BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 19, 2012 7:42 pm  #1

Fortysomething (2003)

I was surprised that there isn't a thread for this already!
A little Rory Slippery appreciation thread?

So... anyone seen this? (Well, I did, obviously.)
It's basically a comedy about a man in mid-life crisis. It consists of one season with 6 episodes.

June 19, 2012 8:13 pm  #2

Re: Fortysomething (2003)

At the latest after the fifth episode I had become that fond of the Slippery family that I was quite sad that there wasn't a sequel to the series.
Oh, that hugging scene with teddy bear... Hugh Laurie and Benedict as father and son...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

June 20, 2012 7:31 pm  #3

The show is quite weird but very funny

And I agree, Hugh Laurie and Benedict? Perfection!
And our Benny is sooo young and cute in this... 

Guys, it's a recommendation!

July 13, 2012 10:38 pm  #4

I am watching it right now (am on episode 3). Love it , very funny ( zany sometimes, but I like zany) . Great group of actors. Benedict 10 years ago was adorable. Love his character, as well. BTW, he plays with the rubber ball in the show ( out of frustration)- exactly like in the "RF" episode.

July 14, 2012 10:03 am  #5

I absolutely loved this show...the casting was perfect. It was funny, sad, real, weird and a whole bunch of other good things

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I dislike being outnumbered. It makes for too much stupid in the room

September 13, 2012 12:29 am  #6

Saw it - so funny!  Love seeing Benedict so young (hard to believe 2003 was 9 years ago - he was only 27, the same age as my husband is now) and together with Hugh Laurie!  Definitely check it out of you have Netflix.

September 13, 2012 6:21 am  #7

Just put it on my Youtube to-do list. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

September 13, 2012 3:42 pm  #8

And the list gets longer ..... and longer............

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

November 4, 2012 4:12 pm  #9

I love this show! It's a great, oddly twisted family dramedy. And Ben is so young and sweet and charming it.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is a cash and carry world. You pay as you go. Sometimes it's a little. Mostly it's a lot. Sometimes it's all you have.

November 4, 2012 4:45 pm  #10

And I love him driving a blue VW Beetle. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

November 4, 2012 5:00 pm  #11

As our tv stopped working yesterday I watched the first 2 episodes (or 3?) last night. Very funny and, yes, Ben's so cute there....

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

June 19, 2013 3:16 am  #12

Just watched the first episode of this...

OMG SHERLOCK IS HOUSE'S SON! It allllllllll makes sense........

(in other news, BabyBatch is ADORBS!)

June 19, 2013 5:38 am  #13

There's a nice video somewhere on Youtube (and over here). It's a House-Sherlock crossover with a bit of Fortysomething and shows them as father and son. 

June 19, 2013 6:35 am  #14

SusiGo wrote:

There's a nice video somewhere on Youtube (and over here). It's a House-Sherlock crossover with a bit of Fortysomething and shows them as father and son. 

You mean this one?   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXpyCa9IcEM   ;)  ;)
(wanted to let the other poster know where it was without filling the thread with an unrelated big video, but yes, it's seriously awesome... honestly one of my favorite crossover-music-mix vids I've seen.  Merry - the maker of that video had pretty much the same thought about the awesome parallels that happened to occur with both those great British actors being 'relatives', then 'growing up' to be House and Sherlock!  Bits of both shows with their 'past' in Fortysomething, to a perfect tune.  Pretty neat, huh?)

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

June 19, 2013 6:39 am  #15

Yes, that's it! Thank you, isn't it brilliant? 

Last edited by SusiGo (June 19, 2013 6:40 am)

June 19, 2013 11:08 pm  #16

Just watched first episode.  Dear lord Ben is an infant!!!

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

June 20, 2013 3:24 am  #17

SusiGo wrote:

Yes, that's it! Thank you, isn't it brilliant? 

Some great fan vids give you a laugh or super-sweet swirled up moment for one or two times, then seen enough.  Some are put together awesomely enough or with such a neat idea that I can bring them out over and over and over again... obviously saved this one because it fell into the latter category, yes...     (As did the 'Shell Shocked' vid I posted once, the Doctor Who/Sherlock music video mashup posted here, and the parody Sherlock Nikon ads.... love 'em).   Feel like I really need to catch up on Fortysomething, again....      *adds to too-big list...*

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

Board footera