BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 3, 2016 12:39 am  #1901

Re: Free Rants

I think, being a person who doesn't do that, one cannot understand the need to do so. One just cannot understand it because we do not have this negativity in us, which is something we can be happy and glad about.
Let's just make sure we stick to the other habit of saying positive things about people we see.

------------------------------------------------------------
"Love something, and love it deeply."
Andrew Scott

"I don’t care how hypothetical it is, I’m not flying with a live otter in the flight deck."
Captain Martin Crieff

January 3, 2016 10:13 am  #1902

I do sometime see pictures I don't like.
But I would always try an avoid making a personal comment about someone.
Either find something positive about the picture or keep quiet.
The internet is a difficult place to navigate...but so is real life.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 9, 2016 2:44 pm  #1903

There's always someone with something mean to say, I hope you can keep those rude comments from getting you down.

Unfortunately, I've been kind of down this week.  It's not like there haven't been some moments that were OK, but overall I just don't feel too great.  I feel kind of sad, or at least unhappy.  I noticed this happening at the beginning of last semester, and for a while I was worried I was getting depressed.  But then by the end I was kind of better.  And now I feel like it 's starting to happen again now that I'm back at school.  I don't recall this happening as much last year (though perhaps a bit).  Last year I was more excited about my classes.  It's not like this semester's classes seem like they are going to be bad, I just don't feel that zeal for learning (if that's the correct term) that I feel I used to get.  At least, not to the same degree. I don't know what's happening to me.  At home, I was fine, and now I'm back at school and I'm unhappy.  Hopefully I'll feel better later in the semester like last semester, but I wish this wasn't starting to happen again.  What if this happens every semester for the rest of the my life as a student? I don't want that to happen, but it happens without my control...

Last edited by Yitzock (January 9, 2016 2:46 pm)

Clueing for looks.

January 9, 2016 4:32 pm  #1904

If the getting down thing goes on too long or gets any worse, get help before it gets too bad.
Do you have a guidance team at uni?
They might be a help.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 9, 2016 4:57 pm  #1905

I hope that it gets better for you, Yitzock. Do you have pals at uni experiencing something similar maybe? Maybe there's someone close to talk these problems through.

------------------------------------------------------------

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

"If you're not reading the subtext then hell mend you"  -  Steven Moffat
"Love conquers all" Benedict Cumberbatch on Sherlock's and John's relationship
"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

January 9, 2016 5:19 pm  #1906

Oh, Yitzock, I do wish you'll get better. Like BB and mrshouse said, if it doesn't get better or worsens, do see someone to help you. In the meantime, ask your pals at uni for support. I'm sure they could help. You shouldn't be afraid that they judge you or anything.
All the best to you, dear.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'd be lost without my blogger.
"It’s not a ‘gang’ show, it’s the Sherlock and John show. It’s about developing their characters and their relationship, and the characters drawn into their orbit.”  Steven Moffat

January 9, 2016 5:55 pm  #1907

Thank you, everyone, for your words.

To answer your questions, yes we have a guidance team, but I remember last year hearing that they had a long waiting list (under-equipped for the demand, or something), and I don't know if it still is like that.  And there are a few people I like to talk to, but I don't feel incredibly close to anyone here.  Not really.  But maybe I can talk about it with them.

Sometimes I feel less sad than I thought I might have been, and since I felt better last time this happened, I hope that it's the same this time.  Maybe I just need to adjust to being away from home again.  It's annoying that it's not easier, though I suppose others have it harder.

Clueing for looks.

January 9, 2016 5:59 pm  #1908

Oh that guidance team having a long waiting list shouldn't put you off. You should give it a try, you may be surprised

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'd be lost without my blogger.
"It’s not a ‘gang’ show, it’s the Sherlock and John show. It’s about developing their characters and their relationship, and the characters drawn into their orbit.”  Steven Moffat

January 9, 2016 6:03 pm  #1909

And if you don't need them by the time you have your appointment, pass it to the next person. It might be good to be on the list already. Hope you feel better soon! 

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

January 9, 2016 9:09 pm  #1910

Well, I'll see how things go.  Just saying something about it has already made me feel kind of better.

Clueing for looks.

January 9, 2016 9:11 pm  #1911

It's good to talk! 
All the best.

January 10, 2016 1:14 pm  #1912

I really hope you feel better soon Yitzock! I can second what everyone else said, do try to get an appointment. 
It could be stress, sometimes stress hits you without you know it, and it can come with depression symptoms. Take care of yourself, and don't be ashamed to ask for help! 

