BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 2, 2014 6:33 pm  #1061

Re: Free Rants

One of the richest men I ever got to know was dressed like he had robbed a cloth donation deposit. And he was one of the finest people I spoke to. (I once worked for a company that makes high end watches - Lange & Söhne)
Certain shop employees should learn how to do their job...

-----------------------------
“Why do you go away? So that you can come back. So that you can see the place you came from with new eyes and extra colors. And the people there see you differently, too. Coming back to where you started is not the same as never leaving.”
Terry Pratchett - A Hat Full of Sky

March 3, 2014 8:43 am  #1062

It´s their loss, I think shop assistants lose a lot of money because they don´t treat their customers well, no matter how they are dressed. When I was in Japan I spent much more in shops because I felt appreciated as a customer, even though I was a student without much to spare and looked like it. I had a hard time re-adjusting to the service-level in Europe.. and often left without buying anything because I was annoyed. It really gets better with age, but I still notice the differences between sloppy days and posh days.. best not to take it personal!

(I´ll also have to admit that if I compare my own reactions to styled-up Sherlock in his 800 £ shoes and 2500 £ coat and all high-end labels to pilot Sherlock with jeans and loose shirt (and later Shezza) I can not really say I´m above all this judging from appearance.. )

@Criosdan: Congratulations to your exam results and get better soon!!

March 3, 2014 11:00 am  #1063

It really is their loss... and well; some shop assistants just treat everyone horribly (Part of why I love being a Mystery Shopper) I get to actually do something about it! More than just boycotting the store...

Ugh, and right now my hearing loss is annoying me! When I'm sick it gets worse and I'm now nearly completely deaf on my left ear. Normally I'm half deaf on that ear and my hearing isn't perfect on the right one either. It's a problem with the pressure in the inner ear and scarring on the eardrum that has gotten worse over the years and I might lose hearing on the left ear completely one day.

Normally I cope okay; sometimes I have a little difficulty picking up on conversations on the telly and I tend to get a bit 'lost' in noisy crowds... I sort of zone out. And sometimes I will hear things wrong. I don't even know how much I actually hear or how much my mind just assumes is what people meant.

Apparently my hearing on my left ear is bad enough to need a hearing aid but since it's only one ear I can't have one!

Well it could be worse... and hopefully I don't turn totally deaf one day; I tried that when I had one of my ear infections and it has installed me with a mortal fear of silence

But the good thing is; I can put my headophones in my right ear; not hear a word stupid people are saying and not seem rude!

Last edited by This Is The Phantom Lady (March 3, 2014 11:14 am)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

March 3, 2014 2:53 pm  #1064

I think this is one of those days where I need less passive aggressiveness and a free hug. *sigh* I'm about to give up on ever trying to do something nice for someone else. All I want to do is open a window and yell the F-word out real loud. (Problem is, I'm at work.)

March 3, 2014 3:01 pm  #1065

I hope this is not about the forum banner...?

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

March 3, 2014 6:59 pm  #1066

TeeJay wrote:

I think this is one of those days where I need less passive aggressiveness and a free hug. *sigh* I'm about to give up on ever trying to do something nice for someone else. All I want to do is open a window and yell the F-word out real loud. (Problem is, I'm at work.)

*One free virtual hug*

Don't give up on doing nice things. Good karma will eventually come back to you, sometimes in most unexpected ways.

Last edited by belis (March 3, 2014 6:59 pm)

March 3, 2014 7:20 pm  #1067

Zatoichi wrote:

(I´ll also have to admit that if I compare my own reactions to styled-up Sherlock in his 800 £ shoes and 2500 £ coat and all high-end labels to pilot Sherlock with jeans and loose shirt (and later Shezza) I can not really say I´m above all this judging from appearance.. )

You know, it is interesting how much of a difference there was.  Although I'm sure Sherlock is/would be well aware of the subtle perceptions people have with that, and dresses 'well' partly to have that advantage.    Insane how much of an everyday RL effect it does… guilty of it myself sometimes (or even what styles I go for, or avoid).

Aw, and Phantom… hope clears up!  I'm well familiar with not hearing well. 

*also passes out virtual hugs*

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

March 3, 2014 8:11 pm  #1068

*Offers TeeJay a virtual hug*

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

March 3, 2014 8:24 pm  #1069

Zatoichi wrote:

Too true. So, to avoid any bias, let's judge him without clothes... 

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

March 3, 2014 9:58 pm  #1070

Thanks for the hugs. I already feel better.

March 4, 2014 2:12 pm  #1071

I've recently just parted from my best friend of 5 years, it being my decision.
Basically, she got a boyfriend and I was pretty much dropped and left out of the picture. I've tried my hardest over the past couple of months for the relationship to stay positive between us both, but it has very much been me putting all the effort in, and her not really bothering.

