BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 25, 2014 6:20 am  #1021

Re: Free Rants

I think you have to accept sometimes that when you love a particular show/character/storyline, there will always be others that won't.
For what it's worth, I've noticed that although people have difference of opinion about, say, Mary, on here - I've never noticed any of those disagreements getting personal between posters like it can do in other places.
I know it can be hard if you feel really strongly about something but I think sometimes the key is to remember that a difference in opinion is just that - it's nothing personal and we can't all feel the same way about things.
As Solar says, it WILL die down eventually - no one will want to still be debating the same storyline for two years!

Last edited by Tinks (February 25, 2014 6:21 am)

"And in the end,
The Love you take
Is equal to the Love you make"
                                             The Beatles

February 25, 2014 8:25 am  #1022

Well said Tinks! Well said!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

February 25, 2014 8:43 am  #1023

I applaud the sentiment.
Bit I do feel we will be debating untilt the next series airs...what else do we have to do?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

February 25, 2014 9:36 am  #1024

I feel it's always been about that...in some quarters.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

February 25, 2014 9:37 am  #1025

Swanpride wrote:

It used to be about "they shouldn't have done that"....now it seems to be more about "they should act in certain way or they are not the characters I love anymore".

Oh yes, I'm certainly with you on this. I think what might also be a factor is that the more seasons we get, the more attached we grow to the characters, the more they are shaped and refined, and the more we expect them to conform to certain behavioural patterns. Thus we get more annoyed if they don't act like they've been pushed towards in previous seasons. I understand that sentiment too, but sometimes people forget that, even though they're TV characters, they must still be allowed to make mistakes. Otherwise we'll end up with a show full of Mary Sues, and that would become very boring very fast.

February 25, 2014 9:40 am  #1026

Plus the characters have to be allowed to develop.

February 25, 2014 5:40 pm  #1027

To try and be fair.
I don't know if it's deliberate trolling,
Possibly people just have very strong feelings...
But much of the time we are talking about fictional characters and somebody else's vision of them.
I often have questions over The Vision, but I hope I always acknowledge that BBC Sherlock is not my vision and nor should it be!

February 25, 2014 5:49 pm  #1028

I do not see any deliberate trolling here but people who get very passionate about their opinions regarding certain characters. Of course there is not black and white in the show and that is what makes it interesting.
I have no problems whatsoever with admitting that Sherlock's behaviour towards John in HoB is questionable or that John maybe should have noted Sherlock's condition in HLV or that Mary can be a funny and lovely person and helped John when he was at his lowest. 
What I do not like, however, is people getting worked up about this and not accepting others' views. And that has changed IMO, not with everyone, not in every thread, but often enough. And when people admit that they think twice before posting because they fear bad reactions this is a bit not good.

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

February 25, 2014 8:47 pm  #1029

You should be true to yourself.
I got into all kinds of bother on my first forum, beacuse I mercilessly slated Sally.
But I did kind of recant for season 2 and really, we've hardly seen her much in season 3...
But I was prepared to admit when I'd been wrong.
Though I accept disliking a character is totally different to saying somebody is acting out of character.
I do have issues with that though, do characters have to be 2 dimensional and stereotypical?

Last edited by besleybean (February 25, 2014 8:48 pm)

February 25, 2014 8:47 pm  #1030

But you do not have to take this position. I really do not understand the problem. Why is it so difficult to look at the flaws and the good attributes of the characters? Why does there have to be a bashing or praising and nothing in between? I really do not get it. 
They are trying to create multi-dimensional characters with good and bad characteristics. And most of them are black and grey and white at the same time. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

February 25, 2014 8:50 pm  #1031

And also, we could have the biggest storyline/character twists ever known to man coming up...we don't know, it's all speculation.

February 25, 2014 9:14 pm  #1032

Ah well, there's the thing...I was convinced Sally was in with Moriarty after series 1...

February 25, 2014 9:38 pm  #1033

Not so much that, just was a bit bigoted towards her and not on grounds of gender or race...not something I am very proud of.
I found her an enigma and was trying to make sense of her.
But I think I over analysed and certainly went too far.
Anyhow there was a big fight, my best pal got kicked off the forum and my 2nd best pal left in fury...I mean they defended me!
I stayed, but felt very miffed...
So I've tried to learn from that experience!

Last edited by besleybean (February 26, 2014 9:10 am)

February 26, 2014 8:22 am  #1034

I just got told that I have "an accent" (I work in a telephone based job); normally I'm pretty good. I use a kind of aussie-fied English accent because er... I think it's the most pleasing to the ear. My natural accent is of cause Aussie (not wog-aussie or bogan-aussie; just plain metro-sydney aussie). My accent does slip up when I watch too many American TV shows, it tends to become aussie-fied American but I've been trying to keep it under control at work (not that there's anything wrong with American accent; it's just not my preferred accent at work).

OK point of rant. I am a second generation migrant and am trying very hard to avoid well, sounding like a migrant so, I guess I just overreacted (a bit). I was like "what, I've lived here my whole life (most of it anyway); no one has ever told me that I have 'an accent' and you're telling me now, when I'm older and fallen into a standard speech pattern that will be harder to change?" (I didn't say this to the other person; just thought it).

Yeah okay, I reallly need to get this anti-migrant attitude out of me. I'm like the opposite of a white supremacist; I'm an ethnic inferiorcist.

Last edited by saturnR (February 26, 2014 8:26 am)

February 26, 2014 8:53 am  #1035

I'm still so angry at myself for what I did the other night. I've been so unbelievably stupid and now I'm paying the price...

UGH! But I can't change what I did, and I guess I have to accept that I'm not perfect.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

February 26, 2014 9:11 am  #1036

I've missed something, haven't I?

February 26, 2014 9:35 am  #1037

besleybean wrote:

Not so much that, just was a bit bigoted towards her and not on grounds of gender or race...not something I am very proud of.
I found her an enigma and was trying to make sense of her.
But I think I over analysed and certainly went too far.
Anyhow there was a big fight, my best pal got kicked off the forum and my 2nd best pal left in fury...I mean they defended me!
I stayed, but felt very miffed...
So I've tried to learn from that experience!

I can relate to that. Don't let it get to you. You just expressed your opinion. That's perfectly o.k.
We are just playing around with ideas and theories. They mirror what we are and what we believe at some point in time. You came to your own conclusion for reasons you know yourself.
Uniformity is boring and imo the dissenting opinion is to be valued. No matter whether I think it is right or wrong. Think of the guy with the bobble hat. He was the one who gave the clue to Sherlock to solve that case.

February 26, 2014 10:29 am  #1038

You're right of course. But we should all remember boundaries...I didn't in that instance.
But hopefully I've learned!

Last edited by besleybean (February 26, 2014 10:29 am)

February 26, 2014 10:53 am  #1039

... Why do addictions have to suck so much? Why can something so small take over so much? Just... GAH!

*Chants like Martin from CP* I have control, control is what I have! 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

February 26, 2014 10:59 am  #1040

My addiction's chocolate...though being unwell these last few days, has kept me off it!

Board footera