BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 20, 2012 1:03 pm  #161

Re: Free Rants

Molly Hooper wrote:

Yikes! You wouldn't want to drop a viola! Especially not a 'professional grade' one!
Yes, I play three! Piano, Trumpet/Cornet and Bassoon! I got my cornet from eBay; my trumpet was a hand-me-down from a friend; my Mum bought the piano from my old music teacher and I'm renting my bassoon from the county. So I've never really had the experience of choosing one instrument over another. My sister used to play the violin and we went into some big town (London?) and the shop looked just like that wand one from harry Potter! Violins and Violas are just so beautiful! I mean, it's not particularly romantic, just blasting something out on a trumpet or bassoon, is it?!

The violin shop where I live is pretty cool looking, with lots of windows and frosted glass. I wish it looked like Ollivander's, though, that would be way cooler. My sister used to play both the trumpet and the piano, but now she plays the flute. She quit trumpet pretty quickly. I've always thought the bassoon was a beautiful instrument, much better than the clarinet (which is what I played before), especially because of the double reedy sound.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Initials SH and proud owner of a viola named Watson.

Potential flatmates should know the worst about each other.

It's a three patch problem.

I didn't know; I saw.

August 20, 2012 1:06 pm  #162

hepzibah wrote:

Smoggy, please excuse my ignorance, but do you play the viola like you play the violin by tucking it under your chin? And why the viola instead of the violin?

You do! The difference is that a viola is larger than a violin and is one fifth lower, meaning that a violin has strings E A D G, and a viola has strings A D G C. The lower you get on a viola, the more like a cello and less like a violin it sounds. I chose it because it has a richer, darker sound than the violin. Many violists play the violin, and vice versa, but for now I'm sticking with the viola. Some day I might start learning the violin.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I didn't know; I saw.

August 20, 2012 2:44 pm  #163

No rant - just a picture taken in the place where I've been spending the last eight and a half hours:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

August 20, 2012 8:39 pm  #164

I'm melting!!!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

August 20, 2012 11:50 pm  #165

It's too hot! 

August 21, 2012 6:07 am  #166

This is what I was alluding to:

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

August 21, 2012 8:46 pm  #167

So we are supposed to read your text in this voice? 

August 21, 2012 10:08 pm  #168

I'm melting! Yes in that voice! In my case it was because it was soooooo HOT. Not because I am a witch and someone had thrown water over me. In fact I would probably have been most grateful if someone HAD thrown water over me as it would have cooled me down.

August 23, 2012 2:05 am  #169

I ran seven miles today...ugh. Luckily it was cloudy weather and not full blast UV like it has been for the past week. It was still 91 Fahrenheit. My stomach is pretty much an empty trash compactor now.

I didn't know; I saw.

August 23, 2012 4:52 am  #170

It is starting to cool down here a bit. Off in my horse box today as one of my friends is borrowing it this weekend to take an Arab mare and foal to a show.

August 23, 2012 11:09 am  #171

Mightily p....d off! Got all the way to my friend's and my lorry's on-board computer started blinking and buzzing. Got out and there was hissing. The b.....y air system for the brakes has got a leak! Mechanic cannot come today! Limped it back to where I started. Now my friend cannot borrow it and I have paid out for her to be Insured on it too!! Lord knows how much this will cost to fix!

August 23, 2012 5:26 pm  #172

Oh, Davina, I'm sorry to hear about about your computer and brake air-system.I hope it gets fixed soon and isn't too expensive!

Wow, Smoggy, 7 miles?? I can just about manage1!!! That's really impressive!

I was wondering if you'd like to have coffee...
Hmm. I really don't know. Oh, I'm sorry, did I say 'know'? I meant 'care'. I don't really care. 
Douglas Richardson, Cremona

August 23, 2012 5:32 pm  #173

Mechanic is coming along to tomorrow morning fingers crossed it is something simple...and cheap!

August 24, 2012 1:26 am  #174

Does lorry just mean car? It's one of those British words I can't seem to figure out. I hope it goes well! 

It was 33 degrees Celsius today and most of my school doesn't have air conditioning. It's supposed to be just as hot tomorrow. Perfect 

August 24, 2012 2:02 am  #175

i thot lorry meant ferry.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

August 24, 2012 2:04 am  #176

A lorry is a large, heavy motor vehicle for transporting goods or troops; a truck. So a bit bigger than a standard car.

August 24, 2012 2:10 am  #177

Sorry to hear that, Davina! That would be a disaster where I live because you absolutely can't get around without a car. No public transport whatsoever. I hope that it gets fixed soon.

Molly, I barely managed it myself. It was sweltering, today as well, and I just kept wanting to quit.

That must stink, Arya. My school has fairly good air conditioning but I've been wearing jeans lately (don't ask why) and that makes it about 100x less effective.

I didn't know; I saw.

August 24, 2012 7:25 am  #178

It is indeed a big truck. Luckily I have a car for everyday driving.

Arya! Our next door neighbours' son flew out to the USA, with his dad, yesterday to go to Iowa. He is about to start studying for his degree at Iowa University but he's mostly there because he plays golf and they have a great programme there for golfers.

August 24, 2012 4:05 pm  #179

My rant for today. I can't upload pictures to Photobucket. I tried to upload a tweet about the three words for Sherlock series 3, but an error message came up, so I closed it all down and tried again. Same thing happened. So then I tried to upload a photo that I had uploaded previously so I knew that should work. No luck. I tried looking through the site for an explanation but no luck. If I can't figure out what went wrong I will have to find another site for uploading pictures so I can keep posting pictures of Benny Boy to keep Susi and Britta happy. 

FREE PUSSY RIOT

I wish the real world would just stop hassling me - Rob Thomas

Did I mention that I have a Kindle?

#destroythejoint

August 24, 2012 4:22 pm  #180

Oh, that would be a pitty, hepzibah.
Did you get an "resize error"? Just tried to upload and got this error message. So probably a general Photobucket problem they will hopefully solve soon....

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

Board footera