BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 27, 2012 10:07 pm  #61

Re: Discussions on the John and Sherlock relationship

KeepersPrice wrote:

So I have a question.  I just re-watched Great Game which I hadn't seen in a while.  I'd forgotten about John's overnight at Sarah's where he slept on the couch - and not very comfortably at that - after his little "domestic" with Sherlock.  Sarah said he should have slept on the "lilo" -  which took me a while to figure out was an air mattress   Then she said maybe next time he should camp out at the foot of her bed to which he said hopefully, "And the time after that?"  She just smiled at him in a non-committal way.  Certainly no displays of affection or signs of encouragement from her.  Do you think it's because their relationship is too new and hasn't reached the sleeping together stage or is she already very aware that John's heart and mind are back at Baker Street and he's just too stupid to see it yet? I think the latter. Sarah had a very intuitive, knowing female look on her face during that scene.  She's never going to go further with John because she's not even going to try and compete. She already knows it's hopeless. It makes me wonder about John's other girlfriends - the one with the spots, etc.  Were they as savvy as Sarah and finally Jeanette? We already know none of them seem to last very long.  It makes me wonder if he has ever made it into bed with any of them. My evil "Johnlock" heart says, "I hope not!"    Too funny....Sherlock, a virgin by choice/John, a "virgin" since the war not by choice.

I had to look up "lilo", as well.
I personally think John and Sarah ( who I liked quite a bit) were definitely physical,  as they went to New Zealand together for two weeks in April ( see John's blog), but broke up shortly afterwards. The only thing John says about breaking up is that his life with Sherlock is not compatible with long- term relationaships... so in my mind Sherlock made him run 1000 errands the moment he got back, and they were texting back and forth all the time while John and Sarah were in New Zealand... so Sarah, smart as she seemed, got the picture.

Last edited by deerstalker (June 27, 2012 10:08 pm)

June 28, 2012 10:16 am  #62

ancientsgate wrote:

KeepersPrice wrote:

....I love this little running joke in the show.  Sherlock doesn't care what people assume about him and John - it's of no concern to him and it rolls off his back.  But it concerns John because these assumptions keep getting in his way from scoring with the ladies. Quite funny really.

As for Jeanette, she is really pissed off at him - so much so that this is obviously not the first time he's ditched her for Sherlock.  John giving in to Mycroft's request at her expense on Christmas Eve was the final straw. Well so long honey....you are a boring teacher! Don't let the door hit you in the *ss 

I love it, all of it. Great observations.

Love John's rant in TRF-- "BACHELOR John Watson! CONFIRMED bachelor John Watson!'  lololol

"What are they implying?!"

You KNOW what they're implying John - get over it! 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

June 28, 2012 4:41 pm  #63

I don't think this point has been raised here but it specifically to do with Sherlock's handling of the situation with Irene when she appears in the nude in ASiB. He seems to project his own awkwardness and bafflement onto John.

He says, " I don't think John knows where to look."

To which Irene replies, remember she is also very, very good at assessing people," He knows exactly where. Not sure about you...".

Sherlock then tries to deflect his 'embarrassment'/'bafflement' further by saying that if he wanted to look at naked women all he would have to do is look at John's laptop. John has a quick retort ready for that.

So, my point is, in this scene Sherlock is using John to deflect Irene's attention away from himself and what is for him a very unusual situation where he actually feels somewhat out of his depth. I think he does this partly because he believes that John being a 'man of the world' will somehow be able to handle the situation in someway. In fact John does just that by suggesting Irene puts something on, albeit he suggests a table napkin at first.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

June 29, 2012 12:49 am  #64

Davina wrote:

I don't think this point has been raised here but it specifically to do with Sherlock's handling of the situation with Irene when she appears in the nude in ASiB. He seems to project his own awkwardness and bafflement onto John.

He says, " I don't think John knows where to look."

To which Irene replies, remember she is also very, very good at assessing people," He knows exactly where. Not sure about you...".

Sherlock then tries to deflect his 'embarrassment'/'bafflement' further by saying that if he wanted to look at naked women all he would have to do is look at John's laptop. John has a quick retort ready for that.

So, my point is, in this scene Sherlock is using John to deflect Irene's attention away from himself and what is for him a very unusual situation where he actually feels somewhat out of his depth. I think he does this partly because he believes that John being a 'man of the world' will somehow be able to handle the situation in someway. In fact John does just that by suggesting Irene puts something on, albeit he suggests a table napkin at first.

