BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 28, 2012 10:17 am  #121

Re: Discussions on the John and Sherlock relationship

ancientsgate wrote:

Welcome to a fellow Johnlocker! There doesn't seem to be too many of us on the forum, but there are a few dyed-in-the-wool slashers here, for sure. Visit us over on the fanfic topic, where there's a Johnlock thread, if you want.

Thanks! I'm not 100% sure I would call myself a slasher... The best I can explain my feelings is, I don't really picture anything romantic or physical happening between them (even in my own imagination!), but at the same time I definitely don't want either of them to be in a romantic relationship with anyone else. IYKWIM?

However I will definitely visit the Johnlock fic thread, thanks.

I would like a hug, too. Sherlock is not huggy, however.  And John is pissed off at him a lot, so.... *grin* But hey, we can hope.

That's all very true. For it to be plausible, it would have to be superbly written and acted.... good thing the series is full of superb writing and acting. 

August 28, 2012 9:46 pm  #122

Come on...friends DO hug. You don't have to be gay to hug another man...I don't think it's entirely unplausible for Sherlock and John to have some kind of manly embrace, nothing too over the top or dramatic.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

August 28, 2012 11:05 pm  #123

Sherlock Holmes wrote:

Come on...friends DO hug. You don't have to be gay to hug another man...I don't think it's entirely unplausible for Sherlock and John to have some kind of manly embrace, nothing too over the top or dramatic.

Of course men hug each other. Especially men of a certain generation (say, younger than 60 or so-- the old timers, not so much). But we've seen no evidence of physical contact between Sherlock and John-- they hold hands when they have to, running while handcuffed, and that's about it, at least as far as I can remember. But a good old-fashioned smothering bear hug, when John catches sight of Sherlock, back from the dead, would be A-OK with me! You bloody silly boy, I knew it! I mean, I didn't know it, but I knew it! And then he could rear back and pop him one, lol.

Last edited by ancientsgate (August 28, 2012 11:06 pm)

August 29, 2012 7:18 am  #124

And then Sherlock will brush himself down like Jim did in the pool scene. 'Westwood!'

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

August 29, 2012 7:34 am  #125

"Spencer Hart!" 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

August 29, 2012 12:59 pm  #126

Have a heart ( Hart) . Lol

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

August 29, 2012 1:27 pm  #127

Davina wrote:

Have a heart ( Hart) . Lol

Ooh you big ball of cheese, Davina. 

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

August 30, 2012 3:18 am  #128

ancientsgate wrote:

Of course men hug each other. Especially men of a certain generation (say, younger than 60 or so-- the old timers, not so much). But we've seen no evidence of physical contact between Sherlock and John-- they hold hands when they have to, running while handcuffed, and that's about it, at least as far as I can remember. But a good old-fashioned smothering bear hug, when John catches sight of Sherlock, back from the dead, would be A-OK with me! You bloody silly boy, I knew it! I mean, I didn't know it, but I knew it! And then he could rear back and pop him one, lol.

I would love to see a scene like this, it would be both funny and touching at the same time. Keeping my fingers crossed that the writers will somehow know our wishes and write accordingly... 

Last edited by ImaSherlockGirl (August 30, 2012 3:19 am)

********************************************************************************************************

"That's how you get your kicks, isn't it? You risk your life to prove you're clever.
Why would I do that?
Because you're an idiot."

"We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants."

Gwyn eich byd a dymanuf i chwi lawenydd bob amser.

October 5, 2012 6:13 pm  #129

Let me state here that I am firmly of the bromance: perfectly, loving male friendship camp!
But yeah, not only do close male friends generally hug a lot more than our boys...Canon Holmes and Watson are more affectionate.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

November 3, 2012 1:34 am  #130

KeepersPrice wrote:

So it comes down to this for me.  This John and this Sherlock are beautiful together and they are noble together and I want them to be together always, never out of each other's orbit for long. I like them lazing around in 221B, scattering books on the floor, looking over each other's shoulder to read a blog or email, looking over cups of coffee or tea at each other while they discuss the latest case. The only female I want interrupting this domestic tranquility is Mrs. Hudson. I don't picturing them walking down the hallway to the bedroom together - but it pleases me to think that the bedroom door may not be completely locked sometime in the future because, even in my hetero state, there's an exciting sweetness to that concept that just won't entirely leave my giddy female mind.

