BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 28, 2014 6:37 am  #1181

Re: Free Rants

Davina wrote:

You should be given extensions due to extenuating circumstances. Who have you told and asked so far?

I've spoken to my personal tutor, who should be the one to sort things out for me, but she's really not done much. The college is really big, so I don't know about any other support team out there, but I suppose that's really what I need to be doing.

I'm going to go in today and try and get some help.

“Because I’m desperate, that’s why. Because Sherlock Holmes is a great man, and I think one day—if we’re very very lucky—he might even be a good one.”

March 28, 2014 7:27 am  #1182

Yep. You need to find out the student support network and there must be a senior tutor on the pastoral side to see about it. It may be (should be) in the college handbook or on their website. Good luck!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

March 28, 2014 10:20 am  #1183

I hope they understand your situation, Rebecca! Good luck with everything today!

I'm just slightly nervous about seeing my doctor about my back today. silly me is really close to call and cancel my appointment despite the fact that I'm still very much in pain. 

Last edited by This Is The Phantom Lady (March 28, 2014 10:20 am)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

March 28, 2014 10:30 am  #1184

Don't cancel it Phantom Lady. You will be pleased that you have gone after it is all over. I keep my fingers crossed it goes smoothly. What time is your appoitment?

Last edited by belis (March 28, 2014 1:26 pm)

March 28, 2014 10:56 am  #1185

It's in less than two hours, I am going, especially when I have to start working for the Eurovision in exactly a month so I need to get this sorted. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

March 29, 2014 5:46 pm  #1186

Not a rant, just wanted to say that I survived visiting my doctor. I actually left his office giggling! 

On a serious note I'm going to need an X-ray of my back, which should show what the problem is... and I'm going to be treated accordingly. I've been perscribed some 'safe' pain mediciation. I think there might be a note in my file or something as I've told my therapist about my issues... 

The reason I left his office giggling? I'm 24 years old and have just been informed that I'm double jointed! And it's all of my joints... xD! All of my life I've been freaked out by people bending their joints in weird ways, as in almost getting sick looking at it. 

And I'm one of them... well! A whole new world has opened for me! 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

#IbelieveInSeries5

March 29, 2014 8:31 pm  #1187

Glad to hear that your appoitment went well. I hope the pain killers are doing the trick.

March 29, 2014 8:44 pm  #1188

I will know when I pick them up on Monday!

Oh... I just remembered I have to figure out when I need to start taking my iron tablets again. I love being a blood donor, but with a low iron count it's a bit of a bother to be honest... last time I gave blood I had liver for my dinner the night before, had taken iron tablets for weeks and my iron count only just made the mark.

And I still got so ill and faint for the rest of the day. Ugh. 

But I really do want to give blood, I have the perfect blood type, O Negative, meaning everyone can use my blood... and selfishly, I can only recieve my own type... so that's why I donate. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

#IbelieveInSeries5

March 29, 2014 9:06 pm  #1189

It's possible to estimate but only if we know what your Hb is to start with. Generally speaking you can expect your Hb to go up by around 0.5g per week with iron supplements providing that there are no significant ongoing loses.

Eating a meal rich in iron the day before will make no difference as it takes some time for the extra iron to be incorporated into new red blood cells. Making sure you drink plenty of fluid on the day is the key. It will help to bring the circulating volume back to normal.

I always end up feeling faint when I give blood but it’s because I am such wimp when it comes to needles. lol

March 29, 2014 9:16 pm  #1190

Well I've started taking the tablets now, I have 20 left of the massive stack the nurse gave me last time... (My appointment is on the 15th). Last time my Hb was 7,9 which as I understood it was an all right number, When I first showed up it was barely over 7... 

I guess my low values comes from the fact that I tend to forget proteins in my diet (Sometimes I forget to eat at all now, plus meat is really expensive when I can barely pay the rent). 

I was drinking lots and lots of water and yet I nearly fainted. I'm no whimp arount needles and blood at all,.. 

