd totally take her to dinner.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My blog: 3sidestoeverystory.tumblr.com

June 28, 2012 9:09 pm  #12

imane nikko wrote:

It's not a favorite moment, exactly, because I think it's a bit sad. But the way she delivers her "....ok!" lines in SiP is hilarious. The actress is very good.

I also like her unshaken loyalty in TRF: when she repeats "What do you need?" for the second time it says a lot about her strength of character.

Yup, I think that's my favorite Molly moments as well- her two 'OK's" in 'The Study in Pink".

July 15, 2012 10:25 pm  #13

I am fascinated by the Molly character also, and was wondering if some things I saw in the interactions were my own imagination or intentional.  Either way, it makes the viewing fun for myself, if no one else.

It seems like each time Sherlock insults or hurts Molly, it's in a way that unintentionally "frees" her up to be unattached.  The lipstick scene could be just his way of showing he absolutely didn't care, but then why does he turn around and show after she removes it that he noticed and preferred it because it made her mouth "larger"? (LOL, that's what it's for...have we forgotten as women?)  He puts down her contrived relationship with Jim M  and tells her almost angrily she'd best break it off.  It's hurtful but protective as well.  He insults her for planning a romantic evening with an imagined boyfriend at Christmas only to be shocked to find out she's thinking of him. (Hmmmm...why does he care so much who the f she's going out with?)

It's as if these moments are all a very subtle kind of "don't think I care about you but don't be with anyone else either" kind of relationship.  Whether it's intentional or not, it gives a fascinating kind of chemistry between them that is absolutely what you'd expect of the Holmes character.  Also it stays within the "canon" which precludes any romance, and is a perfect setup for the final acceptance of how much he actually trusts and depends upon her.  I'm hoping in the next series we hear the line after the "What do you need?/You" between the two of them.  I'm sure Sherlock would never reveal any deeper feelings, since he's totally unaware that he has any, but it would be fun anyway.

Molly is needed to humanize the Holmes character in a way that--forgive me--improves upon Conan Doyle.  I hope they don't write her out or give her a husband or something, but they very well could since she's an introduced character apart from the originals.

Last edited by Sumac60 (July 15, 2012 10:29 pm)

July 16, 2012 5:12 am  #14

Sumac60 wrote:

The lipstick scene could be just his way of showing he absolutely didn't care, but then why does he turn around and show after she removes it that he noticed and preferred it because it made her mouth "larger"? .

No, these are just examples of how Sherlock manipulates people to do his bidding for him. They all come just before he asks her to do something r get something for him. Oldest trick in the book really; find a soft target and aim for it when needed.
He needs Molly to get what he needs done in the lab. He's not on staff at the hospital, so he has to get favours from somewhere. She is the obvious choice and so easily manipulated as he shows time & time again.
The "I need you" scene is just another of those manipulations really.

Molly is needed to humanize the Holmes character in a way that--forgive me--improves upon Conan Doyle.

Hmm, you will be disappointed in the future.
The Sherlock we are watching now, is NOT the canon Holmes; he is developing into the canon Holmes. The canon Holmes would have been similar to this current Sherlock at some stage, but after learning all about these 'feelings' and such, he files them away and becomes the canon Holmes.
The BBC Sherlock WILL eventually act the same as the canon Holmes. Moffat & Gatiss have always said this.

I daresay as the years roll on, and the series progresses & character matures, so too will the fans & will be more accepting of a canon styled Sherlock. To jump to that final version of Sherlock would be a shock for some fans as they have never gotten to 'know' the final version, the canon Holmes.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

July 17, 2012 1:37 pm  #15

I do love Molly. 

But I see her as a damaged character.  Not only does she take Sherlock's abuse, but she's always coming back for more.  I see low self-esteem, I see someone who will take abuse simply because it is *attention* which is better than being ignored.  She chases after a man who doesn't want her because its safer than a real relationship.  She needs therapy.

I actually see her as a good match for John, if he would ever take the time to notice her.  He's a natural caregiver, which she needs, and they both have something in common--they both love Sherlock.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.fanfiction.net/u/597554/CreamLemon

July 18, 2012 2:26 am  #16

CreamLemon wrote:

I do love Molly. 

But I see her as a damaged character.  Not only does she take Sherlock's abuse, but she's always coming back for more.  I see low self-esteem, I see someone who will take abuse simply because it is *attention* which is better than being ignored.  She chases after a man who doesn't want her because its safer than a real relationship.  She needs therapy.

I actually see her as a good match for John, if he would ever take the time to notice her.  He's a natural caregiver, which she needs, and they both have something in common--they both love Sherlock.

I actually don't see her as a damaged character.  Just misguided at first.  At the awful Christmas scene, you would swear she's been reading love advice from some magazine (Cosmo?) and Holmes (Ms Hudson too) reacts with what you'd expect of such a ludicrous picture.  Ms Hudson, though, being socialized, treats her kindly, but Sherlock isn't going to let it pass and calls her out on every last detail.

