BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 3, 2012 7:21 am  #81

Re: Discussions on the John and Sherlock relationship

I love the moment when John offers his phone. Sherlock seems genuinely surprised and touched that he is offering. That's definitely the moment that Sherlock noticed the potential in him.

I also really like the scene with Mycroft when he points out that his hand ISN'T shaking because he's missed the war and now he's back in it, then he keeps getting all those texts from Sherlock and ultimately that's when he makes the decision that yes, he is going to move into 221B, for definite. And from then on in he will always tolerate Sherlock's crazy behaviour and his impatientness when he's getting him to send the text and so on.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

July 3, 2012 7:24 am  #82

I think he's impressed as soon as he takes the phone from John in the lab and makes the deduction that he is a recently returned military man. Very useful for a private detective oops...consulting detective.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

July 3, 2012 6:39 pm  #83

I'm also thinking John's quiet, self contained demeanor might have made him rather interesting to Sherlock.  As they say (even good old Sally Donovan) "opposites attract"  Anyway, in keeping with this little theme, here's one of my favorite John and Sherlock fan videos. I like it because it's a light-hearted look at their relationship and the music always makes me smile. Also, the editing is quite good and the action really fits the music if you have a computer that doesn't lag.  It's one I keep coming back to.

It Had To Be You

And I said "dangerous" and here you are.

You. It's always you. John Watson, you keep me right.

July 3, 2012 7:35 pm  #84

KeepersPrice wrote:

I'm also thinking John's quiet, self contained demeanor might have made him rather interesting to Sherlock.  As they say (even good old Sally Donovan) "opposites attract"  Anyway, in keeping with this little theme, here's one of my favorite John and Sherlock fan videos. I like it because it's a light-hearted look at their relationship and the music always makes me smile. Also, the editing is quite good and the action really fits the music if you have a computer that doesn't lag.  It's one I keep coming back to.

It Had To Be You

Thanks for the vid rec. Very cool. I love Harry Connick Jr. anyway, and whoever did this video did a bang-up job, editing together the scenes. It was nice to see so many light-hearted S/J moments-- the show is so much more serious than that, all in all.

July 5, 2012 8:42 pm  #85

I saw something today on someone's Tumblr page that was rather interesting.  It was a Tweet supposedly by Amanda Abbington.  Now, I don't have a Twitter account and I also don't know if there is any validity to any Amanda Abbington tweets - or anything else on Tumblr for that matter.  I know people can impersonate anyone, photoshop anything, and can make up all kinds of stuff which gullible people then fall for.  But I've also heard Amanda does do quite a bit of tweeting and has a very ribald sense of humor, so this could possibly be for real.  I make no claims about it- but if it is real, it's very funny and endearing to us Johnlockers. 

Apparently someone asked her on Twitter, "If you had one day with Martin's version of John Watson, what would you do?"  She responded, "I'd take him to a hotel and be his Sherlock! xxx"

Too funny - Amanda tweet or not.  OMG - imagine that fantasy if you've got the real guy to act it out with. 

July 5, 2012 8:59 pm  #86

She did indeed Tweet this in response to a question. Later she changed her answer a bit.
'Well, I did say I'd take him to a hotel. But actually I'd drive him out to the countryside & show him my...xxx'
To which the questioner added...
'Sock index? You naughty girl you...xxxx'
Amanda then added...
'I know *blushes, hides behind fan, bats eyelashes, runs off, falls over* xx'

She is a case our Amanda.

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

July 5, 2012 11:01 pm  #87

Wow! She is COOL!

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

July 6, 2012 12:36 am  #88

Well, I certainly like her first response the best  . I would never leave that hotel room

July 6, 2012 1:06 am  #89

Davina wrote:

She did indeed Tweet this in response to a question. Later she changed her answer a bit.
'Well, I did say I'd take him to a hotel. But actually I'd drive him out to the countryside & show him my...xxx'
To which the questioner added...
'Sock index? You naughty girl you...xxxx'
Amanda then added...
'I know *blushes, hides behind fan, bats eyelashes, runs off, falls over* xx'

She is a case our Amanda.