I've grown so tired over it and finally decided that it would be best that we should go our seperate ways, so I finally built up the confidence to tell her how she had been making me feel and said that it would be best if we parted.
She just accepted, didn't even fight.

So I'm pretty much alone now, but I'm not missing her, because I've finally realised that she wasn't really doing me much good. I feel like I'm getting better in myself, and I'm starting to believe that I'm better off living independently.

“Because I’m desperate, that’s why. Because Sherlock Holmes is a great man, and I think one day—if we’re very very lucky—he might even be a good one.”

March 4, 2014 2:16 pm  #1072

Yes, sometimes it's better to cut strings if you realize that a relationship isn't working for you. I've been there too. One of my best friends from my time as a teen has sort of moved from friend to acquaintance status in recent years. She married and had two children and moved away. While I like her husband well enough, we don't really connect anymore since her life is centered around her family life, and mine is going off on other tangents.

The good news is: It doesn't always have to be like that. My very best friend moved to another country years and years ago, and even though we only see each other twice a year tops, we're still very connected, and every time we meet, it's like we never parted. She married and had a baby boy too, but it hasn't changed anything between us. In fact, I though it was very sweet that when she told me she was pregnant, she also immediately said: But this isn't going to change anything between us. Awww.

March 4, 2014 2:27 pm  #1073

The first thing she told me was that nothing was going to change, but they did. Also, I guess it doesn't help that her boyfriend really doesn't like me..
I never thought I'd see the day though that we'd part because she's been through so much with me, she's very much been my rock, I mean, she knows everything about me, but you could tell that the relationship was slowing slipping as we were going from speaking/texting everyday, to her texting me twice a day, sometimes days apart.

But it amazes me that none of this effects me though, I feel like I'm in a better place now, and I think it's about time that I start thinking of myself, rather than others!!

“Because I’m desperate, that’s why. Because Sherlock Holmes is a great man, and I think one day—if we’re very very lucky—he might even be a good one.”

March 4, 2014 3:10 pm  #1074

I hope you're all right Rebecca! Things like this can be tough but you have to take care of yourself first; it's worse to be the one trying to fight for a friendship with someone who doesn't care... much better to move on! You deserve someone who gives you their time and doesn't put others first! 

... I should do the same with my highschool friend. I've just stopped contacting her and stopped fighting to be honest. We've known each other for 9 years now and I've always been there for her... granted I never told her everything I was going through but I was always the one she came running to when her world broke down... the last few years that has been our only contact. She moved to another part of the country and moved in with her boyfriend. I get a text a few times a year asking me what she should do because she's unhappy with that relationship but can't leave... she doesn't even notice anything that goes on in my life and last time we met at our other friends wedding we didn't even get to talk.

I focus much more on my other friend, my best friend now... I want to cut ties to this friend who doesn't seem to bother about me unless I can help her; but I just keep hoping she'll notice I'm not contacting her. Oh well. I'm so happy I have my best friend! 

Last edited by This Is The Phantom Lady (March 4, 2014 3:12 pm)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

#IbelieveInSeries5

March 4, 2014 3:13 pm  #1075

It does feel a bit weird not having a "best friend", I don't have anyone to call that anymore, but I don't want it to upset me. I should see it as being a good thing, because I can now use the time I spent with her, meeting new people, and paying much more attention to others, and importantly, myself!

March 4, 2014 3:14 pm  #1076

Exactly! Btw, if you need someone to talk to my inbox is open... and I've got way too much time! 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

#IbelieveInSeries5

March 4, 2014 3:16 pm  #1077

Thank you, Phantom! It really means a lot!

March 4, 2014 3:35 pm  #1078

Severing ties can be quite freeing in a way, but of course it's that much harder when it was someone you used to call your best friend. I still consider my friend in the UK my one BFF, but I have a handful of other people that come right below her on that list. And some of these names have changed over the last few years. If you don't completely isolate yourself, you sometimes meet new people who then become very close friends. And that often happens in the most unexpected ways.

Last edited by TeeJay (March 4, 2014 3:36 pm)

March 4, 2014 3:48 pm  #1079

I hope that one day I will get the chance to call someone my best friend, because I must admit, it was nice to have someone there that cared for me, and thought of me in the same way that I thought of them.

March 4, 2014 3:52 pm  #1080

I'm sure you can Rebecca; you're an awesome person! Just don't let yourself be alone; get out there and have fun! You can always meet people! 

... said the sociophobe! 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

#IbelieveInSeries5

Board footera