BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 13, 2015 7:22 am  #61

Re: Classic error in this show

nakahara wrote:

Actually, for me it´s the opposite - I find both NCIS and CSI outrageously over the top concerning "the science" portrayed in them. While the occassional use of a microscope in Sherlock never bothered me. Usually because the proceedings in Sherlock really treat microscope as a prop and don´t bother to explain what procedures Sherlock uses the microscope for. So I can believe in front of the screen that he does something veeery scientific there... 

That's just the way I see it. I'm not a casual viewer, but I've always been pretty crap in natural sciences in school, so I don't have a "plausibility problem" at all when I see Sherlock use a microscope. In shows like NCIS or CSI however it quite often feels a bit like "Oh, come ooooon...!" to me. 

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

April 13, 2015 7:29 am  #62

For me, the use of medical science is completely over the top in " House MD". ( Have I ever mentioned that I used to love this show, I don't know if anyone has noticed ) The syndromes might be existing and be described accurately but what always bothered me there is that the examinations are never mentioned, there are suspicions and the patients are treated according to them to proof the diagnosis. Weird. And everybody has an oxygen mask, no matter what. And as soon as infusions and medical treatments are started or stopped there are immediate reactions and results.

------------------------------------------------------------

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

"If you're not reading the subtext then hell mend you"  -  Steven Moffat
"Love conquers all" Benedict Cumberbatch on Sherlock's and John's relationship
"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

April 13, 2015 6:46 pm  #63

mrshouse wrote:

...., there are suspicions and the patients are treated according to them to proof the diagnosis. Weird. ...

Completely OT, but that's pretty much what I experience in real life... (with the vet it's even worse, but then I have a lot more contact with him than with my doctor). Whereas I don't remember it from House (which I love as well, btw, at least the first seasons before they ran out of good medical mysteries and had to fill time with relationships and drug problems). And I do remember my tv magazine filling space by asking an actual M.D. about various hospital series and he didn't have any problem with Dr. House.

April 13, 2015 7:02 pm  #64

Back to Sherlock: What bothers me is not just the science, but also things like John's therapist suggesting he write a blog (why would one want to go public with ones problems? A personal diary, by all means, but a web log????), John doing all this running and jumping in the taxi chase - yes, the limp is psychosomatic - and how does one develop a limp from a shot to the shoulder???? - but John didn't do any jogging in the last months, did he? (btw, when does Sherlock work out?), the wildly fluctuating fighting abilities (Sherlock deals rather elegantly with his Jaria diamond attacker - how does he get rid of the knocked-out guy? - but Sherlock, John and SIG together can't cope with the Golem) - the list is endless...

Last edited by Kittyhawk (April 13, 2015 7:05 pm)

April 13, 2015 7:16 pm  #65

This is the Scandal in Belgravia thread, just saying 

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

April 13, 2015 7:23 pm  #66

Kittyhawk wrote:

Back to Sherlock: What bothers me is not just the science, but also things like John's therapist suggesting he write a blog (why would one want to go public with ones problems? A personal diary, by all means, but a web log????), John doing all this running and jumping in the taxi chase - yes, the limp is psychosomatic - and how does one develop a limp from a shot to the shoulder???? - but John didn't do any jogging in the last months, did he? (btw, when does Sherlock work out?), the wildly fluctuating fighting abilities (Sherlock deals rather elegantly with his Jaria diamond attacker - how does he get rid of the knocked-out guy? - but Sherlock, John and SIG together can't cope with the Golem) - the list is endless...

Some comments about this:

- The psychosomatic limp while being shot in the shoulder was a homage to ACD, who couldn't remember where John was shot and moved it to both leg and shoulder until he gave up and just said it was in one of his "limbs".
- John was a miliary man, it goes without saying he would have been beyond average fit. A few months of quiet life would be a setback, but he would still be in ok shape. Sherlock seems to keep fit through doing exactly those kind of things - fights and chases. 
- Fighting skill isn't allround - being good at close-combat with someone your own size and weight does not mean you can do well with a Golem towering way above you with a whole different level of strength and fighting style (and John would have struggle aiming as he would be afraid of hitting Sherlock).

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

April 13, 2015 8:09 pm  #67

Please - this is actually a thread about one certain error in ASiB, namely the boomerang. Everyone is welcome to open a general thread on errors in the show but this here is for ASiB. Thank you. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

Board footera