BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 22, 2012 9:29 am  #1

List of Actors who have played Sherlock Holmes

This is worth posting, not only for the actors who have played Sherlock, but also for the names of films that people may not have realised were Sherlock related. I hadn't known of the cartoons voiced by Peter O'Toole for example. There are films on the list that I had heard of but didn't necessarily connect with Sherlock Holmes. I imagine some are 'loosely based on...'

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_actors_who_have_played_Sherlock_Holmes

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

June 22, 2012 9:33 am  #2

Re: List of Actors who have played Sherlock Holmes

Wow - there are so many more than I realised!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I dislike being outnumbered. It makes for too much stupid in the room

June 22, 2012 9:41 am  #3

Yes I thought so too Wholocked and so many who I didn't associate with the role

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

June 22, 2012 10:36 am  #4

That's quite a lot but they at least forgot one: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Man_Who_Was_Sherlock_Holmes. I think I don't know the film but I've seen pictures and they do very much look like the classic Holmes with deerstalker and pipe. Hans Albers was a very popular German actor who also worked during the Nazi years but always tried to keep his distance from the regime.

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

June 22, 2012 10:36 am  #5

I forgot about Frank Langella. His new tell all book Dropped Names is about him sleeping with everyone of both sexes in Hollywood. It is supposed to be quite racy and name names. I love this blurb from NY Times Book Review:

" In the south of England, on location for "Dracula",  Langella flashes Laurence Olivier through the doorway of their adjoining suites, calling, “Oh professor, see anything you like?"

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/22/books/review/dropped-names-frank-langellas-memoir.html

Have to love Spock playing Holmes too. That must have been classic. My boyfriend is a Trekkie and a Sherlockian so he would have died and went to heaven had he seen that

Disguise is always a self portrait

Board footera