BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 15, 2012 6:05 pm  #401

Re: Free Rants

I also loved working on the school newspaper. It was one of the few things I truly enjoyed about high school and, I didn't even mind staying late when we had to.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is a cash and carry world. You pay as you go. Sometimes it's a little. Mostly it's a lot. Sometimes it's all you have.

November 18, 2012 8:00 am  #402

On behalf of our neighbours and myself. Husband walked dogs this morning then went out to get Sunday papers leaving the dogs in the garden. Result dogs barking in the garden at 7.15 a.m. on a Sunday morning! Not happy and I bet the neighbours aren't either!! Grrrrrrr!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

November 18, 2012 7:50 pm  #403

Just to round off a crappy day someone has also erased two episodes of a programme I had recorded without asking me! Grrrrrrrr!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

November 18, 2012 10:02 pm  #404

Davina wrote:

On behalf of our neighbours and myself. Husband walked dogs this morning then went out to get Sunday papers leaving the dogs in the garden. Result dogs barking in the garden at 7.15 a.m. on a Sunday morning! Not happy and I bet the neighbours aren't either!! Grrrrrrr!

Yikes! That's the time I get up on workdays, and since I work six days a week, I prize my Sundays very highly, so as much as I love animals I would have been really put out. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is a cash and carry world. You pay as you go. Sometimes it's a little. Mostly it's a lot. Sometimes it's all you have.

November 19, 2012 7:03 am  #405

Whereas I still wake up at work time, regardless if it's weekend, holiday or despite what time I went to bed...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

December 8, 2012 11:24 am  #406

Bloody BBC I-player!!! I was half way through watching a programme about the history of Rome as a centre of religion right back to the foundation of Rome when...zap...it dropped me out of the programme. I got straight back onto the playlist and the programme is no longer available! Fair enough but surely once you are watching it it should keep being available until you have finished watching the blasted thing!! Grrrrrrr! 

December 8, 2012 11:31 am  #407

Which series is that?
I've been watching Rome:  The Eternal City...I saw it on catch up.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

December 8, 2012 11:40 am  #408

I think it might have been that one. I'm going to see if I can get to see it some other way on the TV. It was really interesting. I have always been fascinated with Roman history so this was right up my Appian Way. Just checked and it is back on I-player, it wasn't when I looked yesterday. Maybe it was when they moved it from the 'front page' to the ordinary list.

December 8, 2012 11:42 am  #409

December 9, 2012 3:26 pm  #410

Oh, stupid me! 
I've just knelt on my Kindle (I had forgotten that we both were on the same sofa) - and now its display is broken . I've just been phoning with Amazon customers service and they were very friendly and helpful. Though I said it was my fault and the damage was not a case of warranty they will give me 20%  price reduction on the purchase a new Kindle.
Interesting, how one can get dependant on a device one hadn't even thinking of one year ago...
Anyway, there are always lots of real paper books on my shelves.

John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

December 9, 2012 4:39 pm  #411

Oh no, tobe! That's awful, I'm so sorry! Does that mean you'll have to buy all your books again? It's nice of them to give money off, though...

I was wondering if you'd like to have coffee...
Hmm. I really don't know. Oh, I'm sorry, did I say 'know'? I meant 'care'. I don't really care. 
Douglas Richardson, Cremona

December 9, 2012 4:54 pm  #412

No, fortunately my books aren't lost - they are still waiting for me on my Kindle account at Amazon. And everything else I have on my laptop. Just have to upload them again to my future new Kindle - which will at least take a week until I'll get it.
No-one to blame for it except me.

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

December 12, 2012 9:27 pm  #413

I'm going to accept the offer for a free rant: I saw a woman putting mascara on the other day...while driving. Ok, lipstick is understandable, but EYE MAKEUP???? Anyway, distracted drivers drive me crazy.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Geniuses are often obsessive, and their clarity of intellectual insight can be depressing and isolating: by nature geniuses march to a different drum." - Ron Bracey

December 12, 2012 9:53 pm  #414

horserider99 wrote:

I'm going to accept the offer for a free rant: I saw a woman putting mascara on the other day...while driving. Ok, lipstick is understandable, but EYE MAKEUP???? Anyway, distracted drivers drive me crazy.

Bit not good.

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

December 14, 2012 3:33 pm  #415

horserider99 wrote:

Hey... that woman made it... combined 2 things I hate... Overly fetish for make up and stupidity while driving (I saw them eating and telephoning and even reading once... you know, the book on the steering wheel -.-)

December 14, 2012 3:42 pm  #416

tobeornot221b wrote:

Oh, stupid me! 
I've just knelt on my Kindle (I had forgotten that we both were on the same sofa) - and now its display is broken . I've just been phoning with Amazon customers service and they were very friendly and helpful. Though I said it was my fault and the damage was not a case of warranty they will give me 20%  price reduction on the purchase a new Kindle.
Interesting, how one can get dependant on a device one hadn't even thinking of one year ago...
Anyway, there are always lots of real paper books on my shelves.

Which Kindle did you have? I have the Kindle Touch and love it, though I wouldn't mind having the new Paperwhite for night reading. My only wish is that the touchscreen could be turned off, as I tend to fall asleep reading, and my thumb will fall on the screen and advance to another page/chapter...

"Perfectly sound analysis. I was hoping you would go a little deeper."

December 14, 2012 3:54 pm  #417

I don't have the Kindle Touch - there wasn't that model one year ago when I got it for Christmas. Im satisfied with it - only sometimes I would mix it up with my smart phone and touch the screen, wondering why nothing will be happening...

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

December 14, 2012 4:30 pm  #418

Tantalus wrote:

Which Kindle did you have? I have the Kindle Touch and love it, though I wouldn't mind having the new Paperwhite for night reading. My only wish is that the touchscreen could be turned off, as I tend to fall asleep reading, and my thumb will fall on the screen and advance to another page/chapter...

That is for the real book feeling!    When I fall asleep and my book falls down, I am in another chapter the next morning, too! 

I wonder about the Paperwhite. I thought the "normal" Kindle is just perfect because it is not illumined  - which is better for the eyes and the battery....??

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

December 14, 2012 4:34 pm  #419

Honestly, I haven't seen the Paperwhite. But, I've seen the similar Nook. The light isn't part of the e-ink display, so when you turn it off, the screen still looks like e-ink, which is why I like my Kindle so much. It looks much like a printed page. I assume the Kindle Paperwhite works like the lighted Nook (don't know what it's called...).

"Perfectly sound analysis. I was hoping you would go a little deeper."

December 14, 2012 6:20 pm  #420

Lelli wrote:

horserider99 wrote:

Hey... that woman made it... combined 2 things I hate... Overly fetish for make up and stupidity while driving (I saw them eating and telephoning and even reading once... you know, the book on the steering wheel -.-)

Some friends of mine told me that they saw someone KNITTING while driving. And we wonder why we have accidents....

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Geniuses are often obsessive, and their clarity of intellectual insight can be depressing and isolating: by nature geniuses march to a different drum." - Ron Bracey

Board footera