BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 20, 2012 7:12 pm  #441

Re: Free Rants

Ah I see. And never say 'just' in relation to your job (you do yourself a disservice, it takes a lot of savvy to work in education these days in any capacity. I personally would be very unnerved stepping into a classroom.) I've had jobs I have hated but with the right words I can make it sound like I'm with the secret service.

For example:
'Educational facility technician'

For my day job I work in the law as part of an in house team as well as offering out my services on a consultancy basis. It's not nearly as glamorous as it sounds... I interview potential clients who contact me and I decide whether it's worth troubling their solicitors over it or just 'kindly declining' their case... an awful lot of people jump straight into litigation over the tiniest inconsequential things. Lots of people just love to scream 'I'm going to sue you!' at the top of their lungs I think  .

I blog about it... but remember my pants (probably much to the relief of my colleagues at work.)

When I'm not doing that I act.

Anyway... Rant:
I completed a days worth of work in about an hour (seeing as I did most of it at 6am) and went back home as I am 'no use to anyone exhausted'... apparently. I went to bed where I have slept like the dead for the last 6 hours. I now feel destroyed and I haven't eaten since about 7am so I should probably go and do that now.

(I hope the world doesn't end tomorrow because if that's the case my last day has been rubbish!)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

'Non Solum Ingenii Verum Etiam Virtutis'

December 20, 2012 7:14 pm  #442

It's not going to.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

December 20, 2012 7:19 pm  #443

besleybean wrote:

It's not going to.

No, it's really not is it. I wonder what date the conspiracy nuts will pick next?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

December 20, 2012 9:47 pm  #444

Don't talk about not sleeping... I almost fall asleep in school lessons... I'm so glad Christmas and holidays are coming up, so I can catch up some sleep...
I too only have to think, not work but the lack of sleep is starting to give me headache... I've never had headache in my life...
Damn... I should be in bed now... I'd say: ooouups...

December 21, 2012 5:46 pm  #445

My sleep schedule has been all wonky too. I used to be able to sleep late on my off day, now I can't. And I used to be able to fall asleep soon after going to bed, now I lay there for about an hour and desperately want to keep sleeping when my alarm goes off. Consequently, I'm not getting enough sleep and it's making me very cranky. Added to it, I have a sinus infection, so I'm all phlegmy and coughing. I'm so tired, I could very easily nap at my desk at work, which probably isn't the best idea.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is a cash and carry world. You pay as you go. Sometimes it's a little. Mostly it's a lot. Sometimes it's all you have.

December 24, 2012 8:35 pm  #446

It is Christams Eve. I have just got back from a trip with my offspring to see my 87 year old father and my sister and her children. My rant? I am coming down with a Canadian cold my husband has brought back with him! Sniff! 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

December 24, 2012 8:44 pm  #447

Hope it doesn't get worse, Davina. What about some hot drink and a hot bath? And then onto the sofa with an orange blanket?

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

December 24, 2012 8:49 pm  #448

SusiGo wrote:

Hope it doesn't get worse, Davina. What about some hot drink and a hot bath? And then onto the sofa with an orange blanket?

...plus a Sherlock dvd. Perfect preferences for a nice little  circulatory collapse.

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

December 24, 2012 8:52 pm  #449

Could be dangerous. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

December 24, 2012 9:23 pm  #450

Hugs to you all you sleep deprived, cold infected people xxx

December 24, 2012 10:52 pm  #451

Thanks Mnemsyne. I'm sure we all appreciate it. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is a cash and carry world. You pay as you go. Sometimes it's a little. Mostly it's a lot. Sometimes it's all you have.

December 24, 2012 11:04 pm  #452

Thank you. Taken cold cure, have tissues and am lying in bed contemplating going downstairs to get a glass of water. Feeling rubbish and really hoping my dad doesn't get it! It's these 'foreign' germs. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

December 25, 2012 4:34 am  #453

Davina wrote:

Thank you. Taken cold cure, have tissues and am lying in bed contemplating going downstairs to get a glass of water. Feeling rubbish and really hoping my dad doesn't get it! It's these 'foreign' germs. 

Make it a large glass of the hottest water you can bear to drink. Trust me, it cures many ails & especially eases cold/flu symptoms.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

December 25, 2012 11:37 am  #454

Thanks Kazza, I am going to try that.

December 25, 2012 2:37 pm  #455

Equi Rant for the day (yes, on Christmas...)

My hand flipping HURTS today. I was in a collision Wednesday - I was on my motorcycle, a car cut me off, and I didn't have space to do anything but scrub a tiny bit of speed with the brake. X-rays say nothing is broken, but the pain and stiffness in my hand is frustrating. It's especially frustrating because I have rheumatoid arthritis, and I'm very, very familiar with this exact sort of pain, but all my ways to lessen this sort of pain don't work, because this is soft tissue / bruising, not joint.

I also have to work today (though the annoyance of that is mitigated by the extra money they give us for working holidays, and by the fact that my family is truly scattered this Christmas so we celebrated early).

And because I'm not good at pouring out too much negativity without something positive to balance it... It is at least a nice day here. It's 70ºF (21ºC) now, and it's only 8:30 AM. It's humid, currently 90% humidity, but that's to be expected. This is my kind of weather, and I may even open the car windows on my way in to work. I need to get the MX-5 working again so I can have true convertible experiences again.

ETA: And now my nice, sunny, warm day has turned into a rainy day, the start of the cold front arriving. While I like a nice summer rain, this will bring cold. At least I have a warm mug of tea and some peppermint cookies.

Last edited by equiraptor (December 25, 2012 4:03 pm)

December 25, 2012 4:09 pm  #456

So sorry to hear about your accident. I guess you tried to cool your hand right away?
Hands hurt so much when being injured -
I hope it wlll get better soon! 

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

December 25, 2012 5:12 pm  #457

Thank you. Unfortunately, coolness makes the arthritis worse, and it's in that hand, so ice isn't really an option. Both the doctor and my physical therapist recommended pressure for brief periods combined with moving the hand around, so that's what I've been doing. The injury is old enough now to benefit from warmth, so I've added that in to the routine. It's frustrating, but it'll heal. 

Oh, and the day has gone sunny again, and the cold front hasn't hit yet. Yay!

December 25, 2012 6:20 pm  #458

Hope you'll be better soon. 

December 25, 2012 9:43 pm  #459

I can suggest trying rubbing arnica cream/gel on the affected area. This helps the bruising come out. Although it should not be apllied to broken skin. You can also apply an ibuprofen gel upon the area. Keeping the affected area raised will also help.

Last edited by Davina (December 25, 2012 9:45 pm)

December 26, 2012 4:52 am  #460

Thanks for the suggestions. The bruising is mostly gone, by now, and I've been taking 800mg ibuprofen internally - I have enough other swelling from the arthritis for that to be worth it. My doc is monitoring me, with those doses and my stomach tolerates it well.

Tomorrow will make one week since the crash. I miss the motorcycle.

Board footera