Very keen observation That makes a lot of sense. I think he probably did feel very much out of his comfort zone and probably was using John as an excuse to rectify that problem. I hadn't thought about the idea of Sherlock trying to get John to handle it though. I forgot about the napkin!  haha

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved,
desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn!" - Jack Kerouac

June 29, 2012 4:09 am  #65

Two observations tonight. Going out on the internet in search of all things "Sherlock" I run across so many wonderful stories and observations and discussions on all the topics we talk about here.  Sometimes I think it's all been said before by others more articulate and clever than I will ever be.  And I think to myself why do I stay up late at night to be here and write out my thoughts when so many others have already said them or have better thoughts.  But when I start to type I realize this is something I'm doing for myself.  I need to put my Sherlock thoughts into my own words and get them out there to share.  The obsession is that strong. It may be what a lot of others have said already - but for right here and right now it's my chance to say it in my own way.  So thank you Sherlock Forum for the opportunity.  I'm grateful.

IMO, one very small but lovely moment I observed in the Great Game.  It comes when the little boy is counting down the seconds to his demise while Sherlock tries to figure out why the painting is a fake.  John is practically having a heart attack from the tension. Then Sherlock solves it with one second to go and John is just flooded with so many emotions - relief, joy, exasperation, wonderment, and admiration for this brilliant man.  At the very end of this scene he's looking directly into the camera (as if at the painting) and sort of breathes out weakly "Oh Sherl...."  It's almost like he can't physically throw his arms around the guy in gratitude for saving the boy, so he does it privately with his words instead. And he thought Sherlock didn't know about the solar system. Ha!

And I said "dangerous" and here you are.

You. It's always you. John Watson, you keep me right.

June 29, 2012 4:19 am  #66

Very nicely articulated, KP.  I feel much the same way.  Other people may have great insights, but they will never know exactly what is important to us.  Go right ahead, I enjoy reading everything.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It was worth a wound–it was worth many wounds–to know the depth of loyalty and love which lay behind that cold mask. The clear, hard eyes were dimmed for a moment, and the firm lips were shaking. For the one and only time I caught a glimpse of a great heart as well as of a great brain. All my years of humble but single-minded service culminated in that moment of revelation.

June 29, 2012 4:43 am  #67

KeepersPrice wrote:

.....IMO, one very small but lovely moment I observed in the Great Game.  It comes when the little boy is counting down the seconds to his demise while Sherlock tries to figure out why the painting is a fake.  John is practically having a heart attack from the tension. Then Sherlock solves it with one second to go and John is just flooded with so many emotions - relief, joy, exasperation, wonderment, and admiration for this brilliant man.  At the very end of this scene he's looking directly into the camera (as if at the painting) and sort of breathes out weakly "Oh Sherl...."  It's almost like he can't physically throw his arms around the guy in gratitude for saving the boy, so he does it privately with his words instead. And he thought Sherlock didn't know about the solar system. Ha!

Awww. You made my night, reminding me of that. How lovely. So glad you're here, sharing your ideas and memories with us! *hugs*

June 29, 2012 5:53 am  #68

KeepersPrice wrote:

Two observations tonight. Going out on the internet in search of all things "Sherlock" I run across so many wonderful stories and observations and discussions on all the topics we talk about here.  Sometimes I think it's all been said before by others more articulate and clever than I will ever be.  And I think to myself why do I stay up late at night to be here and write out my thoughts when so many others have already said them or have better thoughts.  But when I start to type I realize this is something I'm doing for myself.  I need to put my Sherlock thoughts into my own words and get them out there to share.  The obsession is that strong. It may be what a lot of others have said already - but for right here and right now it's my chance to say it in my own way.  So thank you Sherlock Forum for the opportunity.  I'm grateful.

Oh God, Yes Same here.