This sums it up perfectly for me! The ideal Sherlock world. John can step out trying to scare up some female company, but she will always realize she comes second and John will always go home to 221B. The only woman they need is Mrs. Hudson. So, Moffitt's three word clue for series 3 that includes wedding really has me nervous. I know John marries at some point in the books, but it's just too soon for that now.

I'm doing a bit of catch up on this fascinating thread, so forgive me if I end up with multiple posts here. 

Last edited by harleyq (November 3, 2012 1:44 am)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is a cash and carry world. You pay as you go. Sometimes it's a little. Mostly it's a lot. Sometimes it's all you have.

November 3, 2012 1:43 am  #131

KeepersPrice wrote:

Two observations tonight. Going out on the internet in search of all things "Sherlock" I run across so many wonderful stories and observations and discussions on all the topics we talk about here.  Sometimes I think it's all been said before by others more articulate and clever than I will ever be.  And I think to myself why do I stay up late at night to be here and write out my thoughts when so many others have already said them or have better thoughts.  But when I start to type I realize this is something I'm doing for myself.  I need to put my Sherlock thoughts into my own words and get them out there to share.  The obsession is that strong. It may be what a lot of others have said already - but for right here and right now it's my chance to say it in my own way.  So thank you Sherlock Forum for the opportunity.  I'm grateful.)

Now this I can totally relate to. I'm new here and so much has already been said and written, I can hardly bring any great enlightenment to the table and yet I still feel compelled to write down my own thoughts and ideas in my own words or just give props to posts like this one that so eloquently capture my feelings. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is a cash and carry world. You pay as you go. Sometimes it's a little. Mostly it's a lot. Sometimes it's all you have.

November 3, 2012 1:30 pm  #132

John marries whilst Sherlock is 'dead' after the fight with Professor Moriarty at the Reichenbach Falls. So, as far as canon goes this hiatus would be ideal time for him to marry.

November 3, 2012 3:16 pm  #133

Exactly.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

November 3, 2012 6:59 pm  #134

I knew it! And, I am so not happy about it!

Last edited by harleyq (November 3, 2012 7:00 pm)

November 3, 2012 7:00 pm  #135

Davina wrote:

John marries whilst Sherlock is 'dead' after the fight with Professor Moriarty at the Reichenbach Falls. So, as far as canon goes this hiatus would be ideal time for him to marry.

And when Sherlock comes back, that would be the ideal time for the wife to die.  Just sayin'.

November 3, 2012 7:04 pm  #136

Well yes.

November 3, 2012 8:12 pm  #137

I'm afraid I'm not very knowledgeable about canon, does she die in the book? It would certainly be the best time to ditch her and that would make me very happy, but it seems cruel to put John though that again after his mourning the loss of Sherlock. Though if he just married her on the rebound from Sherlock's death, I think I could justify it. 

November 3, 2012 8:14 pm  #138

Watson's wife dies not long before The Reunion, in The Canon.

November 3, 2012 8:59 pm  #139

Yes, her death is mention merely in passing in "The empty house". ACD treats John's loss quite offhandedly as if he couldn't wait to place him again at 221B. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

November 4, 2012 12:18 am  #140

SusiGo wrote:

Yes, her death is mention merely in passing in "The empty house". ACD treats John's loss quite offhandedly as if he couldn't wait to place him again at 221B. 

Heh.  I wish I could shake ol' Sir Arthur's hand, just for this, if nothing else. Good for him.

Board footera