BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 2, 2013 5:40 pm  #761

Re: Free Rants

Hopefully without drawing any ire (either at missing the mark and/or crude simplification), I will admit I..... really don't get this.   "Let's make a stand/whine like kids about coming to an agreement/force action from the other side by...... keeping our own pay but shutting everything else down so that....."   ...what?  the 'little guy' suffers?   Irritating idiots.  So sorry you're one of those people, Tonnaree... hope it doesn't last long for you guys!

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

October 2, 2013 5:51 pm  #762

I hope for you that everything will get better soon for you and your colleagues Tonnaree... Politicians don't seem to realise that their actions have consequences for people since they will not suffer themselves.

---------------------------------------
Enjoy the silence
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

October 2, 2013 5:59 pm  #763

My husband works for a government contractor (he isn't technically a federal employee, but they work exclusively for the gov't).  They have enough money to pay their employees for another week, maybe two at the most, but after that, he will be sent home, too.  It's bad enough that so many federal employees are sitting at home (and even worse that many are working for free because their job is 'essential'), but if this goes on for too long, private companies will start folding because they need the contract money from the gov't.  This whole thing is ridiculous...and all because a few people are trying to push an ideological agenda instead of a practical one.

__________________________________________________________________Bigby: Will you shut up?
Colin: Well, maybe if my throat wasn’t so parched, I wouldn’t have to keep talking.
Bigby: Wait, that doesn’t make se-
Coline: Just give me a drink, please.

October 2, 2013 10:22 pm  #764

Sorry your husband is stuck in this mess too sj4y.  Even when people get back to work I believe this is going to have far reaching consequences.

Thanks for the support everyone.  This forum is a good place to distract myself for a bit and I am grateful for it.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

October 2, 2013 10:32 pm  #765

Good luck with your situation, tonnaree.  I hope you aren't out of work too long, and that you can somehow get your backpay for it.  Distractions definitely help ^^

__________________________________________________________________Bigby: Will you shut up?
Colin: Well, maybe if my throat wasn’t so parched, I wouldn’t have to keep talking.

October 5, 2013 4:09 pm  #766

I feel for both of you being stuck in the middle of this mess. I have to be honest and say, at first, I didn't get what was going on. But now I've read up on it I'm surprised to say I 'understand' it even less. It's ridiculous! Ordinary people should not have to suffer the consequences.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

'Non Solum Ingenii Verum Etiam Virtutis'

October 5, 2013 4:47 pm  #767

It's definitely dumb :/  But ordinary alway suffer the consequences when politicians play games.

October 5, 2013 9:13 pm  #768

All we can do is sit here and wait and worry while the politicians argue over who has the larger manhood.

Found a great distraction though.  Went to tumblr and searched "nsfw johnlock."  

.Almost melted my brain.  Speaking of MANHOOD.  *giggle*

Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 

October 6, 2013 5:31 am  #769

I feel for you D: That really sucks.

I'm pissed off at my own government at the moment too. People elected a racist, homophobic, ignorant mysoginistic man into government, who doesn't believe in climate change and thinks he can "stop the boats" of refugees to australia, because he's ignorant of why most come to australia.

And since I live in a rural area and on what americans might call welfare, things are only going to get worse because of him. He pisses me off so much but at least my area voted in a new representitive after years of inactivity from the one we already had. (she was just as bad as our new PM, even stating the stolen generation never happened) 

But i feel for you guys right now, I can't imagine our government shutting down, i think theres things in place to stop that. 

October 6, 2013 6:52 am  #770

I have had a very bad few weeks. I work now for a fast food place, for minamum, get no brakes most of the time on my feet all night, got bad knees from a car crash a few years ago, am 55 years old, most of my coworkers are too young to drink, so they spend most of the time they are suposed to be working playing. Costemers act like this is a four star place, I mean come one people this is one of the cheapes fast food places there is, you get what you pay for. We had one gut try to start a fight witrh some one he did not know over a girl, I had to throw him out. Not an easy job I can tell you. My husband and son can not find work yet, so that leaves me to pay the bills. 
On the bright side I have a good shot at geting a better paying , easyer job soon.  
As for the goverment I think Sherlock could best call them what they are. Thank you all for leting me get that  out. Every one of you rock. OOXX

Madwitch 58
The Madwitch of the Midwest

October 6, 2013 7:39 am  #771

Song wrote:

I feel for you D: That really sucks.