But he's calling everyone else out too, that evening...he's not suffering anybody's stupidity that night, if it's Watson's lack of staying power in love partners or Lestrade's innocent trust of his wife who is obviously cheating again.  Nobody in the room has the courage to knock his block off but Molly, who though quiveringly, does have the guts to tell him what he just did.  Everyone is resoundingly owed an apology, but she's the only one that gets one.

She's growing, actually.

I would love to see her tell Sherlock to "f-off" in series three, and he'd respect her more for it, I'm sure.  We'll see!

Last edited by Sumac60 (July 18, 2012 2:26 am)

July 18, 2012 4:48 am  #17

Sumac60 wrote:

I actually don't see her as a damaged character.  Just misguided at first.  At the awful Christmas scene, you would swear she's been reading love advice from some magazine (Cosmo?) and Holmes (Ms Hudson too) reacts with what you'd expect of such a ludicrous picture.  Ms Hudson, though, being socialized, treats her kindly, but Sherlock isn't going to let it pass and calls her out on every last detail.

Hallelujah, yes!
I don't spend a lot of time 'working out' Molly as in real life someone like that would NOT last long around me. She appears to be a total product of too many copies of Cosmopolitan or similar magazine.
"Dress Like This to Catch Your Man"; "Unrequited Love? Here's 5 Fun Things To Do To Get HIM to Notice You", etc.
So "misguided" is a definitely good description.
The outfit at Xmas was WAY over the top for such a gathering that's for sure.

But he's calling everyone else out too, that evening...he's not suffering anybody's stupidity that night, if it's Watson's lack of staying power in love partners or Lestrade's innocent trust of his wife who is obviously cheating again.  Nobody in the room has the courage to knock his block off but Molly, who though quiveringly, does have the guts to tell him what he just did.  Everyone is resoundingly owed an apology, but she's the only one that gets one.

Yes, there is no singling out of Molly when it comes to Sherlock's observations. But to her credit she IS the only one who basically tells him where to go. Lestrade could have told him to mind his own business. John could have told him that his own lack of 'sense of family' meant he had NO right to make remarks on anyone's else's. And that at least he HAD a track record with woman, unlike Sherlock. Yet neither said a word. They have all seen how Sherlock will analyse a situation with uncanny accuracy but only Molly had the gumption to challenge him anyway.

She's growing, actually.

I would love to see her tell Sherlock to "f-off" in series three, and he'd respect her more for it, I'm sure.  We'll see!

Hmm, so as Sherlock matures in his life, so too do those around him.
I know Molly was popped in with no canon reference, but I am now wondering if there IS a character, male or female that in the canon stories Holmes has a respect for? It wouldn't be a planned thing that there was a similar person, but it would be uncanny to see Molly evolve to that sort of person. Unfortunately offhand, I can think of none.

All in all, thank you. You've at least 'plumped out' this character from the cardboard cut-out, typical low esteemed female that I believed she was & would remain. Unfortunately these 'sympathetic' characters are revered by the masses these days. "The underdog" really is the new sexy for so many. I personally cannot see anything to celebrate in a weak willed character.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

July 19, 2012 8:29 pm  #18

Hmm, the only female character in the canon that Holmes has any kind of respect for is Ms Adler, and obviously she's already been used.

I do recall though, there was one young lady who Holmes said something like "I wouldn't let any sister of mine be treated like that" and was quite protective over her, can't remember the specifics off hand, but there are a couple of young female characters who he is relatively sympathetic and kind towards.

I don't think the fandom will object to seeing Sherlock develop into a more canon Holmes, because although it might disappoint the Johnlockers and anyone else who might want to see him in a relationship of any sort, canon Holmes is genuinely a nicer person, more understanding of people's emotions even if he doesn't experience them himself, but generally a pretty cool guy with a balanced sense of right and wrong.

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

July 20, 2012 12:57 am  #19

I love Molly.
Her shyness makes her so sympathetic and easy to relate to.

I really only started noticing her in The Great Game when Sherlock explained to her why Jim from IT was gay. I felt so sorry for her, him hurting her feelings so much without even noticing.
"Why do you have to spoil everything..."

I don't see her as a damaged character either. Yes, she is so so insecure but she doesn't keep coming back to Sherlock because she is masochistic but because, obviously, she has a crush on him. ;) (Okay, that alone might be masochistic because there really is no hope this is every going to work out but... WHO can blame her?)

I think it's also funny how she kept ignoring John during the first season! She's jealous of him because she has known Sherlock for maybe years and then this John fellow comes along and instant best friends... haha.

I hope that in the next season Sherlock treats her better. And that the whole you-do-count thing hasn't made her crush even worse but has rather settled the things between them.

July 20, 2012 7:29 am  #20

She has been placed in the position of confidante whatever Sherlock's motives.

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

Board footera