That is hilarious.

Disguise is always a self portrait

July 9, 2012 4:54 pm  #90

KeepersPrice wrote:

Two observations tonight. Going out on the internet in search of all things "Sherlock" I run across so many wonderful stories and observations and discussions on all the topics we talk about here.  Sometimes I think it's all been said before by others more articulate and clever than I will ever be.  And I think to myself why do I stay up late at night to be here and write out my thoughts when so many others have already said them or have better thoughts.  But when I start to type I realize this is something I'm doing for myself.  I need to put my Sherlock thoughts into my own words and get them out there to share.  The obsession is that strong. It may be what a lot of others have said already - but for right here and right now it's my chance to say it in my own way.  So thank you Sherlock Forum for the opportunity.  I'm grateful.

IMO, one very small but lovely moment I observed in the Great Game.  It comes when the little boy is counting down the seconds to his demise while Sherlock tries to figure out why the painting is a fake.  John is practically having a heart attack from the tension. Then Sherlock solves it with one second to go and John is just flooded with so many emotions - relief, joy, exasperation, wonderment, and admiration for this brilliant man.  At the very end of this scene he's looking directly into the camera (as if at the painting) and sort of breathes out weakly "Oh Sherl...."  It's almost like he can't physically throw his arms around the guy in gratitude for saving the boy, so he does it privately with his words instead. And he thought Sherlock didn't know about the solar system. Ha!

I think you put it very well.

I'm enjoying rp playing with their mutual trust, fascination and infatuation and care for each other and as much as I like to slash them so they get extra joy of discovering romance, erotic and heart rate changing moments of passion in their lives  I would like the series writers to just give us the same as they've given us in S1 and S2. or a little more fuel for the fire.

I agree with your reading of that scene.

In my head Sherlock and John orbit each other.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We solve crimes, I blog about it and he forgets his pants, so I wouldn’t hold out too much hope. (Scandal in Belgravia)

I asked you for one more miracle. I asked you to stop being dead..........I heard you.(The Empty Hearse)

July 9, 2012 5:04 pm  #91

Davina wrote:

I think he's impressed as soon as he takes the phone from John in the lab and makes the deduction that he is a recently returned military man. Very useful for a private detective oops...consulting detective.

I agree, soon as Sherlock deduces John from all the available sources of data. He winked at John, and since when has he done that to anyone else?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We solve crimes, I blog about it and he forgets his pants, so I wouldn’t hold out too much hope. (Scandal in Belgravia)

I asked you for one more miracle. I asked you to stop being dead..........I heard you.(The Empty Hearse)

July 9, 2012 10:27 pm  #92

Morton wrote:

OMG, another slasher! Squeeee! Welcome to the forum. Good to meetcha.

Orbiting is an interesting way to put it. In the show, it's more orbiting than anything else. Floating along here in the warm shallows of my own little slashy mind, I like to picture it more like a lunar landing. "Houston, we have contact!"  lolololol

Sherlock knows the Earth goes around the sun, for crying out loud. I love how John turns his crank, though. "Keep your observations to yourself!" *laugh*

July 10, 2012 7:55 am  #93

ancientsgate wrote:

Morton wrote:

OMG, another slasher! Squeeee! Welcome to the forum. Good to meetcha.

Orbiting is an interesting way to put it. In the show, it's more orbiting than anything else. Floating along here in the warm shallows of my own little slashy mind, I like to picture it more like a lunar landing. "Houston, we have contact!"  lolololol

Sherlock knows the Earth goes around the sun, for crying out loud. I love how John turns his crank, though. "Keep your observations to yourself!" *laugh*

Oh yeah! Good to meet you too.

Yes in the show it is a lot of orbiting and no giant steps for mankind. I love the wit of John too and Hell yes Sherlock knows enough about astronomy  to be able to spot the Van Buren Supernova.

Floating in warm shallows is a beautiful way of putting it.

July 10, 2012 11:36 am  #94

Very nice, witty celestial imagery Ancients and Morton. Orbits, touchdowns , and supernovas!  I definitely get where you're going with that! 

