BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 21, 2012 7:03 am  #41

Re: Questions about the Episode

Glad you posted this, as it reminded me of some things I was going to say.
Again this refers to the fact that I'm currently reading The Casebook and I read HOUND yesterday.
During John's case notes, he refers to the H.O.U.N.D project as being RUN by Frankland. Now this wasn't quite so, was it?
Also.  The suggestion is that young Henry had hallucinated the hound.  Possibly this is obvious to everybody else, but I hadn't actually realised this.  I just thought it was false memory because of the childhood trauma.
Tho as my hubby has just pointed out, that's why Frankland was wearing a gas mask.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

November 21, 2012 8:09 pm  #42

Well, I watched it without subtitles and some nuances may have slipped me, but why is Frankland up to Harry after all these years? Is his possible recollection a threat to him, did I get it right?

Tout peut arriver dans la vie, et surtout rien.

November 21, 2012 8:18 pm  #43

Yes, Frankland is worried that between Sherlock and the therapist, Henry will realise what really happened and go to the police.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

November 23, 2012 8:41 pm  #44

besleybean wrote:

During John's case notes, he refers to the H.O.U.N.D project as being RUN by Frankland. Now this wasn't quite so, was it?

I noticed that as well! A mistake!

The H.O.U.N.D project was ran by the five people whose names make up the acronym. Frankland was only a young man at the time but always believed in the project and wanted to continue it.

So...I suppose you could say that Frankland was running the H.O.U.N.D project NOW...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

November 23, 2012 8:42 pm  #45

Indeed.

May 31, 2013 10:40 am  #46

This threat has been "dead" for some time so my question might revitalize it:

What is it that they do in Baskerville?
Sherlock asked this question and got no answer. He is curious and so am I.
We see many pipes and valves with hot water steaming out. When Sherlock and John enter Baskerville for the first time there are many sand bags on the ground as if they expect some flooding. And in the background we see a military vehicle with a red cross driving through. Are they preparing for a dangerous experiment and therefore need eventually medical treatment?
When Sherlock and John leave the red cross vehicle can be seen again. Leaving after the experiment is done?
Has Sherlock deduced something about this experiment? Maybe something useful to blackmail Mycroft with to get access into Baskerville again. I negotiated meaning blackmailed?
Was Maycroft even expected to show up in Baskerville to watch the experiment? Sherlocks first question: You were expecting us?

May 31, 2013 10:53 am  #47

We will never know what's exactly happening in Baskerville. Some things aren't to be revealed, they're left to imagination. Baskerville therefore stays a mystery. All we know is that they're doing experiments on genetic research.
Mycroft is not dependent on blackmailing since he basically is the british government and can request access to any base without giving a reason. Mycroft was not expected to show up.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Falling is just like flying, except there’s a more permanent destination."

"Sherlock Holmes is a great man, and I think one day—if we’re very very lucky—he might even be a good one."

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

November 24, 2013 4:27 pm  #48

I was always wondering why Sherlock used the "bet" subject of all things in order to obtain information from Fletcher who wasn't very keen to talk to him at first.
I only saw this recently:

So Sherlock must have deduced that someone with a horse racing magazine in his trouser pocket apparently would respond to "betting" of any kind.
Of course, it worked - but only because John played along to Sherlock's spontaneous idea so well.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

November 24, 2013 4:32 pm  #49

Oh, finally there is something I recognised long before you!
Sherlock took a quite long look at that headline before he started with the bet subject if I remember right.

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

November 24, 2013 4:36 pm  #50

Mattlocked wrote:

Oh, finally there is something I recognised long before you!
Sherlock took a quite long look at that headline before he started with the bet subject if I remember right.

Then, maybe, you also have an idea why John deduced from Sherlock's appearance (covered in blood, with the harpoon)
"You went on the tube like that?"
I can't see an Oyster card...

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

November 24, 2013 4:38 pm  #51

No. Unfortunately I'm not that good.
I didn't even understand the whole harpoon-pig thing really.

November 24, 2013 4:41 pm  #52

Oh, the harpooning-a-pig thing is a reference to the canon story "The Black Peter".
But as for the tube - I have no idea.

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

November 24, 2013 4:42 pm  #53

Just watched that bit again. Sherlock was a bit short of breath (so not just climbed out of a cab) AND John probably didn't hear a cab driving away. Easy peasy. He's obviously a quick learner.
(Well, I tried........... )

November 24, 2013 4:43 pm  #54

Maybe it's the face Sherlock always makes when being forced to use the tube ...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

November 24, 2013 4:44 pm  #55

He could have even walked and not have taken the tube...There is a hole in his sole after all!

Here you are:

Last edited by tobeornot221b (November 24, 2013 4:48 pm)

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

November 24, 2013 4:45 pm  #56

But he's to lazy to walk all the way.

November 24, 2013 7:14 pm  #57

About the bet thing, isn't there one of the canon stories where they stage a bet to get information? I think it's the Blue Carbuncle because of the geese...when I saw the Jeremy Brett version I was like, "Ah!"

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dean - "I'm not happy about it. But I got to move on. So I'm gonna keep doing what we do...while I still can. And I'd like you to be there with me."

Sam - "I'm your brother, Dean, if you ever need to talk about anything with anybody, you got someone right here next to you."

November 24, 2013 7:18 pm  #58

I still don't know most of the canon stories. Shame on me.

September 9, 2014 6:21 pm  #59

Using this thread to ask just a tiny question -
where did John learn morse alphabet? Is it taught in the army, or did he just happen to know it? Anybody know this?
I was wondering because he immediatly recognizes the letters and is really quick about it too. And having learned it myself, I'm sure he must have used it before a few times, or have it really strongly commited to memory to read it as quickly as he does. I always have to put down the whole thing and then slowly fill in the fitting letters.

Ta! (I love it when John says that in the episode...)

Last edited by Whisky (September 9, 2014 6:24 pm)

"It is what it is."

September 9, 2014 6:23 pm  #60

Taught in the army.

Board footera