Ugh, and now I'm starting to worry if the anti acid tablets I've been prescribed with my pain meds might ban me from donating. Ugh I wish there was more clear information about this! 

Oh well, at least I know it's all for a greater cause. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

#IbelieveInSeries5

March 29, 2014 9:37 pm  #1191

I assume that they measure Hb in mmol/L where you live. If so 7.5 is the lower limit of normal for woman. At first I thought my God that's low. In UK we measure Hb in g/dL and 8 is a cut off for transfusion. lol

Lentils, green veg, dried fruid and eggs are good sources of iron. You also need vitamin C for the iron to absorb so fruit juice with a meal helps.

The rules wary from country to country. In the UK there are few medications that disqualify you as a blood donor and PPIs OK (I presume you were prescribed omeprazole or similar).

March 29, 2014 9:43 pm  #1192

Yup, it's in mmol/L! Sorry for the confusion! 

All of those food items are a bit pricey for me to be honest, my family do send me home with some food though. But I generally live off of pasta, rice or oats with milk. Sometimes a bit of cheese... Ugh, I hate being this poor sometimes; I'd love a better diet! 

I finally, after a lot of searching on the net found out that the anti acids are fine, if I don't take them 24 hours before donating, the same goes for the pain killers... So it'll be fine! Just the iron count left to worry about. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

#IbelieveInSeries5

March 29, 2014 10:38 pm  #1193

If you lived in UK I would recommend baked beans. Rich in iron and cheap as dirt. That's what students survive on. I couldn't even look at them for some time after graduation but now back on the menu. lol

Milk is quite nutritious but it has no iron and is also rich in calcium. Calcium and iron compete with each other for absorption. Oatmeal has quite a bit of iron in it but if you have it with milk it minimises the absorption. If you use brown rice that's much better. It can be expensive but sometimes you can get it cheap. I buy mine from a wholesaler in large sacks. They don't go off so it's OK to buy in bulk and it works out much cheaper.

A bit of a silly idea maybe but have you considered growing your own? Things like parsley and bean sprouts are high in iron and you can cultivate them on a windowsill. I get a some of my veg from a co-op allotment. If you do your share of gardening you get free produce. I can afford to buy it but I find it quite satisfying to see something grow and to contribute to it. Plus it tends to taste batter then supermarket stuff.

March 30, 2014 8:15 am  #1194

I guess I'll have to learn to love Baked beans... I have to admit I really don't like the taste and texture... but well yes sometimes you have to learn to eat stuff you don't like. 

I always loved the thought of growing your own, my mother has always had a well stocked garden and green house and there was nothing better than picking your own cucumber in the garden. Sadly my flat is horrible for anything living (I've informed people not to give me living flowers). Everything dies in here in a few days because of the bad indoor climate here... I don't know if it's the small size of my flat. (it's 36 square meters). So that wouldn't work sadly. And sadly there's no landshare things around here I know of. 

My luck is that my family always sends me home with what they can spare (although sometimes I decline). 

At least I'm losing weight because of the situation! I've suffered from BED since I was a little girl and it means I've put on a lot of weight, and with the help from my obsession with Ben as well I'm almost all out of that! So it's not all bad! 

It's just making me miserable that I have the cheapest flat in town and yet I can barely pay my rent being on benefits. How are other people meant to cope? 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

#IbelieveInSeries5

March 30, 2014 9:05 am  #1195

This Is The Phantom Lady wrote:

It's just making me miserable that I have the cheapest flat in town and yet I can barely pay my rent being on benefits. How are other people meant to cope? 

I can empathise with your situation. Going through med school in the UK was a bit of a struggle for me as I couldn't get a student loan coming from an EU country. I had a part time job but there are only that many hours that you can do whilst studying full time so I was always pretty skint. I think the saving grace was the fact that I always shared the house. Makes rent cheaper and there is a bonus of sharing a lot of other expences.