July 10, 2012 1:23 pm  #95

Morton wrote:

Floating in warm shallows is a beautiful way of putting it.

On the River DeNial.  I'll never see my beloved slash with my beloved characters on screen, but as long as I keep floating along in my shallow denial place, I'll be a happy camper.

July 13, 2012 2:45 am  #96

An interesting thought came to mind - triggered by a discussion from the other thread on "what will John do when he finds out Sherlock's alive".  The talk there had turned to miracles and John asking for "Please, just one more miracle" at the end of TRF.

I started thinking about aSiP and how Sherlock asked John what he would do if he were dying, if he'd been murdered, what would he ask in his last few seconds.  And John responds, "Please God, let me live." When Sherlock says, "Use your imagination."  John says, "I don't have to." So we know that in Afghanistan when John thought he was dying he asked God to save him.  Compare that to the graveside scene at the end of TRF.  John doesn't say, "Please God, don't let him be dead"  or "Please God, give me a miracle and let Sherlock still be alive".  No, he doesn't seem to be talking to God any longer. He isn't asking Him for miracles.  Sherlock is the one who performs the miracles.  Sherlock is the one he asks for miracles now. I know I'm probably way over-reading this. I know faith in God can wax and wane depending on circumstances and even an atheist might beg God to save him in the end when all else fails.  And John may have felt only the need to talk directly to Sherlock in that intimate moment at the grave site. It could be any number of things.  I just found it an interesting concept to contemplate and perhaps indicative of the hugely important hold Sherlock now has on John's life. I'm not saying John doesn't believe in God - just perhaps that John's God, if he does believe in one, has been eclipsed by the supernova that is/was Sherlock Holmes.

July 13, 2012 4:01 am  #97

KeepersPrice wrote:

....John doesn't say, "Please God, don't let him be dead"  or "Please God, give me a miracle and let Sherlock still be alive".  No, he doesn't seem to be talking to God any longer. He isn't asking Him for miracles.  Sherlock is the one who performs the miracles.  Sherlock is the one he asks for miracles now..... I just found it an interesting concept to contemplate and perhaps indicative of the hugely important hold Sherlock now has on John's life. I'm not saying John doesn't believe in God - just perhaps that John's God, if he does believe in one, has been eclipsed by the supernova that is/was Sherlock Holmes.

Whether or not John would profess any faith in the deity, he's seen Sherlock do what look like miracles over and over again. He's learned to look to Sherlock for the answers, the way one might who was praying for divine wisdom and knowledge. Interesting, isn't it. Sherlock said he's not a hero; I would wager that he'd also say he's not omniscient, omnipresent or omnipotent either, but in John's life AS (After Sherlock), let's just say, he looms large! It's a form of idolatry, actually-- making a "thing" (in this instance, another human being), something other than God himself, into an object of adoration and worship. It's actually quite common among us human beings-- idolatry is everywhere, and often it's someone we love and desire whom we place up on that throne. I don't have any problem with the idea that John may have done that with Sherlock, either consciously or unconsciously.

July 13, 2012 4:17 am  #98

what I feel,  is that  John and Sherlock are 2 sides of the same coin.   So,,   John NEEDS  Sherlock,  to be his friend,  and Sherlock needs John to keep him balanced.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

July 13, 2012 5:09 am  #99

Hmmmm!  KP, I like the way your mind works!  :-)

Very interesting take, I must say.  I'll have to think about that some more.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It was worth a wound–it was worth many wounds–to know the depth of loyalty and love which lay behind that cold mask. The clear, hard eyes were dimmed for a moment, and the firm lips were shaking. For the one and only time I caught a glimpse of a great heart as well as of a great brain. All my years of humble but single-minded service culminated in that moment of revelation.

July 13, 2012 5:35 am  #100

KeepersPrice wrote:

So we know that in Afghanistan when John thought he was dying he asked God to save him.

He was wounded by a bullet, in his shoulder.
I'd say more probable that he was referring to the dying soldiers he encountered on a regular basis. That would give him more of a broad idea as to what one would say in such a situation.
There's nothing to suggest that John ever thought he was really dying.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

Board footera