BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 21, 2012 3:34 pm  #361

Re: Cabin pressure

Sherli Bakerst wrote:

I haven't heard Ottery St. Mary (haven't bought the episodes yet) but I just read that that's the birthplace of Samuel Taylor Coleridge.  Is that mentioned in the episode?  Here's the site where I learned this:

http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/samuel-taylor-coleridge-is-born?et_cid=48026676&et_rid=810234944&linkid=http%3a%2f%2fwww.history.com%2fthis-day-in-history%2fsamuel-taylor-coleridge-is-born

I don't think so, but it's a good excuse to listen to it again, I might have missed it.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Valentine:  Do you know the stars, Mr Tietjens?
Christopher:  I despise astronomy.

October 21, 2012 3:46 pm  #362

No, but we had plenty of power cuts during the 3 day gales.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

October 21, 2012 3:53 pm  #363

tiharoa wrote:

QuiteExtraordinary wrote:

Davina wrote:

I've posted this photo in another thread but it is too lovely not to post here. A baby otter...

Aw, it's really cute. I have a personal connection to otters because I wrote my diploma thesis about mink which are close relatives of them. The study was conducted in a zoo which is keeping predominantly otters, so I learned a lot about them. They are really intelligent and playful and fun to watch. As long as they are not in the flight deck, of course.

I became passionate about otters when I was a child. Where I use to live there where many otters, although of the more elusive kind. They then disappeared due to the increasing pollution of waterways.  Now I go often otter spotting in Scotland even if that involves being cold, wet and often covered in mud (not in ottery kisses). I believe they're.... brilliant!
Sea otters are really a delight to watch either froliching in water or playing in the snow.
Ottery St.Mary 

Davina, that photo is just adorable. And I bet you could fit even more baby otters on a plane than adult ones. Now we need a baby photo of Ben to see if there is a resemblance.

tiharoa - Where is the otter spotting in Scotland? I have seen sea otters off the coast of the NW United States. So cute as they seem to play. Aren't there river otters as well?

October 21, 2012 3:54 pm  #364

tiharoa wrote:

Sherli Bakerst wrote:

I haven't heard Ottery St. Mary (haven't bought the episodes yet) but I just read that that's the birthplace of Samuel Taylor Coleridge.  Is that mentioned in the episode?  Here's the site where I learned this:

http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/samuel-taylor-coleridge-is-born?et_cid=48026676&et_rid=810234944&linkid=http%3a%2f%2fwww.history.com%2fthis-day-in-history%2fsamuel-taylor-coleridge-is-born

I don't think so, but it's a good excuse to listen to it again, I might have missed it.

No Coleridge in there. Just otters. But do you really need an excuse to listen to Ottery St Mary? 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

October 21, 2012 5:20 pm  #365

veecee wrote:

tiharoa wrote:

QuiteExtraordinary wrote:

Aw, it's really cute. I have a personal connection to otters because I wrote my diploma thesis about mink which are close relatives of them. The study was conducted in a zoo which is keeping predominantly otters, so I learned a lot about them. They are really intelligent and playful and fun to watch. As long as they are not in the flight deck, of course.

I became passionate about otters when I was a child. Where I use to live there where many otters, although of the more elusive kind. They then disappeared due to the increasing pollution of waterways.  Now I go often otter spotting in Scotland even if that involves being cold, wet and often covered in mud (not in ottery kisses). I believe they're.... brilliant!
Sea otters are really a delight to watch either froliching in water or playing in the snow.
Ottery St.Mary 

Davina, that photo is just adorable. And I bet you could fit even more baby otters on a plane than adult ones. Now we need a baby photo of Ben to see if there is a resemblance.

tiharoa - Where is the otter spotting in Scotland? I have seen sea otters off the coast of the NW United States. So cute as they seem to play. Aren't there river otters as well?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

October 21, 2012 6:12 pm  #366

veecee wrote:

I have a holiday cottage in Shetland so I go there and for what I know it's considered the best place, but you can see them easily on Skye and Mull too. You can find them really everywhere in Scotland you just need some luck . They aren't really sea otter (those are the north american ones), they just adapted perfectly to the marine habitat. The otters that live by the rivers usually spend less time in the water.

The otter picture was taken by Brydon, my fav guide, I hope he won't be upset when I tell him.

October 21, 2012 6:15 pm  #367

Where abouts is your cottage?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

October 21, 2012 6:27 pm  #368

besleybean wrote:

Where abouts is your cottage?

Skerries

October 21, 2012 11:57 pm  #369

tiharoa wrote:

veecee wrote:

I have a holiday cottage in Shetland so I go there and for what I know it's considered the best place, but you can see them easily on Skye and Mull too. You can find them really everywhere in Scotland you just need some luck . They aren't really sea otter (those are the north american ones), they just adapted perfectly to the marine habitat. The otters that live by the rivers usually spend less time in the water.

The otter picture was taken by Brydon, my fav guide, I hope he won't be upset when I tell him.

Thank you!

October 21, 2012 11:58 pm  #370

Have fun playing you-know-what.

October 22, 2012 5:51 am  #371

Brilliant!

October 22, 2012 6:14 am  #372

tiharoa wrote:

veecee wrote:

A holiday cottage in Shetland sounds wonderful. And a great place for otter spotting, as it seems. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

October 22, 2012 4:36 pm  #373

SusiGo wrote:

A holiday cottage in Shetland sounds wonderful. And a great place for otter spotting, as it seems. 

I can tell you it's not that good for playing Yellow car but my niece managed to jump out of the ditch where we were hiding shouting "Yellow otter!". I must admit her coat was quite light but  the other people in the party didn't really appreciate the joke. We came close to be banned forever.

Last edited by tiharoa (October 22, 2012 5:07 pm)

October 22, 2012 6:00 pm  #374

tiharoa wrote:

SusiGo wrote:

I can tell you it's not that good for playing Yellow car but my niece managed to jump out of the ditch where we were hiding shouting "Yellow otter!". I must admit her coat was quite light but  the other people in the party didn't really appreciate the joke. We came close to be banned forever.

You can't fool me. I see and observe. These are not otters.

October 22, 2012 6:11 pm  #375

veecee wrote:

tiharoa wrote:

SusiGo wrote:

You can't fool me. I see and observe. These are not otters.

You're right of course, the handsome fellow above it a NZ Sea Lion that decided to follow me home and spend the night in my garden

October 22, 2012 6:16 pm  #376

Wow. And I thought our coyote was something. This guy has him beat.

(I think you mean "yard" in American English.)

October 22, 2012 6:37 pm  #377

veecee wrote:

Wow. And I thought our coyote was something. This guy has him beat.

(I think you mean "yard" in American English.)

I don't have much of a yard and as it's just trees I suppose I should call it bush but I still hope to get a garden out of it. The flower bed was still under construction at the time, luckily I must say.

October 22, 2012 6:41 pm  #378

Yeah, having 500 lbs or more of animal going through your garden is not usually recommended.

October 22, 2012 7:31 pm  #379

I also knew it wasn't Shetland!

October 23, 2012 8:32 am  #380

....you know that you're obsessed with CP when you listen to a radio commercial and they mention "Abu Dhabi" and all you can think of is......................

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

Board footera