BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 29, 2012 8:26 pm  #121

Re: Free Rants

Oops. Never mind, then 

Rant:
This may be more of an olympics thing, so sorry if it overlaps a bit ... But in the US, the channel that broadcasts the Olympics (NBC) is keeping all of the 'important' bits for 7 pm or later instead of showing them live. This means that I can barely do anything online all afternoon unless I want to find out what happens.  stupid marketing.

July 29, 2012 8:43 pm  #122

That is downright weird! How odd to have to wait! Especially when you can probably just go on Twiiter and find out results anyway. Poor you.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

July 30, 2012 1:01 am  #123

My olympics rant: Why do they make the female beach volleyballers wear these tiny pieces of cloth? Well yes, I know why but... that's completely sexist and it upsets my everytime.
Give those poor things some clothes!

July 30, 2012 2:10 am  #124

There was some controversy over wether they would get to wear sweatshirts and such, too. Sexist people 

July 30, 2012 8:32 am  #125

Arya wrote:

Oops. Never mind, then  rant: This may be more of an olympics thing, so sorry if it overlaps a bit ... But in the US, the channel that broadcasts the Olympics (NBC) is keeping all of the 'important' bits for 7 pm or later instead of showing them live. This means that I can barely do anything online all afternoon unless I want to find out what happens.  stupid marketing.

Stuff is shown as it happens on other channels, including NBCSports and MSNBC, maybe others. If you go to nbc.com and follow the Olympic schedule prompts, or simply google it, you can find a complete schedule listed according to sport, with what London time it's on and what local time it can be seen on your cable provider.

I've already done this for the equestrian events, which gets very little NBC coverage, and I imagine there will be none in prime time. I have my DVR set up for tomorrow AM from 7-noon on some sports channel way high up on my digital list, something up in the 900s, so I can see the horses tomorrow and I'll keep on top of it in the next several days.

But anyway, you can do that too if you have the time to bother and you care enough. Then you can set up your DVR to record what you care about, to watch it when you have the time. That's one option, anyway. Happy viewing!

July 30, 2012 10:35 am  #126

We don't get quite enough coverage of the equestrian events either here. Sadly I think it's because it is seen as elitist! Lol! As if Olympic sport isn't elitist by defintition! Horse riding in all its forms is actually one of the biggest participation sports here in the UK but there is very little coverage. Rant over...for the moment anyway.

Today is the cross-country stage of the Eventing. At the moment GBR are in third place after the dressage. It starts at 12.30 our time and I am going to search the stations to try and record it.

Tomorrow will be the showjumping stage of the Eventing. I hope the British Team (and the individual riders) will do well. Mary King is a marvel and I've actually met Zara Phillips. She is tiny, very down to earth and a gutsy rider. They have actually 'dummed-down' the cross country course, to make it safer for the wide range of ability of horses and riders in the Olympics. Our top cross-country courses such as Badminton, Blenheim and Gatcombe are too testing.

Next Saturday we are off to watch the showjumping individual qualifiers and team 1st round. Even my son, who has NO time for horses is going to come along...maybe we will convert him! Lol. I know the jumps will be humongous!

Last edited by Davina (July 30, 2012 10:38 am)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

July 30, 2012 5:12 pm  #127

I wish I could see that stuff. I only get basic cable, though, so I don't have NBC sports or anything, so I don't think I can watch it  . Thanks for the tip, though! 

Last edited by Arya (July 30, 2012 5:13 pm)

August 5, 2012 7:40 pm  #128

arya--  check your channels.   MSNBC   should be included in your line up,  in the news section.   I  hope you get it!!   Also  videos online at nbcolympics.com. 

free rants?   OK!!   This is a bit late tho.   I  had a lousy keyboard and a broken mouse.   My  pages here were skipping without me even touching the mouse!!   (I had spilled some water on it the day before)   Oh  I  was so  annoyed!!   I  kept shouting abuse at it.   Yeah.   
Ok  now I have a new keyboard and mouse and everything is fine now.   Byeeee!! 

Although.......WHY   are my  hearing aids not working properly??!!   When I was on vacation,  they both kept telling me it was time to change the battery,  EVEN tho I had replaced the old batteries just the day before!!  this happened two times.  I'm  beginning to really HATE  these aids. And,  when I'm driving,  my  left aid goes down in volume, even tho I'm not touching it.  weird,  huh?   I  hate being deafer than a doorknob.  And these hearing aids are a pain in the royal ears.   Ok  I'm  not royal,  but  one can dream, can't one?

