BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 27, 2013 5:33 am  #361

Re: Discussions on the John and Sherlock relationship

Yes I don't imagine Sherlock is the easiest person to live with...never boring or predictable tho!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

June 27, 2013 1:55 pm  #362

SilverMoonDragonB wrote:

kittykat wrote:

They sure bicker like a married couple!

Hehe, indeed! Those are some of my favourite moments in the show, always has me giggling! 

Great chemistry 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dean - "I'm not happy about it. But I got to move on. So I'm gonna keep doing what we do...while I still can. And I'd like you to be there with me."

Sam - "I'm your brother, Dean, if you ever need to talk about anything with anybody, you got someone right here next to you."

June 27, 2013 6:14 pm  #363

kittykat wrote:

Great chemistry 

The two actors have chemistry as friends and coworkers, and their characters have been given that same chemistry.

One of the magical things about this TV series is that (to me) the characters seem real. Everything they do and say is plausible, and never for a moment do I doubt that their living and working situation and their bromance could be real, living right today in London.

June 27, 2013 6:22 pm  #364

ancientsgate wrote:

kittykat wrote:

Great chemistry 

The two actors have chemistry as friends and coworkers, and their characters have been given that same chemistry.

One of the magical things about this TV series is that (to me) the characters seem real. Everything they do and say is plausible, and never for a moment do I doubt that their living and working situation and their bromance could be real, living right today in London.

You're right; it works in the modern day so well

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dean - "I'm not happy about it. But I got to move on. So I'm gonna keep doing what we do...while I still can. And I'd like you to be there with me."

Sam - "I'm your brother, Dean, if you ever need to talk about anything with anybody, you got someone right here next to you."

June 27, 2013 6:26 pm  #365

It really was a stroke of Gatiss/Moffat genius,

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

June 28, 2013 6:36 pm  #366

I do find it amazing that John - the wounded soldier - mentally and physically - so isolated from the world he won't talk to his sister, recognizes Mike Stamford, but tries to hurry away before Mike recognizes him, is willing to let Sherlock in so quickly.
(You're very loyal, very quickly)
(I am also amazed by my ability to write such a run on sentence).

Sherlock otoh, is almost desperate for a sounding board - and has "seen" in John a kindred spirit.

When Sherlock is telling John "you're a doctor, an army doctor" etc, He asks him if he's seen (?? - can't remember the quote) and John replies Yes, enough for a lifetime - John looks down and to the left - a well known sign of telling a lie.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Beware of dragons for you are crunchy and go well with ketchup

Dr. Horribles sing along blog
You people all have to learn
This world is going to burn
Burn
(yeah, it’s two r’s. H, O, R, R, yeah right.)
Burn

June 28, 2013 8:19 pm  #367

Oh no I genuinely think John has seen some terrible things which have damaged him...but he still needs that adrenalin rush.

June 28, 2013 9:52 pm  #368

besleybean wrote:

Oh no I genuinely think John has seen some terrible things which have damaged him...but he still needs that adrenalin rush.

Which is why **John replies Yes, enough for a lifetime - John looks down and to the left - a well known sign of telling a lie** is very probably true. Yeah, he's seen a lot of damned distasteful things, maybe done more than a few himself, but he would love some more.

June 29, 2013 7:10 pm  #369

He possibly feels a bit guilty about wanting more...but Sherlock understands him perfectly!

July 1, 2013 4:44 am  #370

besleybean wrote:

He possibly feels a bit guilty about wanting more...but Sherlock understands him perfectly!

Sounds pretty dead on to me. Most people would recoil at hearing you wanted to experience more combat situations (or just the adrenaline rush of it) which would expain why John says he's had enough of it rather than outrightly admit to that desire but thankfully for everyone involved Sherlock totally gets it.

================================================================

January 12, 2014 12:27 pm  #371

I'm not sure if this is the right thread to discuss this, but I didn't want to open a new one just for that. So here goes.

Just the other day, I was thinking it would be really interesting to explore Sherlock's capabilities of emotional deceit in a fanfic. (Which I haven't. Yet anyway.) We know he's not good with emotions -- neither reading nor expressing them. I'm sure he feels them, but I think he processes them differently.

But we do know that he's mastered the art of pretending to express emotions when it suits his purpose. What comes to mind is the scene, can't remember which episode, where he pretends to be distraught over someone's death just to get information out of this man's wife. Then the scene in SIB where he pretends he's scared to death, just to get into Irene Adler's house. And the big doozies, of course, where he delivers his fake mobile phone suicide note to John in TRF, and when he tricks him on the tube carriage in TEH.

In short: Sherlock's a manipulative little bastard, if you ask me.  (I will be getting to the point, just bear with me.)

