BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 21, 2013 12:20 pm  #81

Re: How will we avoid spoilers on the forum about Season 3?

That seems even more complicated to me. Most forums offer a welcome mail by default.

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

December 21, 2013 12:45 pm  #82

I never imagined how hard this would be.  

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

December 21, 2013 12:49 pm  #83

You can't protect people from themselves.

December 21, 2013 12:57 pm  #84

I confess half of me feels a tad brutal: don't wanna be spoiled, don't visit til you've seen!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

December 22, 2013 9:16 am  #85

Wouldn't it be a lot easier if we just say: As soon as the episode airs in Britain, its contents are no longer considered spoilers? It is a British show after all, and this is a British forum, isn't it?

And there are means of watching the episodes when they are aired in Britain, even when you are not living there (like me).

Don't get me wrong, I think the offer the Boss made was terribly nice, but I feel like we are putting too much efford into ""protecting" people from spoilers after 1/1/14, and by that, we are also putting our mods in a very uncomfortable position.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

December 22, 2013 12:48 pm  #86

I pretty much agree with Schmiezi.  I can only do what works for me.  I may or may not visit the Forum for a few weeks depending on how I feel; and if I do come on, I may or may not visit certain threads.  I'll be sad to give up coming here for a while.  The Forum has been a big part of my life for the last 2 years - but I'll be back eventually and will have fun catching up on all the posts and chiming in with my own thoughts.  I'm a big girl; I can handle this.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And I said "dangerous" and here you are.

You. It's always you. John Watson, you keep me right.

December 22, 2013 1:02 pm  #87

That's the spirit!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

December 22, 2013 1:08 pm  #88

I also don't think it's going to work like that. The mods can't be expected to be online all the time and delete every single pic or comment that might be considered a spoiler for S3. It's been difficult enough already the past few weeks.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He’s got a dog. We go to the pub on weekends. I’ve met his mum and dad …

… and his friends and all his family and I’ve no idea why I’m telling you this.

December 22, 2013 1:09 pm  #89

That was my original idea, Schmiezi and KP. I cannot decide this on my own but the idea of spending my day chasing possible spoilers for weeks is quite appalling, thh. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

December 22, 2013 1:17 pm  #90

Also(going into Sherlock speaking to Mycroft mode), the issues kind of come with being a mod on a fan forum!
Anyhow.  Hope we all enjoy the series when we do see it, can share it best we can and  all make it through to the other side!

December 22, 2013 1:40 pm  #91

This was not meant as a complaint. I just think it will be quite difficult and I cannot do this on my own. And I want to have some fun, too. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

December 22, 2013 1:43 pm  #92

Oh yeah I know and sorry, I wasn't having a go!
We're all just trying to do the best for everybody...
I don't mind  what the group decisions are!

December 22, 2013 1:47 pm  #93

I think Schmiezi raised a very valid point here though: Once the episodes have been aired in the UK , their content can't really be considered to be spoilers anymore, can it? It's all out in the open then, and yes, it definitely is crap that not all of us will be able to see it right away. But nevertheless... it's officially released then and you will find every last detail about it on the internet somewhere only a few minutes later. It's probably illusive that we will be able to keep it away from the forum (or in the repsective threads). And I absolutely see Susi's point... the mods can't be expected to hunt spoilers down for weeks.  

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

December 22, 2013 1:56 pm  #94

Just let me add one fact: When this forum was "born" in February 2012, the largest part of the world hadn't seen series two yet. But no-one here had had the idea of protecting people from spoilers.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

December 22, 2013 2:13 pm  #95

In order to keep everything completey "clean", we would also have to make spoiler-free titles for the actual S3 discussion threads, for example (so nobody can accidentally read a spoiler while scrolling past that part of the forum). Avatars and signatures would constantly have to be checked, and so on. We would also have to agree on what is allowed. Some people might only not want to know about major plot points, others won't even want to see official promo pics. Even a comment that gives away if the ending of an episode was happy or sad might be considered a spoiler.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He’s got a dog. We go to the pub on weekends. I’ve met his mum and dad …

… and his friends and all his family and I’ve no idea why I’m telling you this.

December 22, 2013 2:21 pm  #96

You are entirely right, of course.
Everybody has a different view of what is a spoiler to them!

December 22, 2013 2:28 pm  #97

Personally, I think we are all responsible for what we read.  If we don't want to read anything before we've seen it, it's up to us individually not to go into a place where it might be discussed.  That includes going into spoiler threads before an episode has aired and going into the forum afterwards.  I don't think it should be on the mods to protect people from something they don't want to know, because that varies from person to person and there's no way to be fair to everyone in that case.  Maybe put up a banner at the top saying "Episode 1 has aired and is being discussed" at the top and that gives everyone the knowledge that they can turn away if they wish.  We've always had a big spoiler warning on the spoiler threads, so I think a warning at the top will work.

__________________________________________________________________Bigby: Will you shut up?
Colin: Well, maybe if my throat wasn’t so parched, I wouldn’t have to keep talking.
Bigby: Wait, that doesn’t make se-
Coline: Just give me a drink, please.

December 22, 2013 2:29 pm  #98

Yep.

December 23, 2013 7:44 am  #99

As long as threads are flagged up as having spoilers then folk can decide whether to avoid them.

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

December 23, 2013 8:26 am  #100

Davina wrote:

As long as threads are flagged up as having spoilers then folk can decide whether to avoid them.

That would also mean to flag up the picture threads, the games threads, the the fan fic threads, ...

I agree with sj4's idea to mark the entire forum as "spoiler zone". To me, it seems like the only workable thing to do - and a perfectly legitimate thing, too.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

Board footera