BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 17, 2016 9:24 am  #2061

Re: Free Rants

Oh. I hope it's not broken though. That hurts like hell. In any case, get well soon, dear.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'd be lost without my blogger.
"It’s not a ‘gang’ show, it’s the Sherlock and John show. It’s about developing their characters and their relationship, and the characters drawn into their orbit.”  Steven Moffat

February 17, 2016 1:20 pm  #2062

Just got back... no broken bones... but still it hurts... 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

February 17, 2016 5:02 pm  #2063

Muscle damage can be more sore than a break!
Take Care.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

February 17, 2016 10:12 pm  #2064

Oh, Phantom, I´m sorry to hear that! 
Get well soon.

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

February 18, 2016 8:49 am  #2065

Thanks! I think it needs rest... I keep trying to type and do pretty much everything else with that hand out of habit... *sigh* 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

February 18, 2016 9:19 am  #2066

Ouch, this sucks. 
Get well soon, Phantom, hope you have proper pain medication.

------------------------------------------------------------

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

"If you're not reading the subtext then hell mend you"  -  Steven Moffat
"Love conquers all" Benedict Cumberbatch on Sherlock's and John's relationship
"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

February 18, 2016 9:35 am  #2067

Luckily I do... I take lots of pain relief daily for my chronic back and hip pains, so that's something! 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

#IbelieveInSeries5

February 25, 2016 1:01 pm  #2068

GAH!

I really want to write on my Adler fic... but this stupid sprained wrist hurts so bad and I can only use 10 finger typing. Bleh. 

(I shouldn't even be typing here I guess)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

#IbelieveInSeries5

March 2, 2016 12:21 am  #2069

I hope your wrist is healing well, Phantom.

I'm having my own little medical annoyance of sorts.  I went to the doctor for a checkup today and I found out my blood pressure is a little high.  At some point during the appointment my doctor said that if after the blood test we still need to check stuff out we'd do an ultrasound to check things.  At the end of my appointment she gave me a sheet to go to the lab to do a blood test.  When I got home and my mum and I were looking it over to see if I needed to fast beforehand, she noticed it also says I'm supposed to get an ECG....I didn't think I was going to need it at this stage.  And I'm nervous that when I go to the test place they're going to make me do one.  I don't want to.  It seems a bit extreme at this point, and I'm also scared of exposure to the waves....not to mention the only people I know who've had an ECG recently are my grandparents in their 80s. 
I've talked about it with my mum and she made me feel better and said its good for my doctor to know what's normal with me, but having blood pressure that, in my doctor's words, "high for a 19 year-old" makes me feel like an old, sick person.  I know I'm probably overreacting but it feels that way.  This afternoon I've had moments of feeling OK and moments of feeling bad.  It makes me feel like I should be taking better care of myself, that I'm not doing well enough, that I must have done something wrong.  And even if I'm just a person who has a bit higher blood pressure, why me? I know there's no answer to that, it just is, but that's the question that came to mind.  Also, what did I do wrong? and Will there be any bad consequences?
I hope I won't need any medication.  I hope it goes away and is just an effect of this academic year being very stressful for me.  Maybe I just haven't been going for enough walks.  I have missed the walks that I used to take in the wood at the edge of campus...I haven't done any this year because I've felt so stressed and busy.

Last edited by Yitzock (March 2, 2016 12:26 am)

Clueing for looks.

March 2, 2016 7:30 am  #2070

Sorry to hear you're feeling bad, Yitzock. And I'm afraid I can't give you any real advice, because I've always had more of a low blood pressure - probably inherited it from my parents, if this even is something you can inherit.
I hope you can relax a bit about it soon... and even if you need medication, that doesn't mean that you'll always need it. I know people who had to take meds against high blood pressure for a while, and eventually they didn't need it anymore. Apart from that, your doctor said it's "a little high"... maybe she just wants to be on the safe side now and do some more tests.
I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you!

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

March 2, 2016 7:52 am  #2071

I am sorry to hear that, Yitzock. 
I know the tests are scary but it's good that they are doing them in order to find out what's going on. 

