BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 1, 2012 9:02 pm  #201

Re: Free Rants

And German television is boring - bored, bored, bored. I know why my shelf is full of DVDs. And why I'm a member of this forum.

Hope you're feeling better, Davina. If not, how about a mug of lime blossom tea and sweating it out over night? If it's threatens to become a flu here's my husband's recipe: take a bath, drink a bottle of hot beer and sweat it out in bed. The advantage is you get slightly drowsy although the beer tastes horrible. But it worked on me.   

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

September 1, 2012 9:18 pm  #202

SusiGo wrote:

And German television is boring - bored, bored, bored. I know why my shelf is full of DVDs. And why I'm a member of this forum.

I'm absolutely with you, Susi!
The only reason I've been rather quiet on this forum for the last few days is that I'm pretty deeply absorbed in reading "Performance in a Leading Role". Meanwhile I've reached the twenty something percent mark on my Kindle. And I'm annoyed with myself that I start getting tired although I would rather continue my reading.
(Sleeping is boring!)

Get well soon, Davina. Tell the horses to look after the dogs and vice versa.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

September 1, 2012 9:50 pm  #203

German TV? So it's my turn now?
Boring.
Just these days I was really angry about those so-called crime stories on German tv.......... and there are so much better ones they could show! (Any suggestions? Hm?  )
They always claim they want to have the young audience - while broadcasting shows for grandma and grandpa!

All the best for Davina. I've been freezing a lot today, so......................

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

September 1, 2012 11:06 pm  #204

It's true. Crappy German TV. Today I watched The Hunger Games on DVD with my family instead...
What's interesting, though, is that Sherlock is now going through all the Öffentlich-Rechtlichen (?), apparently. It seems like I discover an epsidode of Sherlock every week in the TV paper..
I don't think the problem is that they're aiming for the wrong age group, though. I consider all the reality TV shows, casting shows etc. as a much bigger problem. They are threatening to take away any intelligence that's left in some poor souls. 

September 2, 2012 3:41 am  #205

tobeornot221b wrote:

SusiGo wrote:

I'm absolutely with you, Susi!
The only reason I've been rather quiet on this forum for the last few days is that I'm pretty deeply absorbed in reading "Performance in a Leading Role". Meanwhile I've reached the twenty something percent mark on my Kindle. And I'm annoyed with myself that I start getting tired although I would rather continue my reading.
(Sleeping is boring!)

Get well soon, Davina. Tell the horses to look after the dogs and vice versa.

Woo! I think "Performance" may be my favorite fanfic ever. I usually avoid AUs but that one sucked me in. You've picked a good one!

September 2, 2012 7:39 am  #206

The over-abundance of casting shows and reality TV shows are also a real scourge with our TV too I'm afraid. Although we do have the occasional brilliant drama, documentary or comedy to brighten our day. Producing TV for the lowest common denominator seems to be a common problem. I know everything cannot be high-brow but it seems a shame for instance that some people take years to work their way up in an industry, for that is what entertainment is, for others to jump into a glorified 'talent show' and leapfrog them. I also think it sends oort completely the wrong message to young people, ino articulate, that somehow you can get there without years of dedication. I will say however that some of the people who appear on these shows have been working their a....s off for years, got nowhere, and are using these as a chance to get noticed.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

September 2, 2012 8:29 am  #207

Davina wrote:

.... I know everything cannot be high-brow but it seems a shame for instance that some people take years to work their way up in an industry, for that is what entertainment is, for others to jump into a glorified 'talent show' and leapfrog them. ....

That's right, Davina, but most of those people are off the screen again after few months. Which again can be of course quite dramatic for them. I feel they have been "misused" and that makes me sad, too.

September 2, 2012 10:27 am  #208

Yes, that is true. They are like sacrificial lambs.

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

September 2, 2012 1:40 pm  #209

The same over here. They are exploited for some months, often make fools of themselves and then they fall into a deep, deep hole. Or they appear again in other cheap shows where they have to cook or go to the jungle camp and eat animals' testicles or whatever. Disgusting, really. I must admit my daughter and I watched the Heidi Klum show where she's looking for "Germany's next topmodel" - none of the girls became really successful.