June 30, 2012 1:04 am  #69

Two sweet little moments from "The Blog of Dr. John H. Watson": 

I like the April 1st entry when John blogs about the swimming pool incident and how, for a moment, Sherlock thinks he's Moriarty.  "I could see the look in Sherlock's eyes - a flash of, not anger, but hurt.  For a second he looked like a little, lost child. I should have been horrified that he'd even doubt me for a second but, to be honest, it was so refreshingly human of him.  He actually did value our friendship.  He did, despite himself, care" 

Then my favorite little exchange on May 1st.  John blogs about going to New Zealand (to visit Bilbo Baggins no doubt ) and how he and Sarah broke up soon after. 
Sherlock comments the blog: "You never told me about Sarah."
John: You never noticed I'd been to New Zealand,
Sherlock (completely ignoring the comment): I went shopping earlier.  There's some cans of beer in the fridge.  Next to the feet.
John:  :-)

Call me completely Johnlocked in my interpretation but I find something really sweet and touching about that little exchange.  John is hurting from the break-up. Sherlock actually goes shopping and buys him some beer. When does Sherlock ever shop! Wouldn't you say that's quite the caring gesture coming from him?  John sends a nice little smile in return.....he knows......

June 30, 2012 1:26 am  #70

KeepersPrice wrote:

Two sweet little moments from "The Blog of Dr. John H. Watson":  .......
Sherlock (completely ignoring the comment): I went shopping earlier.  There's some cans of beer in the fridge.  Next to the feet.
John:  :-).......

Awwww! Love it. Next to the feet! Not as good as the bag of thumbs, or the severed head on a plate, but not bad, not bad at all. lolololol

Is this Blog of Dr. JHW something that's being put up on line? First I've heard of it. Shall I start squeeeeing now?

June 30, 2012 2:42 am  #71

ancientsgate wrote:

KeepersPrice wrote:

Two sweet little moments from "The Blog of Dr. John H. Watson":  .......
John:  :-).......

Awwww! Love it. Next to the feet! Not as good as the bag of thumbs, or the severed head on a plate, but not bad, not bad at all. lolololol

Is this Blog of Dr. JHW something that's being put up on line? First I've heard of it. Shall I start squeeeeing now?

It's a wonderful bit of fun.  John's blog It's not a BBC site but it is written by someone associated with the show - or hired by the show.  It's extremely amusing.  Be sure to follow all the links.

June 30, 2012 2:48 am  #72

Actually, I have a question about John's blog.  There are some videos on there but they don't work for me.  Are they supposed to?  Can anyone else see them?

June 30, 2012 3:20 am  #73

KeepersPrice wrote:

Actually, I have a question about John's blog.  There are some videos on there but they don't work for me.  Are they supposed to?  Can anyone else see them?

Answered here: http://sherlock.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=34&p=3

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

June 30, 2012 3:55 am  #74

kazza474 wrote:

KeepersPrice wrote:

Answered here: http://sherlock.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=34&p=3

Thanks so much Kazza.  I could see them...really fun.  Do you have the one for the last blog entry?  It looks to be BBC newscasters talking about Sherlock's death?

June 30, 2012 4:20 am  #75

Ah thanks for reminding me, shall get it & add it to that thread.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

June 30, 2012 4:24 am  #76

Done.

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

July 3, 2012 2:59 am  #77

At last, time to get back on my favorite thread.  So today I'm thinking about aSiP and the scene where Mike brings John into the lab and John and Sherlock see each other for the very first time.  It's one of my favorite scenes.  I watch it over and over again and it never fails to give me a delicious little chill each time. What exactly does Sherlock see in John from almost the first moment he walks in that makes him choose him to share part of his life? And I have no doubt in my mind that he does choose him right then and there. He has told Mike, "I must be a difficult man to find a flatmate for." meaning he might already have rejected a score of candidates and they, him.  But somewhere within this scene I believe Sherlock makes the decision that John is different - John has potential - John is a man to value. John is of course uncertain and guarded but Sherlock seems to have no such uncertainty.

Okay, it's a 90 minute show and they can't waste time getting these two together so the plot can move forward.  And we, the audience, have the benefit of hindsight, and know of course they're going to get together. And yes, Sherlock makes his lightening fast observations about John and his history so he's got some insight into him already. But there's got to be more to it.  What has he seen beyond the obvious?  I think it might happen when John hands over his phone to him before they are even introduced and without being asked. It's a kind, trusting gesture - one Sherlock might not have expected. That could be the start - that one little thing that clicks in the head or heart and takes up residence there almost without notice.

And what about that wink at the end of the scene.  It certainly wasn't flirtatious but was quite cocky in a charming boyish way. It was a theatrically effective way for Sherlock to introduce himself to us the audience (and to John); but how often have we seen him do something like that - or act that animated when not working on a crime?  What (or who) set that behavior off? The next day he shows up at the appointed meeting time at Baker Street on the dot. He hastily tries to rearrange and tidy up the monstrous mess by stabbing the papers onto the mantle.  He appears very eager for John to stay. So maybe in Reichenbach when he says, "I wanted to impress you" he wasn't really far off the mark.  John was definitely chosen and brought 'home' - hopefully to stay.

