BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 11, 2013 2:31 am  #621

Re: Cabin pressure

Thanks to Susi, who sent me the BBC link, I was able to listen at work today too.  So funny! What is Birling Day anyway?  I haven't listened to many of the past episodes so I think I might have missed something...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And I said "dangerous" and here you are.

You. It's always you. John Watson, you keep me right.

January 11, 2013 3:49 am  #622

Birling Day is the annual day where MJN flies the wealthy Mr. Birling to the Six Nations rugby final. They all look forward to it, because even though Mr. Birling is pompous he gives huge tips to people he likes. Meanwhile, Douglas and Carolyn usually wage a war of whits over the bottle of expensive whiskey that Mr. Birling insists he have on his flight.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is a cash and carry world. You pay as you go. Sometimes it's a little. Mostly it's a lot. Sometimes it's all you have.

January 11, 2013 4:15 am  #623

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong  but I believe Birling Day was first mentioned in the Series 2 episode Edinburgh.  I know it's Series 2 because that's as far as I've gotten in listening and I just heard it a couple weeks ago over my vacation.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.  -- Helen Keller

January 11, 2013 7:11 am  #624

They had Birling Day in Edinburgh (series 1), Paris (series 3), and Timbuktu (series 4). 

Last edited by SusiGo (January 11, 2013 7:14 am)

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 11, 2013 11:09 am  #625

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 11, 2013 11:41 am  #626

Right episode, wrong series--thanks, SusiGo! 

Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.  -- Helen Keller

January 11, 2013 1:53 pm  #627

Birling Day is always to take him to see Wales play in the 6 Nations. (Mind you, the way they have been playing lately...loved the way that made it into the episode!) 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

January 12, 2013 7:21 pm  #628

I'm quite new to CP - have been avoiding it for the sake of self protection - so far...
But I'm afraid I love it now.
An hour ago, on the train, I, reading on my Kindle, was sitting beside a Roger Allam type of flight captain (going by his uniform with three yellow stripes on his sleeve) , reading on his Kindle. I found this funny! 

John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

January 12, 2013 7:23 pm  #629

You won't regret it. And I love Roger Allam's voice. You should have talked to the man to check if his was as wonderful as Roger's. 

January 12, 2013 8:05 pm  #630

Jelly Babies to manual. No...really...I'm eating them now! Major question though. Heads or feet first? 

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

January 12, 2013 8:17 pm  #631

Went to Bonn today. Saw some Yellow Cars. 

January 12, 2013 8:18 pm  #632

Is that Bonn Bonn? Or Bonn?

January 12, 2013 8:24 pm  #633

Always heads!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 12, 2013 8:28 pm  #634

Davina wrote:

Is that Bonn Bonn? Or Bonn?

Actually it was Bonn Bonn. Bonn would have been the code for Baden-Baden. 

January 12, 2013 8:33 pm  #635

Bonbon???

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

January 12, 2013 8:55 pm  #636

Yay! You got it!   

January 12, 2013 8:55 pm  #637

And what about Can-can?

January 15, 2013 12:25 pm  #638

@Davina: I bite off the outside then eat the inside jelly. Slightly weird so I don't do it in public...

I was wondering if you'd like to have coffee...
Hmm. I really don't know. Oh, I'm sorry, did I say 'know'? I meant 'care'. I don't really care. 
Douglas Richardson, Cremona

January 15, 2013 1:54 pm  #639

That's ghastly Molly! 

January 15, 2013 6:39 pm  #640

Davina wrote:

That's ghastly Molly! 

Well, I better don't tell how I eat filled chocolate. Or chocolate marshmellows.

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

Board footera