BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 21, 2012 1:51 am  #1

The Telegraph: Benedict wants to play Hamlet

Here's a link to an article today in The Telegraph, where Ben says he wants to play Hamlet:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/celebritynews/9342061/Sherlock-actor-Benedict-Cumberbatch-plans-to-play-Hamlet.html

This would be wicked cool to see!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.  -- Helen Keller

June 21, 2012 3:35 am  #2

Re: The Telegraph: Benedict wants to play Hamlet

Sherli Bakerst wrote:

Here's a link to an article today in The Telegraph, where Ben says he wants to play Hamlet:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/celebritynews/9342061/Sherlock-actor-Benedict-Cumberbatch-plans-to-play-Hamlet.html

This would be wicked cool to see!

It would, but he has to hurry up. Hamlet is supposed to be a student-aged. Of course, that didn't stop a lot of older actors playing him. I loved Kenneth Branaugh's film. And I'd love to see BC do it, too.

June 21, 2012 7:01 am  #3

I would love to see him as Hamlet. Would be a nice opportunity for a small cultural side trip to London.

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

June 21, 2012 8:39 am  #4

Oh, my God... Ben as Hamlet... I could die of joy

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Waiting for a crazy man in a blue box to fall from the sky...

But the thing is, we've taken away all the things that can possibly have happened, so I suppose the only thing that's left, even though it seems really weird, must be the thing that did happen, in fact. (Miss Marple)

June 21, 2012 8:50 am  #5

Irene Adler wrote:

... I could die of joy

To die, to sleep … don't do that, Irene, it would spoil your fun in seeing Benedict on stage, pale, all in black, skull in hand. That reminds me, he's got one prop already at home  .

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

June 21, 2012 9:06 am  #6

Ah yes, Hamlet. It's apparently THE role that every actor dreams of playing. I've never really understood why. I mean yes it is a complex and challenging character to sustain in a live performance...I just don't really get why it's the goal for so many actors to reach. Like you're not a real actor until you've played Hamlet.

Having said that, I think he'd be absolutely amazing in that role.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I dislike being outnumbered. It makes for too much stupid in the room

June 21, 2012 9:29 am  #7

There's another thing I'd love about him playing Hamlet on a London stage. I think it's great that in spite of his enormous international success he doesn't seem to give in to the temptation of doing only big Hollywood movies from now an. Dreaming of playing Hamlet, doing a new season of Cabin Pressure, that's just very endearing.

June 21, 2012 10:55 am  #8

SusiGo wrote:

Irene Adler wrote:

... I could die of joy

To die, to sleep … don't do that, Irene, it would spoil your fun in seeing Benedict on stage, pale, all in black, skull in hand. That reminds me, he's got one prop already at home  .

Oh, yes, I shouldn't do that. But believe me, I could do it. I first read Hamlet when I was 16 and I love that play since then. I know parts by heart. And thanks to Hamlet I started reading other Shakespeare plays. Now I have even read some of them in English (pretty difficult, but my edition of the complete works has some kind of glossary of "ancient" English words and expressions translated to "present" English, adn that way it's a bit easier).

So yes, I could die of joy  Not that I will have the chance to see it, living where I live, but... just thinking of it...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

But the thing is, we've taken away all the things that can possibly have happened, so I suppose the only thing that's left, even though it seems really weird, must be the thing that did happen, in fact. (Miss Marple)

June 21, 2012 8:10 pm  #9

Irene Adler wrote:

SusiGo wrote:

Irene Adler wrote:

... I could die of joy

Oh, yes, I shouldn't do that. But believe me, I could do it. I first read Hamlet when I was 16 and I love that play since then. I know parts by heart. And thanks to Hamlet I started reading other Shakespeare plays. Now I have even read some of them in English (pretty difficult, but my edition of the complete works has some kind of glossary of "ancient" English words and expressions translated to "present" English, adn that way it's a bit easier).

So yes, I could die of joy  Not that I will have the chance to see it, living where I live, but... just thinking of it...

Sometimes we native speakers need the notes, too.

June 21, 2012 8:49 pm  #10

Oh my croft...
That would be it.
Him as Hamlet... oh my. This would be too perfect.

I'm a HUGE Shakespeare fan and Hamlet is my favourite, has always been!
In fact, I'm not even joking... I re-watched my DVD of Hamlet with David Tennant today! Weird coincidence.
I love Tennant version of it to bits, but imagining our Cumberbatch as Hamlet on stage.. 

I would do anything to see that live. Please please please universe, make this happen!
Oh... Hamlet... and Benedict!

Yeah, that being said I just realized that I spend most of my time on this forum running around and yelling "I love that! And that!". Haha.

June 21, 2012 8:57 pm  #11

If  he plays Hamlet I will absolutely, definitely, assuredly, surely go to see it! But I know how the story ends 

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

June 24, 2012 10:06 am  #12

Davina wrote:

If  he plays Hamlet I will absolutely, definitely, assuredly, surely go to see it! But I know how the story ends 

Oh. God. Yes. I'm not going to miss this one, it's not so far from here to London after all. But it's a pity we all know how the story ends and NO, THIS TIME HE'S NOT COMING BACK!

June 24, 2012 11:16 am  #13

I first watched Hamlet as a very, very small child (Pre-schooler- yeah I know, precocious!) on our funny old tv  with Barry Foster as Hamlet. I can still remember him being carried out above the heads of some courtiers. I will have to take a packet of tissues with me if when I go to see it again.

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

June 24, 2012 11:59 am  #14

Won't miss this for the world!

John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

June 24, 2012 12:13 pm  #15

I am starting to think that planning a vacation to London and immersing myself in West End theatre and all things Sherlock would be a very good thing. Especially if I could see Ben in Hamlet and Lara in whatever play du jour she is brightening with her presence.

Disguise is always a self portrait

June 24, 2012 2:03 pm  #16

SP - A trip to London is almost always a good idea. (The almost just recognizing the Olympics crush this year.)
But I agree that a Sherlock-themed trip is even better.

Sammy - We watched DT in Hamlet because we love Shakespeare and figured we'd give him a chance. (Not particularly Dr. Who fans, but don't beat us up.) We were very pleasantly surprised. Would love to see BC in it, too. I got to see Ralph Fiennes some ime ago on stage in NYC.

We're lucky here. The Royal Shakespeare Company has been to our city several times. A person could get spoiled.

June 24, 2012 4:51 pm  #17

veecee wrote:

I got to see Ralph Fiennes some ime ago on stage in NYC.

We're lucky here. The Royal Shakespeare Company has been to our city several times. A person could get spoiled.

Jealousy is about to kill me... Mr Fiennes himself? What would I give to have been able to see that!
That version is the one that got him the Tony Award, isn't it?

June 24, 2012 5:30 pm  #18

Hate me more. I bought my ticket the same day and was two rows back and dead center.
Don't know about the award, but it wouldn't surprise me.

June 26, 2012 5:55 am  #19

I would pay a lot of money to watch Benedict play Hamlet. Brilliant story, brilliant character. Ironically, I've found myself thinking about how fantastic it would be if Benedict Cumberbatch were to play Hamlet many times in the past!

Last edited by VivaCohen (June 26, 2012 5:56 am)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved,
desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn!" - Jack Kerouac

October 7, 2012 4:15 pm  #20

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

Board footera