High blood pressure can be linked to stress, so who knows, maybe that's all it is? Still it's good to get the tests done, just in case. Your health is important! 
Like Solar said if you do get medication you might not always need it. All women in my family (other than me) have high blood pressure, some of them take medication. My mum mostly need it when she goes through stressful periods. Since retiring she's needed it a lot less.

If yours is only a little high, a diet change and trying to avoid stress might be treatment enough.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

#IbelieveInSeries5

March 2, 2016 8:31 am  #2072

My daughter had to have an ECG recently because she keeps getting episodes of palpitations. It came back normal and she found it a better experience than she had anticipated. I think it is good to have it done if offered. Blood pressure can be stress related but also watch your diet (especially your salt intake). I hope you feel better soon. Incidentally, my daughter is also at University in her final year and has not got to the gym at all due to pressure of academic work and the other job she works part time on campus.

Wishing you all better soon.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

March 2, 2016 2:16 pm  #2073

Thanks, everyone.
I'm still nervous... I'm going to the lab later today so I will see what happens.
I realize there's not much you guys can say or tell me...but it was nice to hear this isn't just an old person problem.

Clueing for looks.

March 2, 2016 3:02 pm  #2074

I keep my fingers crossed for you, Yitzock. If you're checked thoroughly now that is a good thing. There are so many reasons for high blood pressure, lots of them can be treated easily. Try to relax though and and live healthy, light physical exercise and relaxing techniques can already bring an improvement.

Last edited by mrshouse (March 2, 2016 3:05 pm)

"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

March 2, 2016 6:19 pm  #2075

Yoga and meditation can certainly help.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

March 2, 2016 10:24 pm  #2076

Thank you for your advice.

I've had the tests.  My arm is a little sore from the blood test and it stung a little when I was getting it, but everything went fine.  The ECG was fine, too - like the technician told me (twice because I was getting nervous despite believing what she said the first time), it didn't hurt.  The machine didn't even make any noise.  I just lay there waiting for the whole thing to be over.  We talked a bit while she was setting everything up and by the time it actually started I had relaxed more.  The longest part was getting set up.  Now here's hoping the results are fine.

Clueing for looks.

March 3, 2016 8:36 am  #2077

Good to hear, Yitzock. 

March 5, 2016 1:11 am  #2078

Good to hear the tests went okay! 

I am having a bit of a stupid health scare... a month ago I hurt my hand... it's been healing and becoming a sore red scar (yes, the same hand that I sprained). 

Yesterday I woke up, having slept on the hand... *facepalms* but I got a bit of a shock. My scar had turned black. during the day it faded it to purple, today it's dark brown. I assume it accumulated blood or something. I tried googling it and you never want to do that. I found everything from "that's normal" to Keloid scars and infection and necrotic tissue. 

I guess I have to call my doctor Monday morning if the colour doesn't go away by then... but somehow I don't want to. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

#IbelieveInSeries5

March 5, 2016 2:13 am  #2079

Phantom, I know that feeling of searching for answers on the internet  and being freaked out by what I find... I really think it's better not to think about that and to consult the doctor - if it doesn't get better anyway in the meantime :-)  I usually prefer a quick phone call even if the answer might be "it's all fine what's the worry" instead of feeding my brain with yet another thing to worry about :-)

my rant: i sent a nice birthday letter to someone, who I tried starting from scratch again with. I never got a thankyou. I'm torn between thinking he moved and didn't get the letter (good), or thinking it's just the same old thing all over (makes me angry)... I cant make myself believe it's the first... feeling bad for being so negative, but. trust is just not something that comes back easily.

Last edited by Whisky (March 5, 2016 2:19 am)

"It is what it is."

March 5, 2016 2:20 am  #2080

I actually sent the doctor an online message, will be interesting to hear what they reply. I am hoping it's just natural. 

I am sorry to hear about that, though Whisky, I've done that before... nothing good comes out of it. I hope you manage to get some sleep though *hugs* 

I have been tempted to try to find my main bully from school there... but I can't remember his last name, and I think that's a good thing, I think I'd only get upset... and I wouldn't get any pleasure if he's having a bad life, and I think if he's become successful... ugh. 

You should try to distract yourself, fill your head with something else... sometimes when I have trouble sleeping I tell myself little stories with my eyes closed... 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

#IbelieveInSeries5

Board footera