BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 12, 2014 6:51 pm  #381

Re: Discussions on the John and Sherlock relationship

Ozma wrote:

I don't think Sherlock was teasing John, they weren't in that stage of their relationship yet - they hardly knew each other. He was being serious - not sure if his deduction was actually that, a deduction, or just him reacting to what John said... but he was serious.

I do think it's true what Mofftiss have said - John isn't wired that way - but it's also true that Moffat lies - trust me on this, please.  
I think everybody thinks John is in denial.
I am convinced they want to keep their options open.

This ^ 

-------------------------------------------------------

January 12, 2014 6:56 pm  #382

besleybean wrote:

Not according to every single member of the Sherlock tream in every single interview they've ever given and also not according to Canon...
Bromance, not romance...think I'll have that on my tombstone!

We all know the writers lie.. deliberately and obviously.

Lies indicate intent..which indicates cleverness and planning , which indicates.....,,,,,

Something is going to happen.

January 12, 2014 7:29 pm  #383

I don't unnderstand why people think these programmes are made in a vacuum.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 12, 2014 7:48 pm  #384

Saying Oh but John is straight...,/end is blah.

Science shows we are all born bisexuals. Kinsey report..scale etc.
Sexual identy is given to us by social and cultural moulding.Sherlock himself explained this ish last episode.
In reality sexuality is fluid.

Isn't part of the whole point of the pink study realising.., that when it comes to falling in love , true love gayness , straightness, and even gender is totally irrelevant.

Yes , Sex complicates things..to decide yes/no we need actual evidence.
Johns constant i'm not gay thing is interesting tho.
John laughs off killing people..and heads in the fridge. And even after a while the fake death thing. But not the gay thing.....why?

Maybe because it's not a joke ...

Last edited by lil (January 12, 2014 8:05 pm)

January 12, 2014 7:55 pm  #385

We have evidence from books, writers and actors.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 12, 2014 7:58 pm  #386

But these aren't real humans.  Therefore they are not subjectable to REAL human traits.  They are subjectable to however the writters want them to be.

January 12, 2014 8:00 pm  #387

One of the places where this series has really deviated from canon is in giving both boys too many other people to be attracted to.

In the originals, I don't know if Holmes and Watson were gay, but they lived together and acted like "life partners" in every other sense much of the time. Even when Watson was married and had his own medical practice,  he dropped everything when Holmes came to him for help. And he pretty much only had one love interest / marriage - Mary. 

Canon-Holmes may have been asexual, but there is NO doubt that the human being he cares for most in the world is Watson. He is mean to Watson sometimes, but not to the degree of this series.

He did try to talk to Watson out of getting married, and, during the years of Watson's marriage, seemed to come up with every excuse to go and see him (even when it was clear his assistance wasn't really needed for the case.)

In canon, Holmes really didn't have much interaction with Irene Adler at all; in this series there was WAY too much sexual tension between them. 

Then there's Molly, whom he is mean to, but also kisses at one point, and who is apparently in on the faked death. (Which means he confided in her when he didn't confide in John.)

I guess my point is, their relationship doesn't have to be sexual, but canonically, Sherlock, at least, should love Watson or no one. If Sherlock Holmes is not receptive to sex of any kind, fine; but don't have him be more attracted to / distracted by a woman than by Watson.

January 12, 2014 8:00 pm  #388

Exactly and the writers have said they are not going to write Johnlock.

January 12, 2014 8:09 pm  #389

besleybean wrote:

Exactly and the writers have said they are not going to write Johnlock.

Besley.....I'm with you.

Look, other person whos name I cannot see, and therfore cannot write it down:  If YOUR John and Sherlock are closeted...Cool.  You enjoy that.  Since, again, they are not real humans, they won't have any problems with you thinking that.  And just as you are entitled to beleive that, we are entitled to believe they are just super close homies.  

This is kind of the same thing as arguing weither or not unicorns are lactose intolorant.  Since they aren't real, we won't have a real answer.  OTHER THAN THE ONE the creators have made...which is:Nope.

January 12, 2014 8:14 pm  #390

Loving the unicon reference!

January 12, 2014 8:16 pm  #391

This is a modernisation of canon...in canon the spine of the storyline was the relationship between the two, and Watsons obsession with Holmes.
At that time writing a story about two men living happily together for decades was dangerous...look at what happened to Wilde.
So Doyle adds on Johns wives, but he obv. Was not intrested in them as a story arch or as characters. He told us nothing about them and even on occasion mixed up the names.
They were a means to an end.
Studying the relationship between John/Sherlock is completly in keeping with canon. Both now and then , that was the story.As it is now.

Doyle said said Holmes wss as likely to fall in love as a babbage machine.......a computer.
But look at computers today..in a modern version would such victorian...fears and moralty and behavior s be relevant.

January 12, 2014 8:20 pm  #392

besleybean wrote:

Loving the unicon reference!

Thank You. 

January 12, 2014 8:21 pm  #393

Look, you guys....

January 12, 2014 8:23 pm  #394

Possibly depends if youi've listened to/read all the articles/interviews, I guess.

January 13, 2014 1:03 am  #395

VaticanCameoBrooch wrote:

Look, you guys....

You know, the first time I saw Benedict and Martin as Holmes and Watson, I was reminded of Sheldon and Leonard.

January 13, 2014 7:40 pm  #396

Did anyone else notice the fan art picture of john and sherlock kissing on Anderson s shelf over the fire?
TEH @about 01:18

Does that mean John/Sherlock is on the shelf?...it was quite amusing .

Last edited by lil (January 14, 2014 3:46 am)

January 13, 2014 8:00 pm  #397

Oh god I didn't notice that...must look next time!

Last edited by besleybean (January 13, 2014 8:01 pm)

January 16, 2014 7:45 pm  #398

Okay two things:

1) About "Moffat and Gatiss have consistently denied it happening". Well, they never leid to us before, why would they now? (Yes, I'm sarcastic as hell)

2) "But they are just adhering to canon." They only adhere to canon when they feel like it and have deviated on numerous occations (Irene's sexuality, Mary's pregnancy, Mary's previous occupations, I could go on), so this argument is null and void.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Is it nice not being me? It must be so relaxing.

An apostrophe makes the difference between a business that knows its shit, and a business that knows it's shit.

January 16, 2014 7:47 pm  #399

Didn't John and Mary have children in The Canon?

January 16, 2014 7:59 pm  #400

If they want to stick to canon they'll have to keep up the ambiguity. Because the canon can be interpreted in different ways, too. And that's exactly what they've done so far.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He’s got a dog. We go to the pub on weekends. I’ve met his mum and dad …

… and his friends and all his family and I’ve no idea why I’m telling you this.

Board footera