Wouldn't it be interesting to have a boy-who-cried-wolf situation where Sherlock is truly distraught over something, perhaps he even gets teary-eyed, and John witnesses it, but doesn't quite know whether to buy it? John's been at the receiving end of the stick one too many times to take Sherlock's emotional expression for what it seems to be, and I think it would make for a great, angsty situation if we saw Sherlock truly exposing his emotions, and John not believing them.

Thoughts?

Last edited by TeeJay (January 12, 2014 1:09 pm)

January 12, 2014 12:50 pm  #372

Yeah there will be a time when that trick stops working on John. Maybe it's tonight. 

January 12, 2014 2:51 pm  #373

Sob.

January 12, 2014 5:48 pm  #374

This whole revival of Sherlock is a study of the relationship between Sherlock and John. It was decided and told us with the naming of the first episode.

"A study in pink."
Of all the colours in the rainbow to replace Scarlett with, they chose pink? Not red for blood or love ..or yellow or lime green which fits in better tbh with the media deduction , but pink.
Pink as a euphemism for gay , like the pink paper..the pink list.. the pink pound.
Sherlock even shouted out to us out loud "why pink!?"

The main storyline in all this is the character develmont and growing relationship between them.

At first Johns attraction is obvious ,Sherlock deduces it but shuts it down immediately , Sherlock is not intrested all.
However as the series progresses that starts to change , the relationship becomes ever more closer and symbiotic.
Thus by the end of TGG Moriarty points out quite clearly where Johns cards..and Sherlocks heart lie.
By the time TRF comes about it's clear either one would die for the other, and in series 3 the love is so out in the open Sherlock is stating it in front of whole crowds.

Now the love question has been realised, we need to look at the is it sexual love aspect.
Obviously at first Sherlock is no where near ready or even intrested at first , but this does seem to be slowly changing.
Irene is  the sexpert..I agree, for her , she and John are both sexually arracted to Sherlock.look at us both is her evaluation,  and at the end Sherlock himself deduces and prooves this to be true.
But is Sherlock sexually attracted to them ... Irene is not so sure about him. Why? I think thats because Sherlock himself is not so sure anymore.

In the TSOT last week the episode that should of ended the idea of a sexual attraction/element to the relationship , it seemed we were given more evidence than ever that there actually was.
Just look at the drunken game.... do you like me..am I pretty..Q's...and the we don't mind touching each other scene that ended in a literal and metaphorical mess on the carpet. Further Mrs Hudson's ... you should be with the one you click with morality tale.
John/Mary isn't right and won't last is the message.

So what is the endgame....where will the character's development end....
This is a study in pink remember.... not loveheart red...or boring blue but pink!
One or both of them must be pink....... to me, it looks like it might, in the end be both.

:-)

Last edited by lil (January 12, 2014 5:53 pm)

January 12, 2014 5:50 pm  #375

lil wrote:

Pink as a euphemism for gay

Is it? Shouldn't it rather have been "A Study in Rainbow Colours"?

January 12, 2014 5:54 pm  #376

I agree.
These boys love each other, no doubt.
But even up to The Sign of Three: John has married a woman and Sherlock cringes twice at the mention of sex.
John is straight.
God knows about Sherlock, but there has never been anything to suggest he's gay.

January 12, 2014 6:13 pm  #377

besleybean wrote:

I agree.
These boys love each other, no doubt.
But even up to The Sign of Three: John has married a woman and Sherlock cringes twice at the mention of sex.
John is straight.
God knows about Sherlock, but there has never been anything to suggest he's gay.

Sherlock thought John was hitting on him first episode, was Sherlock wrong?

Moriarty deduced they loved each other...and he even played gay to get Sherlock attention.  Why gay?

So did Irene , she thought it was sexual even tho she was gay and John was..mostly straight.

Even Mycroft insinuates it..several times.
Is everyone wrong...or is Sherlock Johns exception, just as John is his?
This thing is growing...ooops pun....but not yet complete.

Last edited by lil (January 12, 2014 6:53 pm)

January 12, 2014 6:15 pm  #378

No Sherlock didn't think that at all, he was teasing John!
Yes, they do love each other- doesn't mean they want to shag each other.
Irene was teasing, too.
I suspect Mycroft IS gay.
Ian Hallard has also said BBC Sherlock will not make Johnlock happen.

Last edited by besleybean (January 12, 2014 6:16 pm)

January 12, 2014 6:23 pm  #379

I don't think Sherlock was teasing John, they weren't in that stage of their relationship yet - they hardly knew each other. He was being serious - not sure if his deduction was actually that, a deduction, or just him reacting to what John said... but he was serious.

I do think it's true what Mofftiss have said - John isn't wired that way - but it's also true that Moffat lies - trust me on this, please.  
I think everybody thinks John is in denial.
I am convinced they want to keep their options open.

January 12, 2014 6:50 pm  #380

Not according to every single member of the Sherlock tream in every single interview they've ever given and also not according to Canon...
Bromance, not romance...think I'll have that on my tombstone!

Board footera