Last edited by sherlockskitty (August 5, 2012 7:41 pm)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

August 6, 2012 5:09 am  #129

All cats consider themselves royal, skitty.
Sorry about the hearing aids... maybe it's your magnetic personality? 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sherlock: "It's this or Cluedo."
John: "Ah, no. We are never playing that again."
Sherlock: "Why not?"
John: "Because it's not actually possible for the victim to have done it, Sherlock!"

August 7, 2012 3:11 am  #130

wait--  I have a magnetic personality?  yeah...that makes sense!!   this left aid especially keeps whistling,  and I am the only one who can hear it!!   (that's good,  because no one else can,  and bad,  because it drives me bonkers)

Note to missing new cell phone----HURRY UP AND GET TO ME!!!!   

Last edited by sherlockskitty (August 10, 2012 5:56 am)

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

August 11, 2012 3:43 pm  #131

Crap, why can't I be really good in one thing in my life??
My day started quite well so this afternoon I decided to make another small sculpture in clay after weeks. Had a nice idea and some energy to do it. Thought about it for a while before getting started so nothing would go wrong.
But (again) it didn't work as I imagined.
So (again) it was all for nothing.
I think I will spend the rest of my holidays reading, this way I can't do anything wrong.
And try not to think about the garden and the house which both don't look as they should.
In one week I go back to my job which I don't love as I should to earn the money which is not as much as it should be.

End of rant.

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

August 11, 2012 6:03 pm  #132

oh  mattlocked I'm terribly sorry you're having a crappy day.   Are you adding too much water to your clay mixture?  Mind you I know next to nothing about sculpture but I have seen it done. 

And isn't that the rottenest thing? Some of us have jobs we don't like, only cos it's the only job we could GET. 

Guess what?  I've got a messy house,  but it's gonna get HOTTER  here  in a few hours,  and I  don't feel like houseworking.   

Ok  why is the world getting HOTTER suddenly?  Well,  I think it's cos the sun is much closer to the earth than it should be, but I seem to be the only one who thinks that .  Plus,  we've got a 18000 acre fire raging out of control about 50--60 miles away,  and it's smoky  and smelly  outside.  But I feel bad for the people who live closer to it.  It's HOT as Hades!!

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

August 12, 2012 7:38 pm  #133

It's hot here too, very hot! It reached 35 yesterday; this is stuff of my dreams!!

I was wondering if you'd like to have coffee...
Hmm. I really don't know. Oh, I'm sorry, did I say 'know'? I meant 'care'. I don't really care. 
Douglas Richardson, Cremona

August 13, 2012 12:40 am  #134

Mattlocked - One bad day does not make you a bad sculptor (there is ample proof that you are not), but you have my sympathy for your frustration.

We had a record-breakingly hot July, and August did not start out much better, but it finally rained here!!! Hallelujah! I hope the rest of you find some relief, too.

August 13, 2012 3:23 am  #135

My Rant

I joined Pinterest a few weeks ago. For those who don't know, Pinterest is a virtual pinboard/scrapbook where you can display things of interest and have people look and comment. I have a board with some of my favourite books, another with decorating ideas, and a few others. It used to be that you would apply to join then an invite was sent to you. But in the last week they have opened their doors to anyone who wants to join and since then I haven't been able to log on. Too much traffic, I guess. It is frustrating because I was having so much fun and now I'm not! Anyone else having the same problem?

end of rant

edited to say that I seem to have fixed it. I went to their help page, followed some instructions and now have pictures. Not sure what the original problem was.

Last edited by hepzibah (August 13, 2012 5:09 am)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FREE PUSSY RIOT

I wish the real world would just stop hassling me - Rob Thomas

Did I mention that I have a Kindle?

#destroythejoint

August 13, 2012 9:11 am  #136

They promised us summer weather today. It's true. But nobody mentioned the WIND!

August 13, 2012 9:29 am  #137

Wind? There's no wind over here. Nice weather for cycling, I'd say 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

August 13, 2012 9:59 am  #138

Windsurfing. Sailing. Kiteflying.
Definitely not reading.

August 13, 2012 10:27 am  #139

A Kindle is absolutely wind-resistant 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

August 13, 2012 10:37 am  #140

Yes, I will take that one now, I guess.
Just thrown away another half-finished sculpture. Cement this time. Seems no good time for art right now. 

Board footera