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

September 2, 2012 1:50 pm  #210

My 16-years-old niece is quite slim (not to say skinny) and she's quite sure she's "fat".
She doesn't eat much, only salad and some bread. Even on her own birthday party she left the best.
We are worried, because this might be also a result of modelshows.
It's "the age" for sure. Same age I was sure I'm fat, too, and when I look at older pics now I realize I've never been as slim as I was then. BUT I didn't go so far to almost stop eating at that time.

September 2, 2012 2:02 pm  #211

Maybe there is a certain danger in these shows. However, when I was 16 or 17 I had such a phase myself where I got very thin and ate almost nothing (which today would be totally impossible for me). We had no modelling shows then but of course there were the images in the fashion magazines. On the other hand the girls I know who suffered or suffer from e.g. anorexia all have problems on a private level. A good friend of mine suffered from anorexia and nearly died. She got better when she moved away from her family and today is a mother of eight. Still slim, though.

September 2, 2012 5:32 pm  #212

Boring German tv:
Soon it's time for the newest "Tatort" after the summer break. This used to be a beloved ritual every sunday evening... But meanwhile..............
I would rather watch Sherlock 1-6 another time than starting with "Tatort" again. 

But ok, I'll be nice and give it another try...... I mean... I once liked it.

Last edited by Mattlocked (September 2, 2012 5:33 pm)

September 2, 2012 5:46 pm  #213

Tonight, I intend to add to the viewer numbers of TGG at 8.15 p.m. here on German TV.
I never watched "Tatort". Except for the famous episode "Reifeprüfung" back in the Seventies.

John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

September 2, 2012 5:53 pm  #214

I'm sure hubby won't agree with TGG tonight...
(First I read "TKKG"....childish tobe!  lol)

September 2, 2012 6:54 pm  #215

My USA tv  is boring boring too.   My  cat threw up again....she does this almost every day,  I dunno why.   

My  little cell phone  isn't working out for me like I want it to....and I'm  stuck with it for the next two  years!!!   The captel system they have for android OS  just doesn't work well--  my  friends all say  my  voice breaks up  they cannot  understand me.  What if I'm stranded,  in an area where there's no data connection,  and I  can't cal;l,  huh?  what  if captel DOES work,  but the person on the other end can't understand me?  huh?  what then? And the battery  still goes down fast,  even tho I've had it replaced once.  Also  the sprint towers are faulty in some areas.  The ONLY  thing I  like  abt that phone is I can surf the net,  email,  and text, and download books on it.  No  one to text with tho.  and triple AAA  doesn't do texting,  neither does doctors office.   yes,  the sprint company  KNOWS  abt all this,  and we'll just have to wait and see.   If  I cancelled my service now I'd have to pay THEM  at least 300 US bucks.   They   didn't  give me enuf  time to experiment with this phone.   

Not fair,  huh?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

September 3, 2012 6:01 pm  #216

I have a random ranty-rant. Neighbor in the next apartment has, apparently, been having a solo dance party since 0930. I work third shift. I have been awake since yesterday (Sunday) at 1830. Um, sorry guy but while I like my beats fast and my bass down low, I just don't feel like droppin' it like it's hot until I get some sleep. For CRYING OUT LOUD. AUGH! SHOUTY RANT!

It's Labor Day here in the US. National holiday, and the unofficial end of summer. So basically we're a nation of honey badgers who don't give a sh*t. <---hopefully someone else understands that reference.

***********************************************************************************************************************
In a world of locked rooms, the man with the key is king. And honey...you should see me in a crown...

September 3, 2012 6:03 pm  #217

Check your avatar and you'll know what to do! 

September 3, 2012 6:10 pm  #218

Skin him and make him into shoes. After I get some sleep.

***********************************************************************************************************************
In a world of locked rooms, the man with the key is king. And honey...you should see me in a crown...

September 3, 2012 6:14 pm  #219

LOL  I was thinking about headphones / earplugs actually. But like your idea, too.

September 3, 2012 6:19 pm  #220

I did the earbuds already; can still hear it. But I did it without music or anything. Oops, guess I'll have to watch something on my computer. Now I wonder what I could watch. I wonderrrr....

Piss on it; I'm having a beer.

Last edited by Banbha (September 3, 2012 6:20 pm)

Board footera