Ah, another lovely night spent in delicious relationship contemplation.......

July 3, 2012 3:12 am  #78

KeepersPrice wrote:

....maybe in Reichenbach when he says, "I wanted to impress you" he wasn't really far off the mark.  John was definitely chosen and brought 'home' - hopefully to stay. ah, another lovely night spent in delicious relationship contemplation.......

I, too, love the wink in the scene where they first meet. That's the first time John hears Sherlock's name as well. Lovely.

"I wanted to impress you." Love it. You know, there's a whole world of meaning in those five little words. John's soliloquy in the graveyard bears out how very much he was impressed. But I guess friendship is like that, with or without romance-- it comes upon us unexpectedly, strikes like lightning, has the characteristics of quicksilver, and leaves no parts of us unchanged.

July 3, 2012 3:45 am  #79

KeepersPrice wrote:

I think it might happen when John hands over his phone to him before they are even introduced and without being asked. It's a kind, trusting gesture - one Sherlock might not have expected. That could be the start - that one little thing that clicks in the head or heart and takes up residence there almost without notice.

John's: "Here - use mine!" when handing over his phone to Sherlock gives me the impression that this could mean as well:
"Here - use me."

John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

July 3, 2012 6:38 am  #80

KeepersPrice wrote:

At last, time to get back on my favorite thread.  So today I'm thinking about aSiP and the scene where Mike brings John into the lab and John and Sherlock see each other for the very first time.  It's one of my favorite scenes.  I watch it over and over again and it never fails to give me a delicious little chill each time. What exactly does Sherlock see in John from almost the first moment he walks in that makes him choose him to share part of his life? And I have no doubt in my mind that he does choose him right then and there. He has told Mike, "I must be a difficult man to find a flatmate for." meaning he might already have rejected a score of candidates and they, him.  But somewhere within this scene I believe Sherlock makes the decision that John is different - John has potential - John is a man to value. John is of course uncertain and guarded but Sherlock seems to have no such uncertainty.

Okay, it's a 90 minute show and they can't waste time getting these two together so the plot can move forward.  And we, the audience, have the benefit of hindsight, and know of course they're going to get together. And yes, Sherlock makes his lightening fast observations about John and his history so he's got some insight into him already. But there's got to be more to it.  What has he seen beyond the obvious?  I think it might happen when John hands over his phone to him before they are even introduced and without being asked. It's a kind, trusting gesture - one Sherlock might not have expected. That could be the start - that one little thing that clicks in the head or heart and takes up residence there almost without notice.

And what about that wink at the end of the scene.  It certainly wasn't flirtatious but was quite cocky in a charming boyish way. It was a theatrically effective way for Sherlock to introduce himself to us the audience (and to John); but how often have we seen him do something like that - or act that animated when not working on a crime?  What (or who) set that behavior off? The next day he shows up at the appointed meeting time at Baker Street on the dot. He hastily tries to rearrange and tidy up the monstrous mess by stabbing the papers onto the mantle.  He appears very eager for John to stay. So maybe in Reichenbach when he says, "I wanted to impress you" he wasn't really far off the mark.  John was definitely chosen and brought 'home' - hopefully to stay.

Ah, another lovely night spent in delicious relationship contemplation.......

Great points.
I think the whole "A SiP" episode is one big test for John, which he passes brilliantly.
I totally agree that Sherlock knows he wants John as a flat mate right away- most probably right after John gives him the phone.
Sherlock  tried to impress John at the apartment- from the introductions ( quite theatrical "Ms. Hudson- Dr. John Watson") to taking a beat before opening the apartment door to tidying things up in a hurry ( so concerned about John's opinion, so un- Sherlockian), to his seductive " You are a doctor"...
... but then they get eventually to Phase 2, when I feel Sherlock is baiting John to see if John can take it. From "Can I borrow you phone" to the end of that scene at "Ms Hudson took my skull ( and that very mischievous look Sherlock gives John)- I am basically filling in for your skull?- Relax, you're doing fine"- is, in my opinion, the Big Test Part 2.
   I really have to go to sleep. Maybe tomorrow I'll make more sense.

Last edited by deerstalker (July 3, 2012 6:41 am)

Board footera