I have a rant myself. Bloody tooth ache!! I haven't really slept since Wednesday morning... I woke up Wednesday morning having bitten my teeth hard together at night (I probably had a nightmare) and I've been in pain since. It gets worse as night approaches, worst when I try to sleep, and then in the morning it goes down again a while after I've had my coffee. 

I'm not totally sure it's my teeth... it feels like it's my jaw. The pain is radiating to my ear and neck... and according to my mum that whole side of my face seems swollen. 
I had a painful sinus infection some weeks back. It radiated to my eye and cheek; the same that I hit rather hard some months back when I crashed into a wall during a fall. 
So.. yeah. I'm not totally convinced it's actually my tooth... 

I am going to the dentist tomorrow though. I wasn't going to at first, I can barely afford food! My mum has offered to help me with the bill though. This can't go on anymore. I don't even want to think what these pains would be like if I wasn't already taking strong pain relievers for my back. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

January 10, 2016 1:16 pm  #1913

I feel your pain.
I just had some essential work done on my teeth.
It is such an unusual procedure, it had to go to an NHS board before the dentist was even allowed to do it.
But now of course, my insurance company are refusing to reimburse my costs.

January 10, 2016 1:25 pm  #1914

Oh no, I'm sorry to hear! Insurance can be so darn difficult! 

I had two wisdom teeth operated out of my jaw last year and lots of work done on several teeth... I was lucky that the state paid for it because if I hadn't had the operation; not only did I have pains but I could lose all my teeth because there wasn't room for them. 

I could never, ever have paid those procedures on my own 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

January 10, 2016 1:36 pm  #1915

We are certainly lucky to have the UK NHS.
But unfortunately only some treatments are free and only for some people.
Interestingly I had my wisdom teeth removed in hospital, which was certainly free.
I don't know about if you have it done at the dentist.
It may be free.
I can't remember if all extractions are free, but they are certainly cheaper than all of the alternatives: fillings, caps, crowns, veneers etc.

January 10, 2016 1:48 pm  #1916

Here the hospitals don't touch your teeth. When I had my wisdom teeth operated out, a surgeon had to come to the dentist clinic, and was only available on Sundays. 

The price was something like £1000 in total for everything. I nearly had a heart attack when I saw that figure. But when my dentist heard I was on benefits he sent the bill to the state. Normally you're supposed to pay a tiny amount yourself here. But they also paid for that part so I got it all for free. 

I could hope that would be the case this time too... I have even less money now. But well, I'll have to see about it tomorrow. Granted I get an appointment at all, but I'll be calling as soon as they open... 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

#IbelieveInSeries5

January 10, 2016 3:33 pm  #1917

I hope it goes well (or at least, as well as is possible with the situation).

Clueing for looks.

January 11, 2016 7:27 am  #1918

Thank you

I'm going to see my dentist today. I got an appointment... I actually managed to sleep last night though.

But my theory has changed... I think it may be the 3rd wisdom tooth the dental surgeon mentioned.
I had to stop him from removing it because I had only been granted money for the original find of the first two...

Oh joy. Getting the first two out was not all that much fun. The procedure was scary enough on its own and the nurse was a blank girl I went to grade school with who had to be told off by my dentist for not doing her job... and then I got dry socket. Blegh. 

But everything is better than this pain.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

#IbelieveInSeries5

January 11, 2016 3:02 pm  #1919

So, I went to the dentist... apparently one of the teeth they treated months ago got infected, and they had actually expected that. He started treating it today and will finish next week. 

because I waited so long to go it was difficult to sedate the tooth... but in the end he managed... after a lot of tries and tears. 

I have a really nice (and very attractive) dentist... he even took time to wipe my tears away too. He's really careful and you can just see him hurt when you're in pain. 

Sadly he still has the same assistant... ugh. A girl I've gone to school with and who used to be one of the bullies... I don't trust people that easily and I would prefer she of all people stayed out of my mouth. but oh well. 

I'm pain free! I don't know if it's because of the sedation or what... he told me the pain would go away in a few days. But then again I take high doses of pain relief for my back and hip already... so who knows. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

#IbelieveInSeries5

January 11, 2016 4:38 pm  #1920

Glad to hear that presently you are not in any horrible pain. Best wishes for the remainder of your recovery.

Clueing for looks.

Board footera