I'm pissed off at my own government at the moment too. People elected a racist, homophobic, ignorant mysoginistic man into government, who doesn't believe in climate change and thinks he can "stop the boats" of refugees to australia, because he's ignorant of why most come to australia.

And since I live in a rural area and on what americans might call welfare, things are only going to get worse because of him. He pisses me off so much but at least my area voted in a new representitive after years of inactivity from the one we already had. (she was just as bad as our new PM, even stating the stolen generation never happened) 

But i feel for you guys right now, I can't imagine our government shutting down, i think theres things in place to stop that. 

I agree Song, Australia is embarrassingly regressive at the moment. I reckon Abbott is going to go for working conditions next,  big business would like to see the end of all job security and a completely contracted workforce.

But America is even more crazy, at least we have Medicare and the govt was able to buy back guns. Hope it will all be resolved soon, and that people over there are looking after each other.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"You can always tell a good Chinese place by examining the bottom third of the door handle"

October 6, 2013 12:22 pm  #772

Oh man, were my friends in Tasmania mad after the election.  Lots of vitriol on Facebook that day.

October 6, 2013 1:45 pm  #773

I deeplly admire the way Austrailia handled the gun situation.  I wish we here in the US could be that calm and sensible.

Honorary German  
 -Vaclav Havel 

October 7, 2013 10:13 pm  #774

madwitch58 wrote:

I have had a very bad few weeks. I work now for a fast food place, for minamum, get no brakes most of the time on my feet all night, got bad knees from a car crash a few years ago, am 55 years old, most of my coworkers are too young to drink, so they spend most of the time they are suposed to be working playing. Costemers act like this is a four star place, I mean come one people this is one of the cheapes fast food places there is, you get what you pay for. We had one gut try to start a fight witrh some one he did not know over a girl, I had to throw him out. Not an easy job I can tell you. My husband and son can not find work yet, so that leaves me to pay the bills. 
On the bright side I have a good shot at geting a better paying , easyer job soon.  
As for the goverment I think Sherlock could best call them what they are. Thank you all for leting me get that  out. Every one of you rock. OOXX

I too have spent my fair share of long hours waiting tables at restaurants and people who have never done it cannot imagine the pain you feel in your legs (not to mention your entire body) by the time 4am rolls around and when you finally do get home you end up lying awake in bed in some sort of stupour because you can't 'switch off'.

You are doing really well and I wish you luck in getting a better (and much more deserving) job xx.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

'Non Solum Ingenii Verum Etiam Virtutis'

October 8, 2013 4:11 am  #775

I have some good news. The other day after work , on a whim I when to one of the places I have apps in and I ended up taliing to the hireing manger and I start my new job the 23. I will be makeing 2 $ more an hour and getting more hours. I will not have to deal with the public, and I can pretty much wear what I want. Fienly I can wear shoes that don't kill my feet.

Madwitch 58

October 8, 2013 4:14 am  #776

That really sounds like an improvement, madwitch! So glad for you.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

October 8, 2013 5:35 am  #777

Sounds like the universe is looking after you! Well done madwitch!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"You can always tell a good Chinese place by examining the bottom third of the door handle"

October 8, 2013 2:09 pm  #778

Good luck Madwitch!  Send some of those good vibrations my way!
Things to be grateful for even though I'm on furlough:

My husband works nights so at least he is here during the day to keep me company.

That handful of movie passes we've had been holding on to.

Fall has arrived in the southern states and the cool weather is glorious.

Fresh hot coffee and buttered scones.

Internet connection and Netflix are paid up through the month.     Oh yea, and rent.  

Roof over head, pantry full, family whole and heathy.  That's the most important things covered!

Honorary German  
 -Vaclav Havel 

October 13, 2013 6:40 pm  #779

Sadly the new job turned out to be a bust. They thought I was someone else when they told me I was hired, so now I am out of work . But not for long, I am going to find a job and soon, I will not give up and I will not be draged down. To every one out there I send you all my love and good thoughts. Hnag in there, things only get bad if you let them. And remember no matter how bad you have it there is all ways soem one who has it worse. Hugs and kisses.

Madwitch 58

October 13, 2013 7:06 pm  #780

Take care, madwitch! Sending you best wishes ... 

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

Board footera