The food poverty is getting worse in the UK. Goverment is reforming benefit system at the moment any people find themselves short and relay on foodbanks and other community projects. That's one of the reasons why there is the land share although the initial aim of it when it started a couple of years ago was to get people with mental health problems out of the house and exercising in fresh air. The veg was a 'side effect'. Now a lot of people benfit from what is grown.

My rant for today (aside of state of UK economy and the benefit's system) is clocks moving forward. I'm off but my partner was up preparing for an early shift and creating ruckus. I'm going to struggle to get up tomorrow at what will feel like 05:00 am.

March 30, 2014 9:26 am  #1196

And yet while there's just been given a raise to a group of politicians here they are complaining that they give out too much in benefits... I just hope I find a job soon. The job centers just rub me off the wrong way. They adviced me to take the education I did; which turns out to have no jobs at the end of it; as no one knows what the heck a Healthcare Service Secretary is. And when I'm back on benefits after doing really well in school... well they go and forget about me. (They are supposed to offer everyone under 30 with an education a job or a placement after 6 weeks). I was offered neither. In fact they didn't even notice I was there despite me showing up every day, first one there and the last one to leave... I think I've been at home for about a month now with absolutely nothing to do! 

Oh well, ranting about that doesn't change things.

Ugh, Daylight savings always mess with me. (Especially being dyscalculic which means I already struggle with time). 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

#IbelieveInSeries5

March 30, 2014 9:31 am  #1197

I'm knackeerd, but then I always am...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

March 30, 2014 9:54 am  #1198

My internal body clock is totaly messed up. First I did a lot of night shifts and now there is the daylight saving thing. I should be back to normal in a couple of days, until then there is coffee. lol

Over here a lot of Hospital trusts are trying to save money by cutting down secretarial workforce and using things like electronic dictation with voice recognition or outsourcing work abroad. It doesn't work very well so I hope they will drop those ideas. I'm lucky enough at the moment to have access to a real person that I can actualy talk to face to face.

I'm a bit conflicted about our benefits reforms. On one hand I feel that many people who currenlty get 'long term sickness' benefit could be working and it's a good thing that we are looking at it. On the other hand the way the goverment goes about it is very badly organised. The way they assess people is not very good at all and focuses on physical disabilities (although they can't get even get that right, we had a lady in a long tem coma recently decleraed as fit to look for work ). I have lost count of how many people with severe mental health problems we had to admit with a relapse after their benefits were stopped. That's not very cost effective for the tax payer.

March 30, 2014 10:04 am  #1199

It's pretty much the same story over here. Which is really sad. I have a friend who is mentally ill and I was actually happy when she was declared completely unfit for work after college so she didn't have to go through all that! (Despite there sometimes being technical issues meaning she's not getting her benefit on time; which really isn't good for her... and I've helped her a few times, but now I can't do that anymore, sadly). 

I know at the hospital where I did my training they were also doing the digital voice recording thing but they still held on to the real secretaries. (Especially because they had to read through the faulty transcripts because the system was just not good enough)... 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

#IbelieveInSeries5

March 30, 2014 11:12 am  #1200

I am generaly very much in favour of helping people with mental health problems back to employment as it's good for you to work. However they need to create jobs first and fight the stigma amongst employers. On paper they have created a lot of retrainign and back to work schemes but how well it all works in practice really depends on the individual job center. As you have experienced yourself by the sound of things.

I have a very strong accent and all those electronic dictation systems struggle to pick up what I'm saying. The better ones can 'learn' and after you work with a programme for a bit it starts to get better but it's quite frustrating. You end up spending ages correcting all the mistakes.

The hospital I worked in before had an electronic swich board. It was horrific. You would ask for something like cardiology and it will say 'Did you ask for cafeteria?'. It would be very comical if it wasn't frustrating. I have ended up having the sort of interactions with the phone as John had with the electronic checkout.

Last edited by belis (March 30, 2014 11:44 am)

Board footera